Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley Hp Efi VS HPT/EFI Live??

Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Holley Hp Efi VS HPT/EFI Live??

How do you guys like the Holley efi hp? Im back in forth with using my stock pcm and buying a standalone harness.....or getting the holley pcm and their ls1 harness and using the stock coils....they fixed that **** with the coils and boost rite? lol

I want to start tuning my know car again, had a honda couple years ago and using Hondata s300 and it was so easy tuning it. If I use the stock pcm it will be either Hp tuners or Efi Live....How easy is it to setup the Holley compared to the HpT/Efi Live?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty, This will probably be somewhat lengthy, and sparatic as more things come to mind, lmao

First and Foremost, i want to let it be known, i do NOT like HPT. I dont like the interface, i hated how long it took to make changes, and upload the changes. NOW, ive been playing with it again latley and its much faster, but compared to the holley, you snap your fingers and the changes are uploaded, cycle the power, done.

At the moment, Im using the DIS coils, and honestly, its not bad, they just look like ****, lol.

The holley was SUPER easy to setup, literally, you can start with a Base LS1 tune file, DBC, and go from their, or you can create your own, which i did, now.

Just about all the parameters that dictate what kind of setup you are running are drop down menus, super easy to navigate.

I had some small trouble with getting it to idle and at the end it was a simple fueling issue and trying to change to many things at once.

Now that im into the Holley, i couldnt see changing, ive not had the pleasure of playing with a BS3 or Fast Xfi, just Holley and HPT and some EFI Live.

My only real complaints about the Holley, 1. DIS coils, 2. I suck at de-pinning harnesses and putting them back together, so i still have NOT hooked up either 2 step or my Tach wire.

The Holley was INCREDIBLY easy to wire up, i noticed a few things going through the install manual, one specific said to use sheilding wire around the crank and cam wires, however, HOlley was bad *** enough to do that from the factory.

The learn is something weird, without a doubt, Im not sure if this is accurate, what im about to type, i have not tried to look into it, as it just happened.

The other night, i was out giving her hell, and made a post about 185KPA, i believe i was wrong, as it was about 90*out that night.

Now, i was out again Sunday and was giving her a bit more hell and staying in her longer, etc. and watching the boost gauge, never passed 8 or 9 psi.

With that said, I THINK the holley was PROJECTING the amount of fuel i was going to be using, and adding it to my base fuel map, because i was getting learn data past where i was at and it was probably 80* out.

The boost control and Stock coil thing bugs me, but ive held onto my coils waiting and the boost control is coming, eventually, lol.

As far as the stock coil issue being fixed, i dont really know the real answer to that. Ive been told both ways. lol

Anyway, I personally love the Holley HP EFI, and think its a great tool.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the being so detailed. Yea im scared to dump $1500 in the Holley if I cant turn my motor into a boost *****! lmao Ive read a couple things are people said they fixed the problem...it what the coil drivers and they needed a hardware update. If someone could verify if that fixed the problem would be great...lol

And do you think if you turned the self learn off that you wouldnt see the problem with adding fuel?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

I'm still interested in doing the same thing you are also with the Holley. In saying that and bare with me, it sounds like the holley kind of has the same feature as a power commander 5 with autotune for a crotch rocket or bike in the fact that you can load a base tune and the auto learn is constantly making ajustments to driving habits and then allows you to save it or let it try to tune on its own? sorry if that was a bad example but I'm just trying to clarify so I can understand you right. I'm literally a week away from either a BS3 or the Holley...BS3 is an older system but its proven and the Holley is brand new which from what ive read is a better interface software but the coil issue concerns me also so im at a toss up as to which one to get.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I was actually saying that i liked what it was doing,lol

Just found out, it was actually "thinking ahead" and making sure the fueling was close in areas that i hadnt been yet.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

As far as the coil issue, i would simply call Holley before you purchase, this way you can be sure that you are getting what you want/need.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

i guess my last question would be is there anything that the BS3 possibly has that the holley does not? Im looking to get something that will be the most user friendly software to use essentially a "engine management system for dummies" lol
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6 Z28
i guess my last question would be is there anything that the BS3 possibly has that the holley does not? Im looking to get something that will be the most user friendly software to use essentially a "engine management system for dummies" lol
Then the Holley system is for you. Definitely the most use friendly system I've used.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Have you thought about megasquirt ms3x?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

I want something more "main stream" and to have customer support...you know somebody to yell at when **** goes crazy...lol
Old 07-21-2012, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver T
Then the Holley system is for you. Definitely the most use friendly system I've used.
Thanks Silver T
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to Holley,coil issue is fixed!u send in your PCM and they send u replacement!!love my Holley setup
Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Bmf5150...free of charge? If so that great glad you posted!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes,free of charge!call and talk to tech guys
Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man....makes me feel better about goin to Holley PCM...I'll call them tomorrow
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, they are fixed...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Someone is giving you incorrect information.

We have made significant progress with the GM coils in high horsepower (1000 Horsepower +) applications.

There is not a problem with the GM coils when used in engines with less cylinder pressure.

We curently offer a Holley DIS coil kit to work on the high horsepower combinations.

If you have specific issues please call or e mail Holey Tech Service. They will work with you.

Thanks

Robin
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Robin, how about some first hand info on the boost control!?!?

One of the reasons 3 of us locally in the Quad Cities elected to use the system!

Andy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley Hp Efi VS HPT/EFI Live??