Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Founders adjustable LCAs not long enough

Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Founders adjustable LCAs not long enough

I recently purchased adjustable lower control arms from founders and had them put on by the guys at my shop. My rear end was shifted towards the front of the car where the back tires were around an inch away from the front of the wheel well. After they were put on and adjusted it looked close to perfect. Both tires centered. After about a month the drivers side worked it way up towards the front again. I jacked the car up to adjust it and the LCA bolt came out. There is no more thread to adjust the control arm back any further. So basically, adjusted as far back as it will go, still not centered. I have not found anyone with this problem. What could have caused the rear end to shift this bad? Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is many things, the two i would look at is the LCA mounts on your axle and the body. they could be bent.
then there is the Torque arm. if the bolts are loose, or are missing then this could cause this
also check the panhard bar. if it is loose/missing bolts then that could be the cause. also, were the adjuster bolts on the LCA's u just bought tight when you went to adjust them again?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Teching In

One was sort of loose. But I started to adjust it out to bring it back to the center and the bolt came out or the arm. So its adjusted all the way. I tightened the jam nuts real good and left it for now. But it's about an inch closer to the front on both sides. Drivers side seems to be shifted a little further though. I'll put it up on ramps when I get home and check the bolts on the torque arm and panhard. Appreciate the advice. I'll post if I figure anything out tonight.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

do you have relocation brackets?

I had a bad experience with cheap relocation brackets that shifted the rear forward
Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Teching In

I do have brackets. And it was after they were on for a month or two that I noticed the rear end shift. Didnt understand how though. So I bought the adjustable control arms to fix the issue. And again, about a month goes by and the issue is back, with no more thread to adjust the arms out further. They are founders relo-brackets as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Im pretty sure I just figured out what's causing the problem. The back of the lca relo bracket should be sitting straight up and down. Not rocked back like this right?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I had UMI LCA relocation brackets, and one side sad more forward than the other. LOTS of other people have the same problem. When I installed my Moser 9" with built in LCA relocation brackets and ditched the bolt-on versions, it fixed itself.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That relocation bracket isn't on right. You need to unbolt the shock and put the mount in front of it then put the shock through the hole and renut it
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 AM
12 Second Club

^^ this
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Teching In

That was it. The left and right lca brackets were swapped and therefor rocking back and forth making it impossible to keep the wheels aligned. I switched them back and readjusted the control arms and it's perfect now! Thanks a ton guys, this has bothering me for months now.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

so it was your lca relocation brackets and not the lcas themselves right?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

So should we change the name of the title then? lol
Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

im just wondering. because i was gonna buy their adjustable lcas and adjustable phb. theyre almost half of umi and bmr and other more popular brands.

sure "you get what you pay for" but founnders looks like qualty stuff
•1.25” x 0.095” DOM Steel Tubing.
•1045 Steel Threaded Tube Adaptor (stronger than chrome-moly).
•High Strength Chrome-Moly ¾” heat treated plated turnbuckle.
•High Frequency Pulse Welded Construction with Rosette Welds on the Bung Side for Extra Strength.
•CNC Machined bushings sleeves with Proper 12MM ID (not 1/2") for use with Factory Bolt.
•Standard Red or Black Powder Coating for a Great Looking Long Lasting Finish.
•Improves Responsiveness and Control.
•MADE IN THE USA!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Founders adjustable LCAs not long enough