Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Cheap parts/Mods for performance? (67RS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap parts/Mods for performance? (67RS)

ok so i have been restoring my car.Pulled the carpet and rotting headliner out this week no major rusted out spots anywhere that's good but i still have a long way to go. I'm going to lsx the car and i'm leaning towards the lq9/4 but may go with a 5.3 and turbo it down the line i don't really need more than 500 hp and would be happy with 400+ and you can easily do that with a 5.3 a good set of cams and 8psi. But that's not really the reason for this post yes i would like some input on the motors of choice here but there is so much more that i need to make an lsx swap happen and cause i am restoring there is little budget for an lsx swap also i have a family so no getting by on ramen while i throw all my money at cars anymore.

So heres the question what parts can i get cheap or mod to get good performance out of the car and i'll give a list of what i am thinking about to make it easier to pick your brains.

Just a note here the goal is DD with a little autocross and drift thrown in.

1)front suspension)...i have seen alot of 5k full kits out there but what is wrong with modding the oem and if keeping the oem can give good results what do i need to do other than a arms coil-overs and brakes? like how can i reinforce the stock frame and get better adjustment angles for the suspension?

2)Transmission) i have a 2 speed powerglide and love it but i get alot of guys telling me to upgrade and personally i wouldn't mind upgrading to a manual what should i look for at the scrap yards other than t5 camaros and mustangs is there an over looked tranny? i may go with a 3 speed auto tranny cause i can find those built cheap.(again input)

3)Rear end) this is a 2 part question i will probably splurge here and get a tci torque arm suspension kit as it will be where all the power is headed after all but is there a kit under or around a grand that would perform almost as well.Also have a stock 10 bolt open diff on the car obviously a 9 inch is the rear of choice but is there any scrap yard options i heard some of the old jeeps were using dana 60s but not sure which or how cheap also how much work getting it to fit.

4)gas tank/fuel system) lastly as this is a budget build what is the cheapest way to go about getting the 60+ psi i need to to my ls motor. externals are far the cheapest but i don't have a clue what to look for or how to best go about modding my tank which has been off the car for more than a week now drying out so that when i figure out what i am doing i can do it.

I have spent over a year fighting with Google search for options and there are tons out there but it's hard to find ones for guys trying to save money and not break the bank.and any other things you can think of that i didn't address please feel free to list i'd like to make this a thread for people to find solutions on a budget.

thx for taking the time to read and hopefully post i have used the search function to death found a few things but not alot. Like the guy who chopped the middle out of his front subframe and used metal tubing to reconnect it that seems like a good idea both for space for the oil pan and for lightening the load if reinforced well.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 AM
On The Tree

Pro-touring . Com

Lateral-G . Net
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

not quite what i was looking for but thx i am checking them out
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

there are just too many answers to your questions to write a response so it's just best to search around those message boards with more people doing what your wanting to do and see what others have used and are happy with.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

ok well what about a "good" cheap fuel pump if i mod my own tank?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Good and cheap don't go together. You could run a walbro pump on a modified sending unit. Or you could run a Vaporworx fuel system that you modify the stock tank and use GM parts.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

good was in quotes like that as more of a joke i found a good write up on modding the stock tank and adding some baffles so that's what i am going to do and i can do it now use a regulator and keep it low for my current carbed setup and adjust the regulator later when i drop the ls in.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

also since i am going to keep my glide tell i can settle on a transmission what do i need to do to make it work with the vortec?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 AM
Staging Lane

digging this thread up so i don't have to post a new one.
the Chicane mods?
cost for just the weld in's is about 700 (haven't looked in a while)
i was thinking i like this mod and what it does for the performance but i don't like that price
does anyone have the specs on a set like height and width i figure i can cut some rolled flat steel to the right dimensions weld it up then weld it in place and save a few hundred.
i figure most important is correct height and center over the holes.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Look up gulstand mod. I think I'm misspelling it but you should still be able to find it.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

the guldstand mod changes the suspention geometry the chicane mod changes the type of coilovers you can run
Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Right but a coil over isn't going to change the handling performance of your car. The Chicane kit changes both the type of shock and the mounting location of the upper control arm.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

yes you are right but it allows for double adjustable shocks to be adjusted without removal of the shocks
Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

But adjusting the shocks doesn't help you with poor suspension geometry that first generation camaros are known for. So unless your going to change the upper mounting points or run ATS tall spindles your not doing a thing for handling other than making the ride stiffer or softer. The angles are so bad on them that in a turn it's possible for positive camber to happen on the outside wheel (wheel leaning out).
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

i know what positive camber is i built a couple of track cars... and i am doing the guldstand mod sense i am keeping the stock sub frame. i'm not sure what spindles i'm going to use yet but i do plan to either fab or buy adjustable a arms (fab only if i can borrow my machinest buddy from back east for a week)

Quick Reply: Cheap parts/Mods for performance? (67RS)