General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Found a nice 00 t/a got a few questions

Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Found a nice 00 t/a got a few questions

Wife and i was out car shopping today were looking for another LS1 T/A.
We had a 01 Formula awhile back and sold it off.
Anywy we found a Green 00 T/A today 53k on the clock, auto, really nice shape body wise however i have some serious concerns about some other things is what i'm writing about.

car has headers, dunno brand couldn't see them to well some i dunno what cold air intake setup on it. no cats, an aftermarket throttle body, edlebrock strut brace, duals all the way back to a flowmaster muffler all in all done pretty well not a hack job.
there was also a hypertech programmer in the trunk however the OBD port wasn't working so we couldn't find out anything about the programming.
assuming it was the fuse blown?
however there are some wires in the engine compartment that have been cut and retaped up.
looks like someone either changed out the injectors or something.?
several of the injector wires had been replaced with what looked like new ends. and the injectors looked new, the injectors was also grey in color??

wife found 3 wires over at the engine computer harness that had been clipped and retaped up. on the passenger side near the firewall.
also when we drove the car it ran fine steering was good everthing was fine..BUT it has an SES light on a ABS Light on and a traction control inop light on..
Btw there asking 8950.00 for it..to high, opinions?
Suggestions???

Thanks, Charles
Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Charles, this car has 'money pit' written all over it.
Abused?
Beaten?
Neglected?
I would guess "all of the above". Why even consider a car like this? I don't get it. It certainly isn't the price because that car is going to need serious $$ that will put you well over $10,000 within 6 months time.
Find your wife and yourself a nice 'stock' or 'close to stock' example for about $10,000 - $12,000 that won't have even a fraction of the issues this car has.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree w/ NC01TA i would pass on that one and try to find a nice stock T/A or Formular !
Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Green in 00? Wasnt that only a color option in 98??? I could be wrong but sounds like car was possibly painted. Also with all these wires messed around with, I would not buy it.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With each little "thing" you run into you risk that being a pain in the *** to fix..buying lightly modded or documentation showing exactly what was done should help ensure you don't buy a money pit. You just can't tell with all those little things you saw.

I would pass. Find a car that has a broken headlight motor or something...at least you know exactly what is wrong and how to fix it.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That kind of car is great if you have done all the work to it, and know its history. I agree with everyone else, I'd pass on it. Especially with the hack job on the wiring harness. Chasing electrical gremlins can be a nightmare on these cars....I have firsthand experience. As for the gray fuel injectors, it is possible they are Ford injectors. That's a common swap. If it's a '00 and green, then it's Blue-Green Cameleon. That is the only green offered that year.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

walk away is what i say.

Search this Thread