Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano 3 way rear adjustable sway bar??

Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano 3 way rear adjustable sway bar??

My rear suspension sucks on the street, Rides to rough, I have a big fat spohn "Drag" sway bar, it was recomended to try this bar by strano:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7

its a 3-way adjustable is anyone using this bar, how do u like it ?
Please help, i dont want to wast more money
Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS2Ttype
My rear suspension sucks on the street, Rides to rough, I have a big fat spohn "Drag" sway bar, it was recomended to try this bar by strano:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7

its a 3-way adjustable is anyone using this bar, how do u like it ?
Please help, i dont want to wast more money
It's a great bar. I like the adjustability. If you want ot take twisties or hit up the strip, you can just adjust the mounting holes and pre-load.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so making the bar shorter in the back increases how much the bar reduces roll?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
so making the bar shorter in the back increases how much the bar reduces roll?
Yarp that is my understanding. Someone smarter than me can chime in and provide a more technical explanation.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Launching!

LS1HighLife are you using this bar on your 2000 Z?? i have a Spohn "DRAG" bar on my 01SS now , its a monster about 1.5" and solid, according to strano its not a sway bar its a girtter, anyhow i think its why my car rides so rough in the back, my rear suspension is more like a swing arm so a bump on the left affects the right side and visa versa.

OK here is my suspension, Front: all stock except for the S/A Konies set to what sam told me to put them at , I did use the lower perch setting and used the stock springs, IMOP the 1/2" it lowered the car was perfect for me, I might readjust the front a bit to a little more softer.

Rear:, UMI LCA's with poly bushings and they are adjustable in the middle, Nice LCA's IMOP

Pan hard bar , polly bushings and adjustable in the middle,

UMI TQ arm relocation brace and spohn adjustable TQ arm,

stock spings and Koni S/A shocks set i think soft, whatever Sam told me to put them at

Anyway i think its mostly the Monster Spohn Drag sway bar, AKA realy a anti roll bar in this case, thats making my ride suck over rough road, in most cases not even that rough of road.

Any input will be appreciated
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 AM
11 Second Club

Your sway bar is fpr a drag only aplication. Either go back to stock or sell yoir nar and get a 21mm from someone.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Yeah i hear ya and thats what i was also told, But why a 21mm Why not strano's 7/8" or 1" 3 way adjustable, Strano felt i shoud go with the bigger 1" over the 7/8 bar because i use my car for cursing and some hard street pulls and she makes 740rwhp,

i think the 7/8" bar is = to 22mm and the 1" is 25mm, something like that

also i hear my spohn "drag" bar is like 1,200 to 1,500 PSI where the strano 1" adjustable is like 300 psi max so it sound like it will twist a little i thing the stocker is like 180psi and the performance road race bars are like 220-250 psi
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Launching!

and if this is the case that would mean my car has no left to right suspension, with the drag bar i only have up and down suspension accross the axle, Maybe im wrong, does that make sence?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would a sway bar make a car ride bad?

Springs and shocks, yes.....sway bar please explain.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Yarp that is my understanding. Someone smarter than me can chime in and provide a more technical explanation.
Take a coat hanger, unravel it and bend it sort of into a square with one side missing, corners slightly rounded so that it slightly looks like a swaybar. Holding the side opposite from the missing side so that it doesnt move, twist both adjacent sides in opposite directions from each other. Now cut the sides that you twist down so they are about 2 inches long on each side. Attempt to twist both sides opposite from each other. This time it requires more force.

Hopefully this makes sense and I didn't just confuse everyone.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Why would a sway bar make a car ride bad?

Springs and shocks, yes.....sway bar please explain.
For example on a car that has such a stiff swaybar that there's almost no sway... if the car hits a normal bump straight up, the suspension will simply compress normally. Both sides of the swaybar aren't resisting one another in this case... no change in ride characteristic here.

In the case where one tire hits a bigger bump than the opposite tire... the stiffer swaybar when coming up will also pick up the opposite side of the car, where the less stiff swaybar will allow the other side to go over the bump and not effect the opposite side as much.

So basically bumps that are hit evenly won't make much difference. It's more when the opposite tires hit uneven surfaces from each other.

Ride quality is all subjective... What's more interesting is the details of how the suspension reacts differently
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Launching!

That sounds right Z28bryan
Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Launching!

any other input
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Launching!

im debating on either getting a regular 22mm rear sway bar or stranos 1" hollow adjustable bar, doesnt seem to be a lot of F-body guys running his adjustable sway bar??
Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
its a lever. farther in, less leverage. farther out, more leverage.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I considered Strano's adjustable rear swaybar. I ended up going with the Spohn 1" solid due to price. It is not installed as of yet since I am waiting on a rearend so I have no feedback. My thinking was I wanted something not too wild like a anti roll bar but wanted something a little stiffer to help plant what power I plan to achieve (hopefully in the 10's one day).
Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Launching!

SSgunny your right , i have a anti roll bar with the spohn "drag" bar , the drag bar is somthing like 1200-1500 PSI the stock bar is like 180, the one you have is around 300 and the strano adjustable is about 300 at its stiffest setting,

i would say and NOT being a expert that a bar in the 200-400 psi range will bend and twist still, and act like a performance sway bar, where a drag bar is more of a anti roll bar and prevents all twisting, i guess great for the track but terriable in the street
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

One benefit of the strano rear that I like is the adjustability of the endlinks. I feel like the endlinks I get from the typical kits are never the ideal length.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS2, my thinking was since the 1" Spohn's bar was solid it would provide a bit more stiffness than than Sam's adjustable. Since I have SA QA1's all around the car is strip oriented so it's adjustability didn't appeal to me although I am sure his is lighter.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Launching!

SSGunny , i understand what your saying, and i agree, thats why i didnt buy another swar bar yett, the one i have now is obvious to big to stiff for a street car, a 7/8"bar or 22mm is stiffer than stock and good for handling, but a 1" or 25mm might be the way to go, a little stiffer for launching and keeping the car straight , Strano has two adjustable bars one is a 7/8 the other is a 1" he told me there the same price and to go with the 1" thats its a bit stiffer and would be more for keeping the car from twisting on hard take offs, he also said that a 1" hollow or 1" solid is the same, it works the same just that its made different and is lighter than the solid bars, But at the same time i wanted a bar that would keep the car straight and also ride nice but there doesnt seem to be one perfect bar unless i get the adjustable one , and mess with it to see where it rides nice and still keeps my car from twisting all over the place, I guess the 740 RWHP and 670 RWTQ on M/T DR doesnt help, "but" i dont go crazy with her, i just do pulls from a slow roll, im still on the stock 10 bolt rear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strano 3 way rear adjustable sway bar??