Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Question

When I removed my lifters to look for a possible tapping problem, I noticed I could not compress any of their plungers using a pushrod. I assumed this was because they were still full of oil.
I just bought a set of Comp Cams 850 stock replacement lifters. With about half of them, I am able to press down on the plunger and get a little movement. With the others, I cannot get any movement at all. I have not cleaned or soaked them in oil yet.

Should I be able to press on the old ones and get some movement?
Should I be able to press on the new ones and get movement?
Will the new ones be harder to press on once they are soaked in oil?

This is my first time messing with these with the faint hope that one of the old lifters is defective and is the cause of the tapping problem.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 04-02-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first of all make sure you don't have any bent pushrods. And as for the lifters, usually you can press the plunger a little new, but not always.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
first of all make sure you don't have any bent pushrods. And as for the lifters, usually you can press the plunger a little new, but not always.
Thanks. Yea, I checked all of the pushrods, rockers, old lifters, cam lobes, basically everything I could without pulling the cam. Since I'm putting it back together, I figured I should replace the lifters (car has 90K miles on it). No metal in the oil. If the sound doesn't go away after reassembly, I will try to diagnose a bad wrist pin. I sure hope not...