Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Needing Help Real Quick

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Needing Help Real Quick

What's going on guys. I don't frequent this section much but I'm needing help bad. My fiancé ran her car, 2001 3.8 V6 Camaro out of gas yesterday. Well I put about a 1/4 of a tanks worth in and like always, the car doesn't start at first so I prime the fuel pump and all of a sudden, the car catches fire and starts running. I let the car sit and idle for a minute and all of a sudden after I like it's ok, my fiancé gets in it and takes off easy so she doesn't over do it until we know for sure that's gonna work and gets about 75 yards and the car dies again. After the car dies, I just left if there and pushed it into a parking spot and am leaving it there over night. I'm wondering if there's either trash in the fuel pump and/or in the fuel filter or if it's something that I'm not thinking of. Any help would be greatly appreciated cause I've been up for a while worrying its something major.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel filter is cheap and easy enough to change, that's be a good starting point. You can rent a fuel pressure tester from Autozone and see if the pump is at least getting pressure built up in rails (doesn't tell you if it is flowing enough volume though, unless it starts to drop pressure and die while you're watching the gauge).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I let the car sit over night and went back the next day and started it and everything was fine until today, it did it again and wasn't out of gas this time so I think I'm gonna swap out fuel filters tomorrow first and hope that helps since the car is sitting in my fire departments parking lot out of the way of traffic if need be. While I'm getting the filter, I'll look into the pressure gauge also and see. I've read though that some gauges doesn't go high enough for these cars or is it just the V8's?

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android