LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Cooling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Cooling Issue

Alright so it started this morning my low coolant light came on while driving. Temp levels were fine till I was idle at a stop light and it went straight into the red all the way to 260. It dropped really fast tho after I drove away from the light cause I was gonna park it. Later we took it for a test drive and it sat steady at 160 while we drove it but the minute I parked it jumped to 230 and the fans didn't even come on. Idk where to start. Is this a sign I need to replace a thermostat possibly? I thought I had a leak but we pressurized the system and nothing happened so low coolant is a crock.

07/21/2012 Update: Alright so for the 3rd day in a row the coolant light went on and I added coolant. We did a pressure test while cold to search for leaks but it held pressure so idk if the water pump is leaking while its running or what. On top of that when I park the temp gets to 230 now and the SES light comes on and fans kick in full speed. Any idea what it could be? Anyone know where I can get it scanned I believe its obd1 with the obd2 connector cause its a 95. How much does a scan cost?

Last edited by iTh3 Riddler; 07-21-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fix fan issue
Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

fans should be on when under 30 for the ls1s ive heard , deffy sitting they should be on , check fuses but its a fan issue , esp if when you drive it cools fine .
Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Alright. I know when I popped of the intake elbow and **** yesterday to look down for any leaks those fans kicked right on but not when I put the intake back on. Is there some kind of sensor that could be faulty?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you disconnect the MAF, the CEL will come on and the PCM will kick on the fans b/c of the DTC it throws.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Alright so for the 3rd day in a row the coolant light went on and I added coolant. We did a pressure test while cold to search for leaks but it held pressure so idk if the water pump is leaking while its running or what. On top of that when I park the temp gets to 230 now and the SES light comes on and fans kick in full speed. Any idea what it could be? Anyone know where I can get it scanned I believe its obd1 with the obd2 connector cause its a 95. How much does a scan cost?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you sure its missing coolant? The low coolant lights are know for going bad and being stuck on, mine included. I've gotten used to just ignoring it now. lol
Old 07-21-2012, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Are you sure its missing coolant? The low coolant lights are know for going bad and being stuck on, mine included. I've gotten used to just ignoring it now. lol
Must be a bottomless coolant tank then....
Old 07-21-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iTh3 Riddler
Must be a bottomless coolant tank then....
Check plugs for steam cleaning, check everywhere for leaks. Its gotta be going somewhere lol Either inside or outside the engine, not many other choices.

~Edit~ and best bet on how to get it scanned would be to order an aldl cable and borrow a laptop and download some free scanning software.

Another thing I should ask is HOW much coolant have you added over the past few days.

Last edited by ZFreie; 07-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Check plugs for steam cleaning, check everywhere for leaks. Its gotta be going somewhere lol Either inside or outside the engine, not many other choices.

~Edit~ and best bet on how to get it scanned would be to order an aldl cable and borrow a laptop and download some free scanning software.

Another thing I should ask is HOW much coolant have you added over the past few days.

Guessing this is the one you speak of

http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd2u
Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iTh3 Riddler
Guessing this is the one you speak of

http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd2u
Looks to be the correct one, thats what I used along with tunercats to tune my car. Think I used datamaster? which gives you like 20 free reads, or something along that line.

Makes figuring out whats wrong way easier, and one of the few ways to scan em.

If you were closer I'd let you use mine lol
Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Looks to be the correct one, thats what I used along with tunercats to tune my car. Think I used datamaster? which gives you like 20 free reads, or something along that line.

Makes figuring out whats wrong way easier, and one of the few ways to scan em.

If you were closer I'd let you use mine lol

Alright I ordered it. Guess we will see what I find when I receive it.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Drive it around, get it it warmed up and park it, check for leaks. If not leaks any where and you are 100% sure then I'd replace thermostat and check your coolant sensor. They are known to be faulty.

Quick Reply: LT1 Cooling Issue