Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supporting Mods for Magic Stick 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supporting Mods for Magic Stick 3

What supporting mods should I add to my existing setup in my signature to put together a good combined setup to run a MS3. Im thinking 243 heads and the kit from Texas Speed for the cam.. still use 7.400 pushrods? you guys chime in on what to use.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The pushrod length will depend on what other parts you end up using. At the same time you do this swap a lot of people will look into doing stuff like an oil pump, timing chain, and lifters. If you do the lifters they might change pushrod length so it would be worth it to get a pushrod length checker in my opinion. For oil pump we usually go with the TSP LS6 ported oil pump. Timing chain wise you have a lot of options. You could go as simple as reusing your stock gears and replace the LS1 chain with an LS2. It is a stronger chain that tends not to stretch as much. Or you could look into an aftermarket single or double roller chain. I would not say those are required for this type of setup but it never hurts to over build. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
The pushrod length will depend on what other parts you end up using. At the same time you do this swap a lot of people will look into doing stuff like an oil pump, timing chain, and lifters. If you do the lifters they might change pushrod length so it would be worth it to get a pushrod length checker in my opinion. For oil pump we usually go with the TSP LS6 ported oil pump. Timing chain wise you have a lot of options. You could go as simple as reusing your stock gears and replace the LS1 chain with an LS2. It is a stronger chain that tends not to stretch as much. Or you could look into an aftermarket single or double roller chain. I would not say those are required for this type of setup but it never hurts to over build. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I guess if Im going to do this, I might as well do it right. I wont have an abundance of money to do this, so im going to buy this stuff as the money comes in, put my parts stock together, and tackle it at once. The car has 90k on it now. Does the 243 heads, unported do well with an MS3 cam? If I do get new lifters, should I get the Cadillac lifters or LS7? I have a lil piston slap on first start up, should I be worried with doing these upgrades or this a lil notorious and not a huge concern at this point?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you took on a more expensive project than you might be thinking.

An MS3 cam is like close to the all out MAX for an LS1.

I can't understand all you "Mod" lingo,

But you WILL need (to do it right)

Timing chain
Oil pump
Lifters
Lifter Trays
pushrods
Trunion upgrade

That cam will choke out the heads, so you need good flowing heads ($1500+), Intake (FAST $1000+), and exhaust (headers),

Your also going to need a good tune. Do you have a manual car? Gears? Might need to upgrade the clutch,

Your looking at $3,000+

Since you clain possible engine problems...I would look for a LQ or LY engine instead
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3,000+ let me find some customers that will spend that much on a cam swap.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
3,000+ let me find some customers that will spend that much on a cam swap.
Look right here

Camshaft $400
Timing Chain $120 (SLP)
Oil Pump $100 (SLP)
Timing chain gasket $35
ARP Pulley Bolt $30
Push Rods $115
Heads $1,000
Head Gaskets $60
ARP Studs $180
FAST 92 $850
92mm TB $350
Trunnion upgrade $125

Thats over $3,000 and I didn't add in all the Misc. stuff

Tools, RTV, cleaning products, rags, brushes....
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The MS3 runs just fine on stock heads. The magic stick cams are designed as max effort cams for stock motors. He already has 243s which are an extra 15rwhp over the stock LS1s. Cam package is 730, h/c gasket kit is 160, lifters are 140, timing chain is 45, oil pump is 180. From there you get the car tuned. If you do your own labor, which is very doable, you are well under 2k for this h/c swap. This kind of swap does not require ARP bolts. The FAST can easily be done later on down the road, another part not required for a cam swap.

OP I would recommend doing a lot of these things because of the 90k on the motor. If you didn't do it now it would need to be done soon after the abuse its about to receive. We most commonly use the LS7 lifters.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I installed that cam back in 2006 into a 2000FRC Corvette along with the TSP 243 heads/Kooks LT's, took me a full day along working with the owner of the car(I was a LS noob at the time), owner had it Don Kinder's shop the next week for the tune

Fartpipe bought the car back in 2007?

10.80's at 130MPH, on the stock shortblock with the MS3/TS heads

Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by connecticut
I installed that cam back in 2006 into a 2000FRC Corvette along with the TSP 243 heads/Kooks LT's, took me a full day along working with the owner of the car(I was a LS noob at the time), owner had it Don Kinder's shop the next week for the tune

Fartpipe bought the car back in 2007?

10.80's at 130MPH, on the stock shortblock with the MS3/TS heads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIKUNRBrkM&feature=plcp
Impressive. I will have the same set-up except I have the 228R. Not sure how much HP I will be giving up...
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
The MS3 runs just fine on stock heads. The magic stick cams are designed as max effort cams for stock motors. He already has 243s which are an extra 15rwhp over the stock LS1s. Cam package is 730, h/c gasket kit is 160, lifters are 140, timing chain is 45, oil pump is 180. From there you get the car tuned. If you do your own labor, which is very doable, you are well under 2k for this h/c swap. This kind of swap does not require ARP bolts. The FAST can easily be done later on down the road, another part not required for a cam swap.

OP I would recommend doing a lot of these things because of the 90k on the motor. If you didn't do it now it would need to be done soon after the abuse its about to receive. We most commonly use the LS7 lifters.
John, technically he doesnt really need anything but the cam. But like he said, he wants to "do it right". So a new chain/oil pump is the smart way to go.
Too many people have had the stock rockers shell out needle bearings with high lift/RPM cams too, so the trunnion upgrade is a smart move.

Also a MS3 needs headers, an intake, and good heads. If you don't your not taking advantage of the big cam.

BTW He said he doesnt have 243s yet, so he has 241s.

Obviously he can build on it as he goes, but tunes add up too. So IMHO..."Doing it right" is doing those upgrades at the same time.

If wasnt going so big on the cam, I would swap the cam and be done with it.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you.change the.crappy Ls1 lifters and trys tsp have ls2 trays for 8 $ a pop cheap upgrade but well worth it

Quick Reply: Supporting Mods for Magic Stick 3