Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

TSP true duals and ca smog

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP true duals and ca smog

I currently have kooks lt headers and tsp true dual setup on my car. i'm going to be in school in CA for the next couple of years and i was wondering if my setup would be legal if i had the stock exh manifold put back on and the only exh mod i kept on my car was the true duals. if anyone can direct me to someone to contact for a reliable answer to this question it would be appreciated. thank you for your time.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Teching In

...what if you just get someone to "pass" it for you
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Teching In

i may be wrong but i seem to remember the dmv having people do an inspection also. even if they just look under my hood they may notice the missing egr. isn't it also expensive to get people to do that stuff since it can cost them big?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

$150 is the going rate to my understanding
Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Teching In

how do people go about getting cars like this passed?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws-6driver
how do people go about getting cars like this passed?
Typically people wont answer that on the boards... Just ask around at smog shops and find your hookup.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Where do you currently live? If your parents live out of state, you could always keep your car registered using their address. Just my opinion, but that would be the best bet for you.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02SS#214
Where do you currently live? If your parents live out of state, you could always keep your car registered using their address. Just my opinion, but that would be the best bet for you.
I live in CA now and so do my parents. I'm from here but i plan on leaving when i'm done with school(somewhere with more reasonable smog reqs).
Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In ohio the people at e check told me my car shouldnt even be on the road lol,in cali good luck,i just had my car titled in my brother township so no more echeck, but seriously this thread title made me laugh,no cats/dumped exhaust from what i hear will give ya tons of issues
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws-6driver
i may be wrong but i seem to remember the dmv having people do an inspection also. even if they just look under my hood they may notice the missing egr. isn't it also expensive to get people to do that stuff since it can cost them big?
You don't need to take it to DMV. There are plenty of third party companies companies that you can go through to register your car. As long as you pass smog and your car has the California emissions sticker under the hood, your GTG.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Teching In

technically if your a full time student you don't have to get Ca plates.
that's the only loop hole i know of. the In Company may try and give u some flack about it, but just stick to your guns & keep saying I'm just hear for school. i had my 84 Z28 with headers & no cat when i moved to Ca From IL, I also had it reg out in the boon docks so i had no IL smog :/ but i had my mom back in ill to send me the paper work when it was due. but you can have your mail forwarded @ your home town post offices to your new address, it will just take a lit longer to get. if u get smog a notice from home you will need to inform them the car is presently & will be out of state.... well in school. good luck
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Teching In

caligaynia, im demoding my z28 to pass emissions what a pain, long tube headers 2 qtp cut outs no cats , 230-236 cam , i should be good with my 3500 sti stall and 393 gears not too sure about my fast 90/90, so gay
Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CA DMV website has the answers to all your questions.

Easy answer: If you put back in the stock exhaust manifolds, cats in their stock position, aren't running O2 sims (or are and they aren't visually noticed) or have them tuned out, reconnect the EGR, you will pass visual. You did not mention an aftermarket cam and its size, assuming you don't have one, you should pass the sniffer too.

It is my understanding the TDs fall under dB guidelines, unrelated to smog.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gorr4
technically if your a full time student you don't have to get Ca plates.
that's the only loop hole i know of. the In Company may try and give u some flack about it, but just stick to your guns & keep saying I'm just hear for school. i had my 84 Z28 with headers & no cat when i moved to Ca From IL, I also had it reg out in the boon docks so i had no IL smog :/ but i had my mom back in ill to send me the paper work when it was due. but you can have your mail forwarded @ your home town post offices to your new address, it will just take a lit longer to get. if u get smog a notice from home you will need to inform them the car is presently & will be out of state.... well in school. good luck
According to the DMV, as soon as you enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident, you have to pay registration on your vehicle in CA.

Your situation is different, it sounds like you were not a CA resident. But, if you worked in CA or rented/leased a residence, you were required to register your vehicle. If you did any of those, you were required to pay reg fees.. NO loophole, you just got away with it.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Launching!

what if you have houses in two states?

like on paper i live in NV but i go to school here in cali?

also having a military id helps
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Teching In

yeah I retired @ 25, never worked in Ca & still had a Ill address at the time so idk that was 10 years ago... but point is, it's only you that knows, just have to sell it

it's been a long time, but i drove with my IL plates for 2 years before i parted the car out. whenever i got stopped & told "you have to..." i told em "i'm just hear for school." i did have to get my auto Ins in CA tho..

If you decide to say then so be it & conform until you find the necessary resources to bend the rules good luck
Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racerfox
what if you have houses in two states?

like on paper i live in NV but i go to school here in cali?

also having a military id helps
I'm all for skirting the rules, saving money, by all means I would use the NV address for registration and insurance purposes. The way the DMV sees it in terms of school, is if you enroll as a CA resident. Most out-of-state students would become a CA resident to save on tuition.

The state encourages people to rat out people/neighbors who have out of state plates. As if this is the main crime against the state and its people. Hopefully none of you experience this.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

be careful with the hook ups, the smog **** are setting up check points like wild fire here in LA.

Quick Reply: TSP true duals and ca smog