General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

? About auto lights on 02 Camaro z

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? About auto lights on 02 Camaro z

So I have an 02 z28. When I drive at night pull into a parking garage or somewhere else dark, my headlights and dash lights automatically turn on after a second or 2. But my taillights don't. They only way I can get my tail lights on is by actually turning the lights on.

Anyone gave any insight on this? It would be nice if all the lights turned in so I dont have to worry about forgetting to turn on the taillights. Or turning the lights off after I park.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm confused, how are you manually turning on your tail lights? They should be coming on automatically with your headlights, that's what mines does at least.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, tried to be as clear as possible. Basically, anytime its dark, the headlights will automatically turn on, but the tail lights dont. I have turn turn the lights on with the **** to the left of the steering wheel in order for my tailights to come on, reguardless of how dark it is outside.

I fount this out 2 days after i bought the car and got pulled over for not having tailights. I didnt know because the headlights came on I assumed the rear lights did as well.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong as to why only half of my lights are automatically coming on?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Anyone ?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Help please ...
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There has got to be some sort of short or disconnection between the auto lights controller and the taillights where as the switch still has good connection. I have no idea where the auto lights are controlled but I would find out where that is and start checking connections or replace that part. Just try to make sense of what wires are going where and what they are connecting to. Maybe searching for the layout of the switch and whole exterior lighting controls can help, its prolly close to the switch or built into it but thats just my guess. Thats just a weird problem I would never think of but I do see cars on the road that have headlights that work and tail lights that don't and vice versa but I just figured they don't really care or noticed both lights were out.