Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Ls1 bottom end

Is there somewhere on ls1howto.com or on here that shows how to rebuild bottom?? And does anyone know how hard of a job it is.. I pretty much have heads off cam out and wondering is this a good time to do it and do I have to drop the engine to do it??

Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless it had bad oil pressure, spun bearing, or super high miles I would leave the bottom end alone...ls1howto is a good site but there is a big difference in building the toP end compared to the bottom end, if I were you I would let it be....
But if you are dead set on building it get a service manual as it has every little step listed in it...good luck
Old 07-29-2012, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is not easy to just rebuild the engine yourself. ideally you would get the cylinders honed, rebearing and rering the motor at the least. All of these require specific tools and experience that not everyone has. If you have never rebuilt an engine before I would highly recommend taking it to a machine shop that works on LS1 motors. The clearances can get pretty exact on these things.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Unless it had bad oil pressure, spun bearing, or super high miles I would leave the bottom end alone...ls1howto is a good site but there is a big difference in building the toP end compared to the bottom end, if I were you I would let it be....
But if you are dead set on building it get a service manual as it has every little step listed in it...good luck
Thanks I think ill just leave it alone lol.. And how low is low on the oil pressure
Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
It is not easy to just rebuild the engine yourself. ideally you would get the cylinders honed, rebearing and rering the motor at the least. All of these require specific tools and experience that not everyone has. If you have never rebuilt an engine before I would highly recommend taking it to a machine shop that works on LS1 motors. The clearances can get pretty exact on these things.
Ok I was doin a little research as well I think I can do it but im just going to leave it alone
Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We like to see anywhere between 30-40 at idle, 40-50 cruising, and higher at WOT.