Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ticking sound

Well, I was running a 03 cobra last nite (that should tell u who won ). and we ran about 5 times in a row. After we got off the freeway and came to a stop. I could hear a very noticable Ticking sound.

So I pulled over, and it seemed like it was coming from the front of the motor. But then I could hear it from right behind the Drvr frt tire. So I shut it down. figured it was a lifter. So about 10 mins later I start it up to have my friend listen to it, and the sound seemed to have gone away.

We thought it could be that all the oil went to the back of the pan, and the front was scavaging for oil, and the front bearing was probly getting knocked around. This Morn I didn't hear anything. Even got on it a lil.

Can anybody give me anymore ideas on what it could be. Or a way to prevent it.

TIA.
Mike
Old 07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Default same problem

I have the same problem, it only happens after driving about 20+ miles or so. I was told it was a lower pulley, but Im not sure exactly how to change it. Also, can adjusting the tention pulley fix the whole problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

That is stange I have a ticking sound coming from the front left tire also. It started a few week's ago it sound's like when you have a nail in your tire and every time the part of the tire with the nail hit's the street it makes a noise.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I ran across the same issue two times with two different outcomes. The first time the ticking began I could not find the culprit. It quickly reared it's head by throwing a rod out my oil pan. A few months after the rebuild I heard it again and was terrified. This time it turned out to be a plug wire that was partly burnt through. Both problems sounded very similar. The plug wire was hard to diagnose as it wasn't causing a noticable power problem. I eventually found it by parking in a very dark area and checking for stray spark.