Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

99 Z28 M6 I just picked up. With issues!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Z28 M6 I just picked up. With issues!

Ok, like the headline says. I just bought a 99 Z28 M6 car and it is set up really nice. But I have a few concerns with the car.

First of all it has a Dynomax bullet cat back on it and it is way to loud to drive everyday (without getting tickets) and I would like to quiet it down some. Any ideas other than putting a different cat back on it? I am thinking about taking the muffler out of the cat back and replacing it with a spintech low profile sportsman muffler.

Second, the steering column i think might be broken internally. The steering wheel you can pull down in the direction of 7 o'clock an 1 1/2". The dimmer switch doesn't work unless you pull the column down in this direction.

Third, the cruise control doesn't work at all. Might be from the column being broken. Not sure what to check out first. Is there a way to check out the cruise?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

No one can help?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Launching!

i have a flowmaster catback thats not very loud but gives a very nice tone,
just needs to be cleaned up a bit.
interested in trade?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pins break real easy on the column have to get a new column and gm doesnt sell them have to get one at junk yard or just not worry about it. mines been broke for awhile and still works fine
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

I recommend trying a pick your own part junk yard, as they charge a flat fee and then weight for the part... it might be your cheapest bet, plus you'll have plenty of practice before trying to take your broken one out and put new one in....
Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

well as far as the cruise not working, check that all your brake lights are working....no im serious......not sure which but if 1 of your brake lights is not workin, your cruise wont work either....
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Floorman279
well as far as the cruise not working, check that all your brake lights are working....no im serious......not sure which but if 1 of your brake lights is not workin, your cruise wont work either....
Funny you should say that. The right side bulb in the center light in the wing is acting funny. Doesn't work when it's in the housing, but take it out and it works fine.
Also, I have been doing some reading on the other issues with the cruise and I will need to look at the switches on the brake and clutch pedal.

As far as the steering column goes I will take it apart and make sure all of the bolts are tight in there, since it sounds to be a common problem for them to loosen up.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run a hooker aerochamber on my car and it sounds great, no interior drone, and when you open it up its loud enough to let people know you're coming. i had a sportsman dual outlet on my el camino and it was still pretty loud for dd. get on youtube and find one you like the sound of....i think pypes has some good quality stuff too.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreak391
Funny you should say that. The right side bulb in the center light in the wing is acting funny. Doesn't work when it's in the housing, but take it out and it works fine.
Also, I have been doing some reading on the other issues with the cruise and I will need to look at the switches on the brake and clutch pedal.

As far as the steering column goes I will take it apart and make sure all of the bolts are tight in there, since it sounds to be a common problem for them to loosen up.
Well a few lights my center brake light flicker and ct up but my cruise does work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Z28 M6 I just picked up. With issues!