Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight off on rod bolt-Will it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weight off on rod bolt-Will it matter?

Got a question. I am installing my first engine from scratch and I ran into my first major problem. I was tightening the ARP rod bolt and apparently my 3/8in 12 point socket stripped the bolt. I took a dremmel and knocked off the "bumps" on the arp bolt and made into a slightly smaller hex nut. I tapped a 9mm hex socket (3/8 had a little too much play) on and finshed tightening it down. Will this little bit of weight knocked off the bolt matter? It couldn't of been more than .07grams shaved off. I'd replace the bolt but I'm sure I won't find just one arp bolt and I don't want to have to buy a whole new set.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rotarnomore
Got a question. I am installing my first engine from scratch and I ran into my first major problem. I was tightening the ARP rod bolt and apparently my 3/8in 12 point socket stripped the bolt. I took a dremmel and knocked off the "bumps" on the arp bolt and made into a slightly smaller hex nut. I tapped a 9mm hex socket (3/8 had a little too much play) on and finshed tightening it down. Will this little bit of weight knocked off the bolt matter? It couldn't of been more than .07grams shaved off. I'd replace the bolt but I'm sure I won't find just one arp bolt and I don't want to have to buy a whole new set.
Thanks,
Chris
thats not going to be an issue. would worry about it
Old 04-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't worry about the weight you're throwing off your balance by... But just for the record, I've dealt with ARP on issues like this before, and they are more than helpful when it comes to getting you a new bolt. Everything breaks, and I've had a couple ARP fasteners snap on me over the year during a torque sequence. The last time was a head bolt for an LS1. I got in touch with ARP and he had a new bolt out to me in within a couple days.

Quick Reply: Weight off on rod bolt-Will it matter?