Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally, got the perfect tint of VHT on my Taillights!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally, got the perfect tint of VHT on my Taillights!

I had them pretty damn dark before, and it only took me a week until I didn't really like them anymore. I was thinking of bringing them back to stock, but I wasn't crazy about that either.

After spraying/wetsanding them a bunch of times, I think I finally got them where I like it.

This was before, didn't like how they looked up against the berger:

Now:

I also now realize how awful these plates look on my car
Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good man...

not to rain on the parade, but if you go dark with them, let them get close to dry, then rub gasoline on them, you can get the same thing, without the astronomical amount of sanding

looks great regardless
Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like. And I'm envious of your properly sanded lights and matching amber in the turn signals. I messed mine up in sanding and one of my lights has amber and the other is almost a pee yellow. Yuck.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by __Z__
looks good man...

not to rain on the parade, but if you go dark with them, let them get close to dry, then rub gasoline on them, you can get the same thing, without the astronomical amount of sanding

looks great regardless
I actually was doing that with lacquer thinner. I went too far once, so I stuck with wet sanding. Thanks man!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I like. And I'm envious of your properly sanded lights and matching amber in the turn signals. I messed mine up in sanding and one of my lights has amber and the other is almost a pee yellow. Yuck.
Thanks brotha. LOL I did the same thing with one of the reverse lights. I thought, "Hm, maybe this needs to be a little lighter." Next thing I knew I sanded the whole coating off, looked stupid, and did it again.

Once you get to sanding individual sections, it's a bitch.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Heh I wish mine was just a sanding problem for the pee yellow. But no the lens itself itself is that way. One reason I tinted the tails was to help hide it
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

almost every time I see VHT tail lights they look Flat .. or matte .. how did you get such a gloss shine ?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Heh I wish mine was just a sanding problem for the pee yellow. But no the lens itself itself is that way. One reason I tinted the tails was to help hide it
Oh, then grab that VHT can, and hit the yellow turn signal section with a few passes. It'll dull it down to an amber color. Just wetsand that down and polish them back up, you won't be able to tell the spray difference.

Originally Posted by Cheezebandit
almost every time I see VHT tail lights they look Flat .. or matte .. how did you get such a gloss shine ?
After spraying and letting them dry, (the can recommends an hour, but you can wetsand in about 10 minutes lol) wetsand with 2000 grit to level the paint, and I polished them with Meguiars 105 and Menzerna SIP on a Mothers Powerball. I didn't even use my buffer
Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

they look good man.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good but next time take the time to sand off the part numbers. Little details like that bring a car to the next level.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
After spraying and letting them dry, (the can recommends an hour, but you can wetsand in about 10 minutes lol) wetsand with 2000 grit to level the paint, and I polished them with Meguiars 105 and Menzerna SIP on a Mothers Powerball. I didn't even use my buffer

Didnt even lay clear? I always shoot 3 coats of vht, and 3 coats of clear to keep them shinny long time lol.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

On my truck I did mine then cleared them. I was really pissed when a friend did the exact same tailights on his g/f truck and he just sprayed them with good coats of VHT.

His came out shinier and look perfect. Mine I will have to sand some because the stupid clear coat everyone on here recommends actually made them a little dull.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
On my truck I did mine then cleared them. I was really pissed when a friend did the exact same tailights on his g/f truck and he just sprayed them with good coats of VHT.

His came out shinier and look perfect. Mine I will have to sand some because the stupid clear coat everyone on here recommends actually made them a little dull.

Very odd, I just used Valspar and they turned out great, ill try to get a pic later today. I just heard they fade/dull faster without clear, thats why I laid some on.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys! No I didn't lay any clear on them, I love how they came out. If they dull up quickly, or are not very durable to standard use, then I'll put some clear on them.

Thunder, what kind of clear did you use? Did you wetsand and polish the clear up after you sprayed? For small jobs I use aerosol clear from "Automotivetouchup" (google) it's one of my favorites. I've never even bothered with duplicolor clear or anything like that. Rustoleum's wheel clear coat is very good as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Did my front sig today, here is the shine on them

1) Remove letters/sand with 320 grit.
2) Spray 3 layers of vht. approx 5 min apart.
3) Wait about 5-7 min, the proceed to spray 3 coats of clear (I use valspar clear) 5 min apart (spray last coat heavy).
4) Let dry a hour or two, then wet sand with 2000 grit.
5) Polish with wax
Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Looks good Z! I've never heard of that clear.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Looks good Z! I've never heard of that clear.
Really? Farm and Fleet carries it around here, Im not sure what other stores do lol. It works really well, as the spray comes out in a nice haze due to the tip, which helps make sure you dont get any runs.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

^ i believe you can find those in Home Depot & Lowe's. I bought a black can before just cant remember from which of those 2 stores.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 AM
TECH Junkie

This thread has me wanting to go back to VHT tail lights and before, I hated them I guess due to my run in with the police which resulted in a ticket because I didn't know how to shut up to this ***** cop.

Looks real good OP. Really has me considering re-doing mine here in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
This thread has me wanting to go back to VHT tail lights and before, I hated them I guess due to my run in with the police which resulted in a ticket because I didn't know how to shut up to this ***** cop.

Looks real good OP. Really has me considering re-doing mine here in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks man! Blacked out just looked too weird, the "cool" factor wore off in a week. Stock they stand out too much, I think it's finally perfect now.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since when do you have a camaro!? lol you go through f bodies like underwear.

The tint looks PERFECT tho. Not a fan of the blacked out look. Im planning on respraying my sidemarkers/third brake light and sanding the numbers off too.

Quick Reply: Finally, got the perfect tint of VHT on my Taillights!