General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Are rear wheel bearings adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are rear wheel bearings adjustable?

This might sound like a dumb question but I hope someone could help please? I changed the rear wheel bearings last summer and now the car has failed its annual test as they is play in the wheels. The tester blames the wheel bearings but my local garage thinks there may be somewhere to adjust the wheels and tighten them. Does this sound correct?

If so where would I (or the garage) adjust/tighten the wheels or are the bearing that are less than a year old be faulty?

Any help would be most appreciated

PS as I always forget: 99 Trans Am Conv.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

not adjustable,a new axle and new bearing will have 'perceptable wobble',that's the design. If you have excessive,your axle could have been worn and now has worn the new bearing. You didn't state if you replaced the axle too.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

really don't understand the question..wheel bearings are not adjustable. Does he mean that the bushings in the rear suspension are loose (worn)? What exactly does your inspector not like...in detail please.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

front or back wheel bearings ?wheel bearings are not adjustable .if back wheels buy new ones and press them on correctly.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

the back wheels(axles) don't have pressed on bearings,the needle bearing assembly is pressed into the rearend housing and then the axles slide in.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 PM

What did the inspector say about your blinker fluid level? I would like to know his thoughts.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 AM

Thank you guys, this is helpfull and apologies it is a little vague. The inspector didn't say much apart from that there is play at the wheels (and there is) and he states the bearings. The bearings were replaced in August last year and I have not done a lot of driving since then but it was my garage that is wondering if there is a way to tighten/adjust like there is on other cars. I take it from the helpfull comments above that I am probably looking at a replacement rear axel?

At the same time as changing the rear wheel bearings I had the seals and fluid changed in the axel as there was a minor leak. I am going to chat again with the inspector then the garage but the way my luck is these days it's going to be a new axel!!

Before I rush out and get one, is there an after market rear axel that is superior to the OEM? once I have dealt with the money draining maintenance of my bird I would like to spend some upgrading it!!

Thanks again.

Ok, been back to the Inspector and garage. I've looked at the wheel bearings myself and they are definately shot, on both sides! There is no doubt that they need replacing. My garage had not looked at the bearings but wondering if the wheels could be adjusted. In this case obviously not.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Darthscooby1001; 08-01-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Additional