Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Headed to Germany

Old 07-29-2012, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headed to Germany

Just found out im headed to Kapaun AS to the 1 CMXS. The plan is to bring over our 02 Z28. I figure the 2.73 gears should help on the road trips. I heard I need to pull off my side window tint and throw on so cats, is this true?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget to run on the autobahn.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hawaiian_Built
Just found out im headed to Kapaun AS to the 1 CMXS. The plan is to bring over our 02 Z28. I figure the 2.73 gears should help on the road trips. I heard I need to pull off my side window tint and throw on so cats, is this true?
once your car is here, you will need to pass an inspection for your USAREUR license plates. You will def need to remove side window tint, and need all emissions equipment in place. All 10+ year old cars need to be inspected annually to renew your tag also.
if your car has high mileage, you'll probably get dinged on a few things. But you get 2 months of temp plates to fix all the deficiencies, and Autozone ships to APO boxes for free.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Where is Kapuan AS? If it's anywhere near the Nurburgring I'm sure we'll run into each other.

Scott
Old 08-02-2012, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mpmjason
once your car is here, you will need to pass an inspection for your USAREUR license plates. You will def need to remove side window tint, and need all emissions equipment in place. All 10+ year old cars need to be inspected annually to renew your tag also.
if your car has high mileage, you'll probably get dinged on a few things. But you get 2 months of temp plates to fix all the deficiencies, and Autozone ships to APO boxes for free.
Can you be more specific on being dinged for a few things. We've got 90k miles on the camaro. I'm looking into some all season tires as I dont want to have to swap back and forth every season. I have an off road ypipe right now. I should be able to throw some cats on and be good right? even if they may be hollow? I was told that they dont use a sniffer.

Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28
Where is Kapuan AS? If it's anywhere near the Nurburgring I'm sure we'll run into each other.

Scott
Not quite sure where its at but they say its less then 10 mins to Ramstien
Old 08-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

google "usareur pov inspection"
there should be a .pdf file somewhere that shows what all they inspect for
they dont use a sniffer, but they put your car up on a lift and look for cats. They popped the hood on my expedition, but i wasn't paying attention to what they were looking for. No idea if they would check for AIR or EGR equipment.
Germany is rust country, so the main thing they check for is suspension condition and brake lines. All exterior lights gotta work (if you have fogs, they need good lamps), parking brakes need to be balanced.
Tires cant have dry-rot cracks, and need minimum 3 or 5/32 tread. All season tires minimum in the winter, no winters in the summer.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 AM
On The Tree

I pcs'd over with mine and it had an E-cutout and I failed inspection. Also, I got dinged because the car was lower which meant my exhaust hung a littler lower which I failed for the second time. They do the DB check on your exhaust! So ensure you have cats ( no sniffer ), exhaust is tucked up, you have no leaks anywhere, and find a way to make your exhaust not seem as loud and your set.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 AM
12 Second Club

I have never run cats on any of my cars here and never failed for it. guess it depends on the inspector. they like to gig me on the decibel levels though.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

It's all about the inspector/location. I'm @ Spang and they are really **** about the inspections here. I spent tons of money getting mine to pass here...
Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

i've heard alot of comments about it depends on the inspector. Seems true.
My truck failed several items, and when I finally got it all fixed and re-inspected, a different inspector just checked to make sure I replaced my tires and checked to see if i replaced the idler arm.
There were about 5 other items he didn't check, he said he believed me.
This was in Grafenwoehr
Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

Do not buy all season tires if you plan to drive your Z28 in the winter months. They require you to have M+S (mud and snow) tires during the winter, and some commanders inspect for the M+S, I sure did.

I was in Schweinfurt, GER, and the inspector there was rumored to be the easiest inspector around. Soldiers would drive from Graf or other bases to get inspected there. My SS was way too loud and he just told me to stay out of residential areas.

I had my Zr2 Blazer there as well, which was my winter driver. The ice melt the Germans use will eat your car. I washed my Blazer twice a month and when I changed the oil in the spring, I saw the damage that was done.

I recommend a brake upgrade. I was running Baer OEM replacements and they were great. Hawk pads as well.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
The ice melt the Germans use will eat your car. I washed my Blazer twice a month and when I changed the oil in the spring, I saw the damage that was done.
agreed 100%. One winter had my whole front suspension rusting like CRAZY. I'm gonna have to replace alot of parts here soon.
I would recommend a beater for the winters here
Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Yah the salt is brutal to the suspension. I won't drive the camaro in the winter at all.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the heads up. I'm actually getting kinda nervous about bringing the camaro over now. I feel like im going to have to baby it while im up there. I've broken 2 driveshafts and a rearend in my old camaro, which was no problem since there can be found all over the US (Craigslist). Might be kinda hard cause I drive to have fun(On closed courses and tracks of course)lol
Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the heads up. I'm actually getting kinda nervous about bringing the camaro over now. I feel like im going to have to baby it while im up there. I've broken 2 driveshafts and a rearend in my old camaro, which was no problem since there can be found all over the US (Craigslist). Might be kinda hard cause I drive to have fun(On closed courses and tracks of course)lol
Bring it. Just get a beater when you get there. Autobahn and Nurburgring are the shyte in Germany.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 AM
12 Second Club

You'll seriously regret not bringing it, like bene said get a beater for the winter. You can get parts here. I've replaced almost every part of my suspension here and done heads and cam installs on a couple cars. Built myself a complete true dual exhaust, and even had a moser 12 bolt shipped over. etc etc. Time is the hardest thing about getting parts, it takes a little longer to get things shipped over, so you gotta plan on that. I did however have a long tube, y pipe, and catback shipped over from texas-speed in 4 days using express mail. was expensive though lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headed to Germany