General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Car wont start

I just got my Firebird a couple weeks ago and its been running amazing. No issiues at all until this morning when I get in the car and it just doesn't start at all. Pretty depressing way to start your morning haha. I get no response from the engine at all, I turn the key and nothing. I just drove 250 miles from Bradenton to Miami yesterday and it drove amazing and all of the sudden it decides not to start this morning. Battery gauge sits right in the middle. Not sure what else it can be. If anyone has any idea please help me out! I wana get back on the road asap!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you get interior lights? And sounds like the guages are working. Sounds like a bad draw or something was left on. Common issues with dead batteries is clicking and flashing of interior lights but if its nearly completely dead sounds like a serious dead battery or a horrific draw.

Try jumping it to see if you have power?? If you actually get power and jumping it helps, have the battery and Alt tested to see if they are in working order and go from there.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

I tried jumping it but it didnt work. Turn the key and nothing happens at all. No little clicks or anything. The gauges and electronics turn on. Everything but the engine works. The security light comes on for about 5 seconds then turns off. I've been reading through some stuff about the common problems with the VATS system and it seems like a huge pain in the ***. My security light doesn't flash or remain on though. Its only on for a few seconds so I'm really hoping its not a stupid security system issue.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be your starter, try rapping on it a few times with a wrench
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the Ignition relay when I had the same issue.
In the engine bay, there are two fuse boxes on driver side.

Open the lid for the fuse box closer to headlight.
You 'll see two square relays about size of 3/4 inch.

One of them is the ignition relay and other one is for AC.
First try removing it and re insert it , for any reason it could just be loose.

If that doesn't work you can swap them out and see if the car fires up.

If it does, it was just a relay problem and you can get a new one for the AC one you just used.

If it still didn't fire up & you know for sure your AC worked during your trip, then problem maybe the starter.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 07-26-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Sounds like the Ignition relay when I had the same issue.
In the engine bay, there are two fuse boxes on driver side.

Open the lid for the fuse box closer to headlight.
You 'll see two square relays about size of 3/4 inch.

One of them is the ignition relay and other one is for AC.
First try removing it and re insert it , for any reason it could just be loose.

If that doesn't work you can swap them out and see if the car fires up.

If it does, it was just a relay problem and you can get a new one for the AC one you just used.

If it still didn't fire up & you know for sure your AC worked during your trip, then problem maybe the starter.
Should they be difficult to pull out or can I just use my hands? Theyre stuck in there pretty tight and Im scared to use tools to yank them out.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

They aren't difficult but just a lil tough because of lack of space there but slowly wigle them out with your hands.

if not, you can carefully use a flat head screwdriver to prop them up to a point so you can use your fingers to pull it.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Alright I'll try that now. My dad just informed me that when he tried to move my car from behind his this morning it didn't start and when he got out the alarm suddenly went off. So now I'm pretty sure its a VATS issue but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. If this is the case though then I still don't get why the security light doesn't flash or remain on.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 07-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I personally didn't deal with a VATS problem in the past without the security acting abnormally.

The alarm going off when he closed the door, could be cause of the shock sensor by the spare tire in the trunk , but one problem at a time.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Tried using a screw driver to prop it up but still haven't been able to get it up high enough to where I can get a good enough grip to pull it out. And after further googling nevermind the VATS. I didn't know it was normal for the security light to come on for a few seconds then turn off. I guess I just never noticed it since it was never a problem. So for right now it doesn't seem like a problem with that. Once I get these damn relays out hopefully that takes care of it. If not, how can I tell if the starter is the problem?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

They look something like this on the bottom. Just grab it like you mean business and pull

Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

listen to what bacon said...

...did I just say that?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Swapped the ingition relay for the AC one and nothing changed. Any other things I should try? Starting to get pretty worried.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

No one else has any advice or suggestions?? I would really like to get this fixed or at least figure out what the problem is before I have to have it towed to the shop tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

I don't know what it's called but go to radio shack and get a voltage checker. Comes with a ground clamp on one side and a spike probe on the other. Clamp the ground to the frame and put the probe on the positive terminal at the starter. The tool is cheap and it'll tell you if it's electrical or the starter. If it's getting power, then tap on the motor. Might have a flat spot
Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

At this point, based on experience.

You should call local auto parts store & see if they test starters & alternators.
Pull yours and get it tested.

If in fact you need a new starter, take yours for a core.

Not sure if advance auto has stores in Miami but they have pretty good online coupon codes for parts.
Good luck
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
At this point, based on experience.

You should call local auto parts store & see if they test starters & alternators.
Pull yours and get it tested.

If in fact you need a new starter, take yours for a core.

Not sure if advance auto has stores in Miami but they have pretty good online coupon codes for parts.
Good luck
Theres one down the street from my house but the dudes aren't very friendly and don't seem to know what they're talking about much. I'm sure theres others I could take it to. My dad also has a friend who works at a shop hes going to try to get in touch with to see if I can take it to him tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, you got some wrong advice in this thread. Your engine isn't cranking at all so that has nothing to do with the ignition relay. If it was cranking then you could have an ignition relay problem.

SOO, that being said, try replacing the STARTER relay or swap it with your A/C relay. If that doesn't fix it then I would get a test light or volt meter and see if you have power going to the starter solenoid. If you do, then your starter is bad.

Do those two things and go from there. This is assuming you don't have a VATS issue which it sounds like you don't.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Let me ask.. is your security light on and staying on after you take the keys out?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

The security light turns on for a brief moment then turns off. As far as I know this is normal. Thank you lt1pwr1, I will try that. Hopefully it works.