Paint & Body Work - New paint job

View Full Version : New paint job

Decadence75
07-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I plan on getting the car painted in the next couple years since when I bought it there were some scratches down to the metal. Would it be better for me to do a frame off paint job or can most places today get into the nooks and cranies well?

rck2004
07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
not sure what you mean by FRAME OFF but you should def take the rear spoiler off. would be good ideal to remove front bumper cover as well its a lot easier to paint off the car.

Decadence75
07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
not sure what you mean by FRAME OFF but you should def take the rear spoiler off. would be good ideal to remove front bumper cover as well its a lot easier to paint off the car.

A frame off paint job would be me pulling the entire drivetrain and interior before it gets painted so it is essentially a shell.

rck2004
07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Damn, you are talking about alot of work! sounds like a frame off restoration. I dont think it is necessary unless that is what you are trying to do.

Decadence75
07-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Damn, you are talking about alot of work! sounds like a frame off restoration. I dont think it is necessary unless that is what you are trying to do.

Exactly. It IS alot of work. Which is why I am asking opinions before I commit. I generally just want the car to look nice with a clean engine bay and the insides of the doors to look clean as well. It was much easier to do a frame off when I was running classic cars, haha.

xBrandonx
07-19-2012, 07:37 PM
If you have the time, tools and the money, I'd say go for it, upgrade that hood while your doing it though ;)

Decadence75
07-19-2012, 08:57 PM
If you have the time, tools and the money, I'd say go for it, upgrade that hood while your doing it though ;)

I plan on getting a suncoast creations raptor with extractors seen here http://suncoastcreations.com/a-p-f-3/pontiac-ta-raptor-style-ramair-hood-28003.html

Before paint.

Decadence75
07-19-2012, 08:59 PM
I am asking budget wise. I know the BEST way is frame off. But for someone that is budget minded... which is the best band for buck

xBrandonx
07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
I plan on getting a suncoast creations raptor with extractors seen here http://suncoastcreations.com/a-p-f-3/pontiac-ta-raptor-style-ramair-hood-28003.html

Before paint.

Not saying that's a bad hood but you can get one like it for 500 dollars less here

WS6 Hood - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-98-02-Firebird-Trans-AM-WS6-bolton-hood-229-/251110894266?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a77602aba

Superhawk Hood - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-98-02-Firebird-Trans-AM-SUPERHAWK-hood-/350582037256?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a0515b08

Decadence75
07-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Not saying that's a bad hood but you can get one like it for 500 dollars less here

WS6 Hood - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-98-02-Firebird-Trans-AM-WS6-bolton-hood-229-/251110894266?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a77602aba

Superhawk Hood - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-98-02-Firebird-Trans-AM-SUPERHAWK-hood-/350582037256?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a0515b08

While I can get one "like" it for $500 less those are not functional as it stands and ebay hoods always fit for crap. No offense to you but I would rather pony up a few extra for a nicely done hood with what I want and not some slammed out mass market hood.

02 NHRA
07-24-2012, 03:06 AM
I might have missed it, but you never stated if you are going the original factory color or something different. If it were me, doing the same color, I'd leave the interior and engine...but then again, depends on if you wanted a perfect car with an undercarriage you can eat off of.

Decadence75
07-24-2012, 06:41 AM
I might have missed it, but you never stated if you are going the original factory color or something different. If it were me, doing the same color, I'd leave the interior and engine...but then again, depends on if you wanted a perfect car with an undercarriage you can eat off of.

I plan on staying the factory bright red. I am only 1 of 2 that I have ever seen in the area this color and I like the difference. I have some spots in the bay that are worn bare ect, which is why I asked. Can you just mark off places to be painted and have stuff touched up or are you looking at an all or nothing job?

WS6ICK2k
07-24-2012, 08:01 AM
No need to go all crazy with frame off, I have seen many perfect paint jobs with minor panel removal. Basically spoiler, ground effects, taillights, fog lights etc. Just take your time with the masking tape to prevent overspray.

jrob56
07-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Seems like you answered your own question, you cant be on a budget and do a restoration, you know which is the best "band for your buck". I dont think I would be counting pennies when it comes to a paint job though. A buddy went cheap route and the clear pealed off the whole front half of his car 2 years later.

I dont like the term frame off when its a unibody car. Only reason for doing a resto is if the car is in that bad of shape, which I doubt or you are going to another color which you arent. Just go to a good shop and get it painted.

Decadence75
07-24-2012, 08:47 AM
No need to go all crazy with frame off, I have seen many perfect paint jobs with minor panel removal. Basically spoiler, ground effects, taillights, fog lights etc. Just take your time with the masking tape to prevent overspray.

I have several spots in the engine bay that need repainted, is that do able with an entire car?

Decadence75
07-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Seems like you answered your own question, you cant be on a budget and do a restoration, you know which is the best "band for your buck". I dont think I would be counting pennies when it comes to a paint job though. A buddy went cheap route and the clear pealed off the whole front half of his car 2 years later.

I dont like the term frame off when its a unibody car. Only reason for doing a resto is if the car is in that bad of shape, which I doubt or you are going to another color which you arent. Just go to a good shop and get it painted.

I will not be looking for a picture perfect restoration when I have it painted. It won't be show quality since this is not a showable car unfortunately. What I want to fix however are all the blemishes that are present when I bought the car. Many are to the metal/fiberglass.

I am sorry if frame off is not accurate for these cars. The last time I needed a full body paint was a 69 Charger and it was definately off it's frame.

So, even if there are scratches down to the metal you say any good body shop can fix and make smooth again?

jrob56
07-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I have several spots in the engine bay that need repainted, is that do able with an entire car?

Yes but kinda depends on where? you can dissasemble everything forward of radiator support and put get everything off the shock towers and everything you can see would be painted.

sheikss
07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
If you got the tools and time to disassemble the car, do it. Have them paint it only and you do the reassembly. On my 97 I removed the drivetrain and interior. The painter removed the doors, locks, bumpers, fenders, side morrors, door handles, back glass from deck, etc. Next time I will tear more of it apart and do more of the reassembly to save me more money. My 97 is more of a "perfect weather only" car that I wanted a drop dead gorgeous paint job on and I got it. It wasn't cheap though and I did need alittle body work which factored into the price.

Jr.Samples
07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
:bang: I can not believe I read this whole thread.

I would take the OP's car to a good body shop have have it painted. Done.

Jadedbird
07-24-2012, 02:38 PM

I would take the OP's car to a good body shop have have it painted. Done.

:corn: this

xBrandonx
07-24-2012, 04:44 PM
While I can get one "like" it for $500 less those are not functional as it stands and ebay hoods always fit for crap. No offense to you but I would rather pony up a few extra for a nicely done hood with what I want and not some slammed out mass market hood.

ram air vents are closed but can be opened for an additional 30.00 to make hood fully functional,

All hoods attach exactly as a factory hood, using OEM hardware.

I have a buddy that got into an accident in his 98 Firebird and when his insurance was fixing it, he got that Superhawk hood and it fits just as good as OEM. Just sayin.

Decadence75
07-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Then don't. Seems fairly simple to me. Unless you actually have something constructive to add?

Decadence75
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I have a buddy that got into an accident in his 98 Firebird and when his insurance was fixing it, he got that Superhawk hood and it fits just as good as OEM. Just sayin.

That is awesome that it fit right out of the box. But those linked hooded will need to be ported ect. I would rather just get one that is done and ready to be bolted on.

fbdy4life
07-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Just take it to a reputable body shop. Explain what you want done and they can do it. Spoiler, mirrors, front and read bumper covers, and belt moldings on the doors will be the things that need to be removed unless of course you want the jams painted as well. Then you will have to have the doors taken off. Lots of stuff under the hood can be painted without removing anything since it will just be paint and not cleared.

xBrandonx
07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Just take it to a reputable body shop. Explain what you want done and they can do it. Spoiler, mirrors, front and read bumper covers, and belt moldings on the doors will be the things that need to be removed unless of course you want the jams painted as well. Then you will have to have the doors taken off. Lots of stuff under the hood can be painted without removing anything since it will just be paint and not cleared.

That will also cost you a fortune. My Dad got his 1970 Chevelle SS professionally painted, it took all Winter and most of the Spring to get it done, they painted EVERYTHING that was white, silver. They charged him 8 grand... it definitive looks great though, here's some pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/tlnxX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GmMki.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/icsgu.jpg

Car after it was painted, anyone selling stock SS rims lol, let me know, he's been looking for a nice set.
http://i.imgur.com/khBf2.jpg

Decadence75
07-24-2012, 08:43 PM
That will also cost you a fortune. My Dad got his 1970 Chevelle SS professionally painted, it took all Winter and most of the Spring to get it done, they painted EVERYTHING that was white, silver. They charged him 8 grand... it definitive looks great though, here's some pictures.

Car after it was painted, anyone selling stock SS rims lol, let me know, he's been looking for a nice set.
http://i.imgur.com/khBf2.jpg

That is a very nice chevelle. I mean VERY nice.

fbdy4life
07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
8 grand for the chevelle is understandable since im sure alot of the moldings were replaced, plus all the body work i can see that had been done is very costly as well. However i assume that what he is describing shouldnt cost him but around $3500. Could be nore or less, thats just ballpark. I did the same to my car which had 190kand on it and a few previous owners. From what i noticed, it had never been in a wreck or painted over. The car looked like crap. And with all the body work and paint i spent about $500. But i also work in a paint shop so i have an idea of what to do exactly.

WingsFan79
07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I don't think it is necessary to take the car apart to repaint it the same color or any color in that matter unless you have the coin and time to do it.
When I painted my Firebird burnt orange I just took off the all the ground effects and some of the major body parts and it came out great.
I did have a friend paint it who had a lot of experience so that helped out a bit.
I would just take it to someone you trust and tell them what you want done and they will take care of you.

bad_408_vert
08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
if you have time/skills/tools.
Its not hard to take the complete drivetrain out.

You can take the entire interior out in 3-4 hours with basic hand tools.

At the same time, keep in mind that body shops that do quality paint jobs, also are good at achieving a show car finish to semi disassembelled(spelling?) car.

Decadence75
08-11-2012, 09:15 AM
I don't think it is necessary to take the car apart to repaint it the same color or any color in that matter unless you have the coin and time to do it.
When I painted my Firebird burnt orange I just took off the all the ground effects and some of the major body parts and it came out great.
I did have a friend paint it who had a lot of experience so that helped out a bit.
I would just take it to someone you trust and tell them what you want done and they will take care of you.

What major body parts did you take off? My side skirts are warps which is one of the things I wanted to work with the shop about. I think the person before me used the pinch weld line to jack the car up on multiple occasions. That was one of the things I wanted to speak with a body shop person about. Thing is, I've never used a body or paint shop here so I really don't know who to trust.

if you have time/skills/tools.
Its not hard to take the complete drivetrain out.

You can take the entire interior out in 3-4 hours with basic hand tools.

At the same time, keep in mind that body shops that do quality paint jobs, also are good at achieving a show car finish to semi disassembelled(spelling?) car.

I can disassemble the car if need be but I only want to do it if necessary. I really doubt my car would win any awards so I am not really going for professional show quality. But I would like to be able to pop the hood at a meet/Gathering/Stars and be proud of the coloring that was in there.