Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How do I get the center cap off a CCW wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:49 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default How do I get the center cap off a CCW wheel?

I'd like to remove the center cap so I can polish it easer as well as it makes polishing the face of the wheel esier, but for some reason they don't want to come off. I tried using a rubber mallet to tap it out from the back to the front and it didn't seem like that was the way it wanted to come out, then tried tapping it from the front to the rear and it still didn't want to come off. They will rotate, so it's not like they are 'frozen' in there.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine come out rather easily just by using my hands; removing it by pushing from the front and the cap comes out the back. Mine are not the same center caps as yours though; mine are the low profile, non CCW etched ones. That's strange that they won't come out, even by using a rubber mallet.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'd like to remove the center cap so I can polish it easer as well as it makes polishing the face of the wheel esier, but for some reason they don't want to come off. I tried using a rubber mallet to tap it out from the back to the front and it didn't seem like that was the way it wanted to come out, then tried tapping it from the front to the rear and it still didn't want to come off. They will rotate, so it's not like they are 'frozen' in there.

Thanks.
mine were real tight there is a rubber gasket that holds them in place. Hit it harder with the mallet they should come out fairly easy. they wont break if you hit it hard with the rubber mallet.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

See, since I didn't know which way they came out, I wasn't going to start hitting them hard in fear of going the wrong direction and breaking them.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine out from the back, knocking them out the front, on ccw 505as, very thick center caps with the o-ring, a little lube goes a long way getting them back in easy. But theyre really not to hard, they just fit very well and if you dont get them out evenly theyll bind inside the wheel a bit. My tire guy was scared and had me do it. lol
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, good thing I didn't start smacking on it. My caps actually come out the front. I inspected it close and could see a small lip that was under the cap, so I sprayed the rear with some PB blaster, then softly tapped from the rear and it popped out the front.

Quick Reply: How do I get the center cap off a CCW wheel?