Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head and cam question

Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation head and cam question

i bought i WS6 a couple of months ago cammed already i was told nothing about what was done to the engine. it was losing oil pressure so i finally decided to tear into it since i don't drive it as much. My lifters are wore to poop and so is the cam. I found it was running a MS4 cam and it appears to be stock 853 heads and the pistons have been fly cut to run the cam. Springs, pusrods, and bearings looked good but i am going to replace the bearings just in case. so my question is seeing as i have to buy a new cam and lifters, i would like to hear what would be a good cam combo if i keep the heads seeing as its set to run something like the MS4, or what head and cam combo would be good to go with for mid to high range power. Kind of a budget, but if i have too ill spend the extra money.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have two sets of heads that I think would be ideal for this. I would first recommend our PRC 227 aftermarket castings. They are the nicest heads we can offer for that setup and I think they would do exactly what you are wanting.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1163-pr...der-heads.aspx

If you want something a little more budget oriented but still an aftermarket casting take a look at the PRC as cast heads. I put them on my car and picked up 30 over the stock 243's. I would expect them to do pretty well with the MS4 as long as the all the bolt ons are there.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3515-pr...ast-heads.aspx
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Also another question it was tuned but i dont think tuned to its potential. How much do yall charge for a dyno tune?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While in there, go ahead and buy/ install ls2 lifter trays.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can do a mail order tune from TSP or from Frost.how many miles on your motor ?you mite have to resize the connecting rods if you remove the rods.have the valve springs tested to make sure they can handle the cam you install.maybe get a new oil pump also with a ls2 timing chain.check out some TSP or vengeance racing head/cam combos.look into some comp cam trunnion bearings .
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
you can do a mail order tune from TSP or from Frost.how many miles on your motor ?you mite have to resize the connecting rods if you remove the rods.have the valve springs tested to make sure they can handle the cam you install.maybe get a new oil pump also with a ls2 timing chain.check out some TSP or vengeance racing head/cam combos.look into some comp cam trunnion bearings .
i was thinking the same but im 30 minutes from tsp. would like to see the numbers to with whatever combo. and the valve springs are double. and it handled the ms4 pretty well so im sure itll handle something smaller or equal. i have a ls6 oil pump from tsp. but ill probably got with the ls2 timing chain to be safe instead of keep the same chain thats on there. and i was told it was rebuilt but the odometer reads 100,216
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont mean to tread jack but are the ls2 lifter a exact replacement
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Yes the ls2 lifter trays drop right in...I just unbolted my old ls1 trays and bolted the ls2 trays right in place.

If you are that close to TSP please take the time to let them check your valve spring pressure....they might have been good and upto the job a year or two ago, but they wear and should be checked every year or so or 10,000 miles.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jared879
Also another question it was tuned but i dont think tuned to its potential. How much do yall charge for a dyno tune?
We charge 450 for N/A dyno tunes. Our dyno room is currently in pieces though, we probably need another few weeks before its back together and running.

Search this Thread