Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ATTN: UMI Front Suspension Alignment Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATTN: UMI Front Suspension Alignment Problems

A few months ago I installed a UMI road race K-Member(#2321), and adjustable upper (#2310) and lower A-Arms(#2305) in my 2002 Camaro SS. I got everything as aligned as I could and turned it over to the professionals. Since then, I have been battling alignment problems. I have been to three different places attempting to get an alignment, one being a chassis shop here in Maryland. So far, we have been able to get everything correct except the caster. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Unfortunately, I got too excited and sold all of the stock pieces so there is no going back.

Thanks!
Matthew

Last edited by 02streetsweeperSS; 07-31-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get in contact with UMI. I have all the same stuff minus the k-member and never had any issue. My sig has the list if that matters. My only guess could possibly be that the k isn't in correctly or moving around, but like I said that's my best guess. One more possible thing is that the jam nuts aren't set on the arms. A descent shop should check that though.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I did try to contact them this afternoon. Unfortunately, they close at 4:30 EST. I will try to call them again tomorrow morning. Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you go? I've been needing to find a decent shop to get an alignment in Maryland, and don't know of anywhere reputable.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

I contacted Obsession Motorsports here in Rockville, and they outsourced it to a chassis shop. You can give them a call, and I am sure they will set you up.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02streetsweeperSS
I did try to contact them this afternoon. Unfortunately, they close at 4:30 EST. I will try to call them again tomorrow morning. Thank you for your reply.
First of all thanks for the purchase. We'll get you fixed up.

What specs are you shooting for? Can you provide a current alignment sheet?

How many threads showing on your uppers? Lowers? Factory setting is 8 threads showing or 7/8" inside the arm.

If the k-member went in properly on the alignment pins and all six bolts went in properly you should be good to go. The adjustment slots are factory location plus some additional length for "extra" alignment. Each k-member goes through a QC check before it leaves to make sure the slot location is correct.

Most alignment problems can be fixed with a bit of consultation and sometimes a call when the car is on the rack.

later

ramey
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

I've been in contact with Obsession Motorsports. Good group of guys. Will keep you posted.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

I am an idiot! It was an error on my end. I had one of the uppers installed incorrectly.

Thank you guys for the great customer support. I will continue to speak positively of your business, and recommend you to potential customers.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02streetsweeperSS
I am an idiot! It was an error on my end. I had one of the uppers installed incorrectly.

Thank you guys for the great customer support. I will continue to speak positively of your business, and recommend you to potential customers.
No problem. Thanks for choosing UMI. You should see how we put stuff together sometimes...

And while I'm at it, I'll throw out a +1 for Obsession Motorsports. Was on the phone with them a few times. Great group of guys.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any pics of your A arms and K-member after alignment ?

Quick Reply: ATTN: UMI Front Suspension Alignment Problems