Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

E92 M3 vs LS3 SS vs SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E92 M3 vs LS3 SS vs SRT8

Headed back from watching my boy get a dyno tune on his LS3 10' SS we run across a matte red E92 M3 with an aftermarket exhaust and Im assuming it was a DCT because he was using the paddle shifters. I was in my 6.1 SRT8 (intake, tune, catback) and the SS was following (LS3, Intake, Catback, LT's, Dyno Tune) the M3 revved at us and took off and slowed down but it was traffic ahead so he had to hit the brakes so I pull up on him drop it in first and hammer it for a second to let him know hes not in for an easy kill. He rolls down the window and says wanna go and points at the on ramp to the highway so we let him get over and follow. We line up 3 wide with the m3 in the middle he says on 3 from a 40 roll. He honks it off, we were all dead even for maybe 2 seconds when myself and the SS started to pull on him we went all the way up to about 130 where I held a solid car on him and I had maybe fender on my friends SS we were basically glued together. The M3 wanted another roll but this time from a 70. Not that good for me or the SS so the M3 gets a half a car jump this time but by 110 or so we both start reeling him in. We stopped again around 130 where I had half a car on him and the SS was at his door but reeling him in when we shut down. Me and the SS both had 1 passenger both girls but get this. The whole time there was a white 335i following us trying to keep up and come to find out it was the M3 guys girlfriend and another girl. Felt bad we had to do him like that......not lol

Cliff Notes:
DCT Exhaust E92 M3 gets beat by Tune, intake, catback 6.1 SRT8 and Bolt on, Tuned LS3 SS from a 40 roll and a 70 roll.

My thoughts on the E92:
I think alot of people give these cars to much credit in a straight line and honestly they are NOT as fast as people make them out to be. Most say they are 12.3-12.4 cars but realistically they are more like 12.7-12.8 cars in stock form. This is my 5th race with a E92 M3 and it was pretty much the same outcome every time. I did beat a E90 M3 4 door by about 2 cars so I assume they are a little slower. Even the guys on the SRT8 forums say stay away from the E92 M3's but I have had different results. I have driven the E92 M3 when I was considering one it has no low end power what so ever but alot of top end.

looked just like this

good thing it wasn't a mach 1 or we would have been toast

Last edited by NiteRiderWS6; 07-20-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

nice work. A mach 1 would have decimated all. Or if you had really bad luck, you will run into a 300whp civic.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8EATR
nice work. A mach 1 would have decimated all. Or if you had really bad luck, you will run into a 300whp civic.
if I even see a 300whp civic i pull over and turn my car off until he passes
Old 07-20-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
if I even see a 300whp civic i pull over and turn my car off until he passes
I drove past a civic with an front mount earlier, I quickly hid my car in the nearest ditch, I was scared I wouldn't make it home...
Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZFreie
I drove past a civic with an front mount earlier, I quickly hid my car in the nearest ditch, I was scared I wouldn't make it home...
LMAO they have that effect on us
Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drove past a Civic today in my truck on the way to work

Thankfully I'm in a truck, so I could have just drove over the little Jap
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I drove past a Civic today in my truck on the way to work

Thankfully I'm in a truck, so I could have just drove over the little Jap
Probably was just a 299whp civic. If it was a 300whp one, you would have exploded.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea its against the laws of physics to damage one with 300 or more whp. And good call on everyone being safe and pulling over.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Teching In

lol
Good Kill OP
Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Kill NiteRiderWS6, hopefully ill get a run with one soon. I live close to burbank and glendale area persian/armenians love that car and as populated area this is with bmw's its only a matter of time, lol.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

We should all pitch in and buy a 300whp civic and a bolt on mach1 to represent ls1tech in forum wars.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V8EATR
Yea its against the laws of physics to damage one with 300 or more whp. And good call on everyone being safe and pulling over.
Only a 300whp civic can damage a 300whp civic. Most of the time, it happens at the launch, and requires the zamboni afterwards.

Good kill OP. I think the only reason it might be overrated, is because the M fanboys swear they can beat Lamborghinis and everything stock, and because too many people believe 'em.

The numbers of the M3 are spot on, and its not overrated in my opinion, although you can do better most of the time in a bolt on 335xi, both at a dig, and at a roll.

Good kills. Whats mod listing for the SRT8 and SS?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

at least you didn't have an old guy in a black on black trans am come through your area asking everyone he saw if they knew where to find the silver trans am thats around. ******* weird right?

OLD *** MEN BE GAY LOOKIN FO ME
Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Only a 300whp civic can damage a 300whp civic. Most of the time, it happens at the launch, and requires the zamboni afterwards.

Good kill OP. I think the only reason it might be overrated, is because the M fanboys swear they can beat Lamborghinis and everything stock, and because too many people believe 'em.

The numbers of the M3 are spot on, and its not overrated in my opinion, although you can do better most of the time in a bolt on 335xi, both at a dig, and at a roll.

335xi= Lots of Fun. That thing has impressive torque and the way it delivers it is very smooth. Excellent car.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Good Kill! I've yet to run one but I've been wanting to for a while in my bolt on WS6
Old 07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by karpetcm
Good Kill NiteRiderWS6, hopefully ill get a run with one soon. I live close to burbank and glendale area persian/armenians love that car and as populated area this is with bmw's its only a matter of time, lol.
My girl is persian and my boy with the SS is armenian this happened in glendale haha you are right on the money you shouldn't have a problem with a E92 with your mods especially since you have a custom tune im still on the 91 Canned Tune
Old 07-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by odthetruth

SRT8: CAI, Predator 91 Tune, Corsa Xtreme Catback
SS: CAI, LT's, Catback, Dyno Tune
Old 07-20-2012, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Sweeeeeettttt.....
Old 07-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Here's the deal from an unbiased M3 owner. The E92 series M3 with the 6mt is capable of 12.7 and 12.8's. The DCT or dual clutch trans is much quicker and capable of running consistent 12.4's and 12.5's. Trap speed may be higher as well.

The op is absoloutely correct in saying that the 4.0 l S65B40 (M3 engine) has zero low end. My car with bolt ons puts out more torque than a stock E92 M3. Sadly when you have a high compression low displacement V8 it is completely understandable. However, up top is where the car really shines as the op stated. So if you have a bolt on SS or bolt on SRT-8 and going from a 40 roll. You will pull. At 40 mph I am pretty sure you said you kicked it down to first. So you're putting out nearly twice the amount of torque so I would expect you to get the jump. Same goes for the SS. A 70 roll is much more in favor of the
M3's gearing. 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gears are nightmares when compared to other cars. I know for sure my car going from a 40 roll is much quicker in 3rd, 4th and 5th, and when going from a 60 roll, my 4th and 5th gear are my hardcore pull gears. So anytime when going from a 40 roll, I am typically able to pull a good car back if I am able to stop a cars pull once I hit 3rd gear if that makes sense. What really helps the M3's is not just our gearing but its' the high redline. I shift at much more awkward times than any other car out there. Once I get my headers, exhaust, and tune I can hold 3rd til 110, 4th til 148, and 5th will carry me until 175 mph and 6th I should be able to clear 180 mph before I need more power to go any faster. And the car doesn't really stop a strong pull until 160 mph. After that it takes its time til 170 mph in 5th gear with my current mods.

But good kill op. I look forward to running a stock SRT-8 charger. Should be a good run for me from a roll.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tracked350Z
Here's the deal from an unbiased M3 owner. The E92 series M3 with the 6mt is capable of 12.7 and 12.8's. The DCT or dual clutch trans is much quicker and capable of running consistent 12.4's and 12.5's. Trap speed may be higher as well.

The op is absoloutely correct in saying that the 4.0 l S65B40 (M3 engine) has zero low end. My car with bolt ons puts out more torque than a stock E92 M3. Sadly when you have a high compression low displacement V8 it is completely understandable. However, up top is where the car really shines as the op stated. So if you have a bolt on SS or bolt on SRT-8 and going from a 40 roll. You will pull. At 40 mph I am pretty sure you said you kicked it down to first. So you're putting out nearly twice the amount of torque so I would expect you to get the jump. Same goes for the SS. A 70 roll is much more in favor of the
M3's gearing. 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gears are nightmares when compared to other cars. I know for sure my car going from a 40 roll is much quicker in 3rd, 4th and 5th, and when going from a 60 roll, my 4th and 5th gear are my hardcore pull gears. So anytime when going from a 40 roll, I am typically able to pull a good car back if I am able to stop a cars pull once I hit 3rd gear if that makes sense. What really helps the M3's is not just our gearing but its' the high redline. I shift at much more awkward times than any other car out there. Once I get my headers, exhaust, and tune I can hold 3rd til 110, 4th til 148, and 5th will carry me until 175 mph and 6th I should be able to clear 180 mph before I need more power to go any faster. And the car doesn't really stop a strong pull until 160 mph. After that it takes its time til 170 mph in 5th gear with my current mods.

But good kill op. I look forward to running a stock SRT-8 charger. Should be a good run for me from a roll.
So fast would you say a bolt on e92 m3 is capable of? I have a buddy who used to have a bolt-on (headers, exhaust, intake, tune) and he was trying to convince me it was Z06 fast and 0-60'd in like 3 seconds. I ed

Just a cliff note, I love E92 M3s and 335i Coupe/Sedan, so don't think I am talking **** about them or BMW at all

Quick Reply: E92 M3 vs LS3 SS vs SRT8