Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Want To Confirm VVT Camshaft Phaser Install

Old 07-28-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Want To Confirm VVT Camshaft Phaser Install

We installed the VVT-3 camshaft today but as usual something weird happened. In the back of the phaser where the camshaft and pin goes there are 3 holes around the circumference. I had thought the pin would only fit in one of them. So I initially installed the camshaft with the pin at about the 3:30 postition as that seemed to be the spot where the teeth lined up and where the pin would slide in.

Well believe it or not somehow the camshaft turned when installing the center bolt and the pin went into one of the other holes. I wanted to be sure things were right and we pulled the sprocket back off the the pin had moved to maybe the 10:00 postion and went in one of the other holes.

So we redid it and turned the camshaft so the pin was back at the 3:30 position and re-installed it. This time it went in ok at that location and we verified it. So the question is, is the 3:30 cam pin position correct when installing a VVT camshaft?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

degree the cam and verify

Tim
Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In the VVT PV clearance thread you can see a good pic of the phaser pin holes, the dowel hole is slightly elongated than the rest., what I did was install the phaser on the cam without a chain and align the sprockets dot to dot, then pull the phaser and reinstall with the chain and it should realign and slide right on..
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Are you talking about the top left one here?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Are you talking about the top left one here?
Yes. Thanks for the pic, I'm traveling and it's hard to pull up my links.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys for the help. It has been about a month since we did the phaser conversion. I believe we lined it up dot to dot before we took the timing chain etc off. So when we removed the VVT sprocket it seemed to me the camshaft pin was at about the 3:30 position. Just looking for conformation as I did not realize it could go in another way at the time. I thought there was only one pin hole in the back of the phaser and did not pay any attention to that part of it. I have CRS syndrome. Hahaha.

We had a problem with the wrong camshaft core and had to exchange it. Now everything matches with the phaser part number, phaser kit and camshaft core. What we will do is put the valve train together for number one cylinder and watch the valve events take place. If it is 120 degrees out it will be very obvious.

As to degreeing in the camshaft that is a tough one. We did not receive any camshaft specifications with the cam and was told to install it dot-to-dot. Even if we did degree in the camshaft and it was off a couple a few degrees there is nothing one can do about it. I don't believe there is anyway to make adjustments with a VVT camshaft.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1989GTA

As to degreeing in the camshaft that is a tough one. We did not receive any camshaft specifications with the cam and was told to install it dot-to-dot. Even if we did degree in the camshaft and it was off a couple a few degrees there is nothing one can do about it. I don't believe there is anyway to make adjustments with a VVT camshaft.
that's the whole idea. If the cam grind is off some , with VVT its just a mater of adjusting the tune, not having to deal with sprocket keyways and/or adjustment dowels, etc like the old days... You will also "know" what the specs are after degreeing, so it's not a mystery any longer.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
that's the whole idea. If the cam grind is off some , with VVT its just a mater of adjusting the tune, not having to deal with sprocket keyways and/or adjustment dowels, etc like the old days... You will also "know" what the specs are after degreeing, so it's not a mystery any longer.

I did not know that. Thank you for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want To Confirm VVT Camshaft Phaser Install