Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My black Bird down...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My black Bird down...

So I have the car uP on jacks in the garage for a little over a week hcause I snapped a bolt off the torque arm.

While it was up there I took the battery out, and relocated the traction control and did the wire hide mod.

Today I finished everything uP and hooked everything up...

I didn't hook up the ASR on the traction control because I didn't have the materials to extent it yet...

I relocated 2 ground wires (the 2 on the passenger side)

And I removed all my exhaust so I have open headers and I taped/zip tied the 02 connecters

I started it and let it idle for 10 mins toget the PCM set up..

So I shut it off and when I went to leave, I went to start it and the damn security light went off so I had to wait...

So after two times of the security light going off I got to start it. Well I backed out of the garage and when I went shifted to first and released the clutch, it killed itself and then wouldn't start... It sat there and cranked and cranked and cranked...

I'd let it sit and then after like 5 minutes it would start again.... Then kill itself when I shifted to first and released its clutch, then it would kill itself....

I repeated this process like 3 times... It will idle all day but wen I shift to first and go to release the clutch, it will kill itsself and will only sit and crank and crank and crank unless I let it sit..

Am I running too rich and it's just flooding it? I'm lost
Old 08-02-2012, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Helppp
Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 AM
Staging Lane

Did you hook everything back up the rite way?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

I don't have the traction control wire hooked up but that shouldn't bother should it? I thought that was just traction control.

My traction control is off all the time now as well... I don't think that's the problem.

Other than that, everything is plugged and my ground wires are obviously ok since my car started.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Whats the car do if its in netural and you give it a little gas. My guess is its either something with the traction control not being hooked up or the computer thinks maybe the cars being stolen for some reason?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

In nutrual it acts normal. It reacts to the gas pedal and revs up and won't die. But it does sound Lopey like I have a cam in it.

This is why I think it's a tune issue because it will start on a dime but die on take off and then will only crank... Then if I sit and wait it will restart right up again
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

ok. found out what it is.

when i turn my hi beams on. the car dies.

bad ground or blown fuse?

Quick Reply: My black Bird down...