Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground Control "Coilovers"

Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ground Control "Coilovers"

Well I've been looking at Springs to lower my car and make it handle a tad bit better, and a buddy of mine is going through some financial hardships and has a full set of Ground Control coilovers with Factory style bilstein shocks for an awesome price.

I've never even heard of guys running these and I tried doing a quick search and didn't find much help. Anyone run these? How do you like them? I'm looking for more street and twisties use rather than any drag racing.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly if they're a good price grab them. Bilsteins are obviously a great shock, and the Ground Control setup is basically a sleeve and an Eibach spring, that is infinitely adjustable within the 0-2"+ of height. Before I got my Edelbrock coilovers I was looking into them. I honestly haven't heard anything bad, just that the set screws sometimes are hard to break loose over time.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Grn4fbody
Well I've been looking at Springs to lower my car and make it handle a tad bit better, and a buddy of mine is going through some financial hardships and has a full set of Ground Control coilovers with Factory style bilstein shocks for an awesome price.

I've never even heard of guys running these and I tried doing a quick search and didn't find much help. Anyone run these? How do you like them? I'm looking for more street and twisties use rather than any drag racing.
Since the shocks are used be weary, you may be buying something worn out... Also what are the spring rates your buddy went with for the ground control kit?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are alot of members that use GC on here hopefully someone will chim in for ya. Most will tell you it depends on what your wanting out of your car and how you want it to handle and feel.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

They are new struts, he was building a turbo V6 car and it all went south. Not sure what springs he went with. I'll ask.

He told me 550 for everything, after looking into it. It might not be as awesome as I think.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tbird-how do u like the Edelbrock coilovers? Are they similar to the Afco or Strange, or KW with real damping?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

the eldebrock IAS front shocks are nothing to write home about
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Teching In

If its a good price grab em. I run re-valved konis with the ground control set up. I love it. Im more of a auto-x road race guy so I have some stiffer springs (600#). Ive never had any problemm. The nice thing about them is u can set your ride height where u want it and still run a softer spring if u want "stock feel". You can buy Eibach coil over springs for not to much money.

I think why a lot of people on here dont buy them Is its more of a street car / drag race orienated site. To buy the setup new is a little bit on the pricey side when you can just buy drop springs.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I would consider just getting the Strano springs, but if you can get the GC coilovers for less than 200 bucks and the springs are either 550# fronts and 150# rears, then that're pretty good.

but the Bilstein's will not be able to handle that stiffness AND lowered stance, they'll end up blowing out unless you set the coilovers to stock height or 1" lowered MAX.
they will probably still end up being stiff for you, but if this is like a limited budget and you get the GC coilover setup at a great price well, your call.

I got the GC coilover setup, originally bought them with 500# fronts and 150# rears with the Koni DA's, I ended up buying stiffer springs 600# fronts 200# rears only because I felt that the 500# fronts were too soft and I got about 200lbs of stereo **** in the back.

once I figured out the height that I wanted then I got an alignment and that was that.

but my stance is just a touch lower than the Strano's, and to tell you the truth, I should have just bought Strano's springs as I spent over 400 bucks just for the original GC setup and buying stiffer springs later, and having to re-align the tires after I switched springs and waited for them to settle into their natural state when weight was added to them.

Again, your call.

Me, I love them!!!
Took me a while to get exactly what I wanted and it cost me more money than getting Strano's springs but all in all, I'm pretty pleased.

If you lower your vehicle more than an inch I would advise to go for the Koni's, as they are ridiculously beefy and designed for our lowered cars, think about it or better yet ask Sam Strano!

And my car is set up for the twisties, LOVE the twisties!!!

Last edited by Carlos01SS; 08-05-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default Suspension

Excuse the HI-JACK, but I need to do my suspension. I have about 300lbs of stereo and a Moser 9" with all of the extra heavy duty related parts. " Carlos01SS recommended 600# rear and 200# front springs." Any paticular struts and shocks? Anything that I should change or retain on the set-up. thx
Old 08-05-2012, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Honestly I would consider just getting the Strano springs, but if you can get the GC coilovers for less than 200 bucks and the springs are either 550# fronts and 150# rears, then that're pretty good.

but the Bilstein's will not be able to handle that stiffness AND lowered stance, they'll end up blowing out unless you set the coilovers to stock height or 1" lowered MAX.
they will probably still end up being stiff for you, but if this is like a limited budget and you get the GC coilover setup at a great price well, your call.

I got the GC coilover setup, originally bought them with 500# fronts and 150# rears with the Koni DA's, I ended up buying stiffer springs 600# fronts 200# rears only because I felt that the 500# fronts were too soft and I got about 200lbs of stereo **** in the back.

once I figured out the height that I wanted then I got an alignment and that was that.

but my stance is just a touch lower than the Strano's, and to tell you the truth, I should have just bought Strano's springs as I spent over 400 bucks just for the original GC setup and buying stiffer springs later, and having to re-align the tires after I switched springs and waited for them to settle into their natural state when weight was added to them.

Again, your call.

Me, I love them!!!
Took me a while to get exactly what I wanted and it cost me more money than getting Strano's springs but all in all, I'm pretty pleased.

If you lower your vehicle more than an inch I would advise to go for the Koni's, as they are ridiculously beefy and designed for our lowered cars, think about it or better yet ask Sam Strano!

And my car is set up for the twisties, LOVE the twisties!!!
See I thought about getting the Strano's and maybe some Koni's instead
Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by spordee1
Excuse the HI-JACK, but I need to do my suspension. I have about 300lbs of stereo and a Moser 9" with all of the extra heavy duty related parts. " Carlos01SS recommended 600# rear and 200# front springs." Any paticular struts and shocks? Anything that I should change or retain on the set-up. thx
Really?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spordee1
WTF..!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ground Control 550# 175# with Bilsteins and front upper mount mod work well.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GC with 625 lb.in. front w/Koni SAs w/UMM. Rear, RideTech Coolride kit, w/Koni SAs.
I've had 550, 600, and 625 lb.in. springs, over the last 10yrs. The Bilsteins will work surprisingly good, but not great. I've ran the GC setup with the Bilsteins before and it was a good combo, oh and I've ran 150, 175, and 200 lb.in springs in the rear at various times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ground Control "Coilovers"