Sponsored by:

Need help dropping oil pan on 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help dropping oil pan on 3rd gen

Hey Gang,

My son's car [1987 Z28 305 A4] oil pump crapped out. We did everything that the Chilton Book said. We removed the motor mount bolts, tranny bolt, oil pan is down, but just won't come out with the motor jacked up all the way. Am I missing something here or do we have to pull the engine to get this thing out?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Tim
Old 04-04-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try rotating the crank...it can interfere w/ pan removal if you have it in the wrong position.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Hey Crainholio,

I had mechanic buddy stop down the other day and we tried that twice. It seems that we are this close to getting it down, but it just won't give.

We are jacking it up on the harmonic balancer, is that a good spot? This is going on day 5 playing with this damn thing. My T/A is getting pissed sitting out in the rain and I want my garage back.

This is my next plan of action

Thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both times I had to drop the pan w/ the engine installed, I used the hoist to lift it. Can't comment on jacking w/ the balancer, never done it myself but others have so it appears safe.

Make sure the transmission mount isn't in a bind, should be completely unbolted from the crossmember so it can move w/ the engine as you raise it.

Might need to remove the distributor to get extra firewall clearance, and that last little 1/2" to get the pan out. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the crank a good place to jack..............................thats debateable. Have I done it yes. You probaly will need to pull the dizy to get clearence to get the engine high enough. It can be done I pulled my 7 qt pan in my 3rd gen a few times using this method.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Ok, I just talked to my buddy and he came up with a fool proof method to get this puppy out. First, I am just going to be watching [this is the FOOL proof part ] Next he is going to pull the bell housing and yank the engine. Gotta believe this should work. Looks like I will be busy tomorrow night. Just watching...

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

to me, thats easier anyway. i've had the motor out of the iroc more times than i'd like to remember.