Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any 5.3's out there with Prochargers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any 5.3's out there with Prochargers?

I was just curious most of the 5.3s I see on here are turbo cars (but it does seem like turbo talk in the FI section sometimes), just wondering if it has/can be done with a centri blower.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen and heard of 5.3's running them but most were a street application in a truck. Are you talking about a max effort, big boost E-85 kinda build or what?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you see turbo 5.3 builds so often is because both can be found cheap. You can get a 5.3, On3 Performance turbo, and an intercooler for right around $1k. A crafty, experienced person can do a complete turbo build on a 5.3 for virtually nothing in terms of HP/$. Myself, I'm new to all of this and will be bolting on a TVS 2300 atop my 5.3. It's definitely a more expensive option in comparison to the common "budget 5.3 turbo build". I thought about going the whole turbo route, but the TVS is more inside my comfort zone ATM. Plus, I like the much more simple, cleaner look and the roots-style blower whine.

To answer your question: Yes, a centrifugal can be put on a 5.3. Has it been done? Absolutely. Hell, if you look hard enough and talk to the right people on here, you can probably find someone with a twin-procharged 5.3. Necessary? Maybe not, but people do things all the time just for the hell of it for the sole purpose of being a little different.

Quick Reply: Any 5.3's out there with Prochargers?