LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1997 Z28 No start

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Z28 No start

Hi, first off I would like to introduce myself, my name is Derek and I am new to the pony car world. Just got rid of my Chevy 4x4 and picked up a z28.

Long story short, Im new to the manual transmission, I stalled it out(noob) the other day and I couldnt start it back up, had to push start it to get it home.

When I turn the key the engine doesnt turn over at all, all there is, is one single click per each turn of the key. Things I've checked already are the voltage at the battery (reads 12.75 V), had the starter checked, it cranked but the guy at AutoZone said it sounded weak, so I replaced it. Voltage while running reads a little over thirteen, so to my understanding the alternator is charging the battery. Fuses for the starter are not blown, cables are connected properly etc. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

*Disclaimer, I was hesitant to start this thread because there was a very similar one about a 96 WS6 having the same issue but that starter didnt click at all. Mods feel free to move this topic or delete it.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neutral Safety Switch and Ignition Switch are the only things I can come up with. That is assuming that it has the proper cranking amps on the battery side and the starter is functioning correctly.

I don't think it has anything to do with VATS. I would imagine that you wouldn't have been able to drive it home if that were the case, regardless of push-starting it. I'll still ask, though. Is your Security light flashing or on?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't be neutral safety switch if the starter clicks. That means the starter gets power. Ignition switch being bad would also mean the car cutting out while running, fuel pump not getting power. We know power is getting to the starter solenoid b/c it clicks when he turns the key. It's entirely possible you got a dead starter from Autozone. I suggest taking it back and getting the starter from a 96 Corvette Grand Sport. Cheaper, uses less power, and higher torque. It'll bolt right in. Ask me how I know.

To test the starter on the car, turn the key to on, make sure the car is in neutral, then take a screwdriver and jump the poles on the back.

Also, welcome to LS1Tech, Derek. Enjoy the asinine members lol.

Last edited by DisasterFormula; 07-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 1997 Z28 No start