Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Premium Gas

Does everyone here run premium in their LS1s? Just curious. Do I run any risks if I don't use premium?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've always used premium in my LS1, always will. I like to treat my engine well and want it to last so yes I put it in. I am not sure if there are any risks if you don't tho.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:28 AM
myZ
Staging Lane

I have the cheap stuff (89 or 87, just regular unleaded) in my car and it sat for like 5 months! I fired it up after pulling the fuel injector fuses to prime it, (oil pressure) ran it, did a oil change, and couldn't hold back, i had to get on it! It seemed to run fine...but i guess there is a low octain fuel table so it will pull timing in order to prevent detonation, or stop the light unaudible detonation. So to sum it up, the pcm will pull timing to prevent detonation so you can run cheap gas...someone correct me if i'm wrong as i'm not a expert, this is just what i've been told on this board!

Not to steal this post or anything, but has anyone dynoed or more inportantly track tested regular vs premium gas at the track????...i wonder if it would have much of a effect on a STOCK car? Anyone??
Old 04-04-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have ran 93 octane in mine since 98 when it was brand new. MyZ I hope you are correct about that it will save me $$$. So anyone that knows this for sure let us know so we can save some cash.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to save cash on gas, I heard the Civic gives you about 37 MPG in the highway and about 28 in the city, and all that with 87 octane!!!

Old 04-04-2004, 03:06 AM
TECH Resident

Premium is the only way to go, IMO. Why risk putting cheap stuff in there if the PCM has a chance of getting messed up? I thought it was also recommended to put premium in?
Old 04-04-2004, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
If you really want to save cash on gas, I heard the Civic gives you about 37 MPG in the highway and about 28 in the city, and all that with 87 octane!!!

No thanks I'll get a Motor Cycle before I get one of those. I would buy a VW with a turbo on it before a civic. Thanks for the thought .
Old 04-04-2004, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

You're supposed to run premium in the LS1 because it's more resistant to knock or detonation. If you run lower octane it'll be more prone to detonation. I ran one tank of 87 through my LT1 and it ran like ****. No power SES light and crappy gas mileage.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by myZ
Not to steal this post or anything, but has anyone dynoed or more importantly track tested regular vs premium gas at the track????...i wonder if it would have much of a effect on a STOCK car? Anyone??
Haven't dynoed or been to a track but seat of the pants feel with 89 octane was not as good as it was with 93 octane. I put the lower grade in when the prices get too high and I know I'm ONLY going to be driving like on the highway;re normal crusing, no fast acceleration,Ummm like driving an economy car .
The PCM will pull timing if it detects any knock but after a couple of tanks of the good stuff, it will readjust itself for the better grade fuel. High octane is recommended but it will run on the lesser grades though,just not as well.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

i don't put anything less than 93, but normally 94 in my car and sometimes a little fuel additive just for the hell of it, i know it doesnt do anything...
Old 04-04-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

gm programmed the car to sustain the worst of gas, because a stupid owner would get a bad tank somewhere (ie mexico) and blow the motor and gm would eat the bill.

for example some porsche manuals say "93 US octane or 98 UK REQUIRED". not recommended. they still leave some play in of course.

Theres a scaler 0-100% between the high and low octane maps, so if you ran 87 it would not destroy the engine. Hell you could probably run 85 on it. they do sell that in CO.

if you're going to save money, the diesel motor is a great idea, get an old beater tdi or diesel vw and get 50mpg+ lol.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The manual says to use 91 octane or higher. Since new, I've filled it up with Mobil 93 octane. I dont even look at the price. Its just one of those things, that you just to do maintain an engine. While true that the pcm will pull timing to allow you to use 87 octane, why chance it?

--VIP1
Old 04-04-2004, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Heres what an 02 manual says verbatim:
"If your vehicle has the 5.7L V8 engine (VIN Code G), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If it is bad enough, it can damage your engine."

And there you have it folks!
Old 04-04-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Why cheap out on gas on an expensive *** engine???
Old 04-04-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The spark timing interpolates between the high octane
and low octane values based on the amount of knock
it picks up. If the low octane table is still too aggressive
for the gas*conditions you might hurt the engine. As
long as the difference is only 20 cents a gallon, you
might as well go for the gusto. If it got worse you might
be tempted to retune for 87. I know that it has been
done. However I do not know how much performance
an 87-tuned vehicle would give up, if you compared a
best-tweaked 93 vs best-tweaked 87 tune on the same
vehicle.

87 octane gas generally has a -higher- energy content
than 93 premium, but being able to run high compression
and a slower burn maximizes output more, I reckon.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran 87 in my car for a couple of tank fulls, lots of knock and detonation, rattled like Courtney Love on crack...started putting 91-93 in it and it acually gets better milage (17/28) accelerates stronger, and sounds better all the way around. Wish I had known that from the beginning.....I would rather walk than drive rice......
Old 04-04-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also sounds great, no detonation, knocking or rattling......unless I have Courtney Love in the passenger seat.......like that's gonna happen.......
Old 04-04-2004, 07:49 PM
myZ
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Joker
I ran 87 in my car for a couple of tank fulls, lots of knock and detonation, rattled like Courtney Love on crack...started putting 91-93 in it and it acually gets better milage (17/28) accelerates stronger, and sounds better all the way around. Wish I had known that from the beginning.....I would rather walk than drive rice......
That kinda weird, i've never heard any knock when using 87! And I used it for like the last 3 months before putting it in storage...never knew when the snow would come, and kept telling myself "i'll put it away ths weekend" It seemed to run fine to me...mabey i dont remember what the premium gas felt like at wot. I've almost burned all the old (about 3-4 month) 87 gas off!(thats got to have a crappy octain rating) I will fill it up with premium gas this weekend as see if i feel/hear any difference!!! if not fill it with 87 after that and see if there is any! Only thing i can think of is that your car is used to the good stuff and has to take "knock" awhile before it switches tables. Well i'll see what mine does.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

poor knock sensors could cause slow reaction time to 87 as well. They tend to go deaf rather than dead over time, (till they die).

Also tuners like to screw around with them(KR/low maps), so if you got any sort of tune i'd lay off the cheap stuff or lay off the throttle.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Launching!

A STOCK car will run fine on 87 if you stay out of the throttle. I have run several tanks of 87 in my car for various reasons, i did get lower gas mileage even though i drove it easier so it is not really worth it. Some people say theirs will get better mileage with 87 but i don't know how.

Quick Reply: Premium Gas