LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Electric Cutouts

Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Electric Cutouts

I know everyone has their own opinion on "The Best Cutout" but I want to know not only which brand, but the main question is How long have you had this brand. I am in the market for one and I know there are a couple of more companies that make them such as Dougs, Ebay stuff ect...
Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is like asking what lid works best on the ls1.
If the cut out is welded properly and can open and close they're all the same. I assume you're looking for electric ? My dhm or dmh ? Cut outs worked fine 5 year warranty. I got them because i found a good deal.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife bought me a cheapo Summit three years ago for Christmas, still works.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

buy a DMH valve, and a QTP cutout
Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

These are the ones i bought and put them in like the pic..

http://www.mtiracing.com/Purchase/20...e-Cutouts.html
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Oval DMH stuff is nice.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

I have been running my QTP's now for about 7 years but my car is not a daily driver either.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Heres my story about QTP.

I bought a QTP electric cutout one summer and they said 2 weeks until it would get delivered. 6 weeks later it came to my house and I had already left for school. When I got home at christmas I installed it. By then the 4 month warranty had run out. It wasnt on my car for more than 20 minutes before it crapped out half opened. I called QTP and politely told them what happened. The guy was from tech support and sounded like a teenager. Here is our converstation:

QTP: QTP tech support, how can I help you?
me: Hi I purchased a cutout and it was supposed to be delivered in 2 weeks but it didnt get here for 6 weeks, which made it so I could not install it until my next break from school, so I know it has been more than 4 months but it was only on the car for 20 minutes before it broke.
QTP: what kind of vehicle was it on?
me: Camaro Z28
QTP: were you doing any offroading?
me: What??? No its a camaro, I didnt do any offroading with it.
QTP: Oh its a camaro? I have an Evo! We should meet up and race! Where do you live?
me: Im in Connecticut, I dont want to ******* race I just want you to replace my cutout that broke after 20 minutes on the car
QTP: Hey Im in Jersey, I can drive up there and we can meet up, my car has a turbo back exhaust, blah blah blah..."
me: Put me on with your supervisor
QTP: I am the supervisor, I am head of tech support
me: This must be a prank
me: *click* hang up
me: dial, ring ring
QTP: QTP tech support how can I help you
me: Hi my cutout broke 20 minutes after being on my car and...
QTP: Oh hey man! Sorry we must have gotten disconnected, should I drive up to CT or would you rather drive down to Jersey to meet up or we can meet in NY?
me: $*$&%&$&*&#$PI(@$*(*$#(@&(*&#$(*&#$ IM MAILING YOU THIS ******* CUTOUT AND YOU BETTER ******* REPLACE IT
QTP: okay.

2 weeks later I got a new cutout in the mail.

Worked fine for the next 3 years, but the LED light on the switch crapped out that same year.

There is no stop switch on the QTPs either, you just have to count off 6 Mississippi each time you open and close it. The electric motor is positioned wrong for our cars because it points up at an angle which either hits the floor or causes you to have to angle the cutout down so it can possibly drag. DMH is a much better design, more compact motor, no questions asked 4 year warranty, button is nicer, it moves faster, and has a stop switch so you cant burn up the motor.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

^that conversation is priceless.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Heres my story about QTP.

I bought a QTP electric cutout one summer and they said 2 weeks until it would get delivered. 6 weeks later it came to my house and I had already left for school. When I got home at christmas I installed it. By then the 4 month warranty had run out. It wasnt on my car for more than 20 minutes before it crapped out half opened. I called QTP and politely told them what happened. The guy was from tech support and sounded like a teenager. Here is our converstation:

QTP: QTP tech support, how can I help you?
me: Hi I purchased a cutout and it was supposed to be delivered in 2 weeks but it didnt get here for 6 weeks, which made it so I could not install it until my next break from school, so I know it has been more than 4 months but it was only on the car for 20 minutes before it broke.
QTP: what kind of vehicle was it on?
me: Camaro Z28
QTP: were you doing any offroading?
me: What??? No its a camaro, I didnt do any offroading with it.
QTP: Oh its a camaro? I have an Evo! We should meet up and race! Where do you live?
me: Im in Connecticut, I dont want to ******* race I just want you to replace my cutout that broke after 20 minutes on the car
QTP: Hey Im in Jersey, I can drive up there and we can meet up, my car has a turbo back exhaust, blah blah blah..."
me: Put me on with your supervisor
QTP: I am the supervisor, I am head of tech support
me: This must be a prank
me: *click* hang up
me: dial, ring ring
QTP: QTP tech support how can I help you
me: Hi my cutout broke 20 minutes after being on my car and...
QTP: Oh hey man! Sorry we must have gotten disconnected, should I drive up to CT or would you rather drive down to Jersey to meet up or we can meet in NY?
me: $*$&%&$&*&#$PI(@$*(*$#(@&(*&#$(*&#$ IM MAILING YOU THIS ******* CUTOUT AND YOU BETTER ******* REPLACE IT
QTP: okay.

2 weeks later I got a new cutout in the mail.

Worked fine for the next 3 years, but the LED light on the switch crapped out that same year.

There is no stop switch on the QTPs either, you just have to count off 6 Mississippi each time you open and close it. The electric motor is positioned wrong for our cars because it points up at an angle which either hits the floor or causes you to have to angle the cutout down so it can possibly drag. DMH is a much better design, more compact motor, no questions asked 4 year warranty, button is nicer, it moves faster, and has a stop switch so you cant burn up the motor.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of experiences I'm looking for. The reason I ask about the longevity is because I have tuned many customers cars with the QTP's and I'd say 5 out of 6 had them on the car for a little over a year and they crapped out. One of the reasons is stated above about the butterflies do not stop opening or closing and burning the motors out, In fact this is what was told to one customer, that he over hung the blade causing the electric motor damage...Thanks Guys...
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

My Summit brand one you control the opening and closing, you can open it a little, all the way, or anywhere in between. It's a momentary rocker switch, I just assume they were all like this.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

A GOOD design would be one that uses normally closed end switches on both sides. When it maxes out one way it opens that ways' circuit now allowing it to move anymore in that direction, but the other side is still closed so you can drive it the other way. When it is at any position other than maxed out open or closed, you can drive it either way. I thought DMH was like this but I could be wrong. If I ever go back to an exhaust using cutouts, if no manufacturer already makes a cutout like this I will wire in end switches myself.

PS. DMH or QTP or anyone else who is reading this, if you invent a product off of my idea you owe me 10% of all sales.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had my Race Ready cutout for 3 years, seals good, opens fairly fast and still works like new
Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

what is the performance benefits of cutouts?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jancorvette
what is the performance benefits of cutouts?
Opens the exhaust up. Less restriction = more power. Somewhat like running straight pipes.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Thats what i thought. So have cutouts have more performance than a catback exhaust? I saw i youtube video and it had no gains with the cutouts.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Jancorvette
Thats what i thought. So have cutouts have more performance than a catback exhaust? I saw i youtube video and it had no gains with the cutouts.
Depends on the application. If you have an engine with a high CFM demand an average full exhaust system may restrict to the point of significant power loss compared to using a cutout on a stock/bolt-on engine.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
My Summit brand one you control the opening and closing, you can open it a little, all the way, or anywhere in between. It's a momentary rocker switch, I just assume they were all like this.
+1 I have the summit racing as well and its great.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

I have a DMH, but I never put it on. So I can't say how it works but It looks good tho

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Cutouts