Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slp lid malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slp lid malfunction

Alright guys sorry if this has been beaten to death already, but I searched and found nothing similar to my story. Anyway, here it goes.

So I have noticed my car having a slight hesitation when over 75% throttle. No SES. It's bad at 3000+rpm. So of course I check and clean the maf.. No difference. Check all plugs and wires to make sure it's not a loose connection, nothing out of place. Next I move onto the fuel pressure, 58psi.. Ok so what the hell is going on here?! The car is tuned by redline performance and ran Amazing for the mods till this started. I'm about to throw in the towel and start spending money, when I decide to check my intake and throttle body again. I take the filter out and for whatever reason notice that foam sealing strip at the back of my lid is missing... Upon further investigation I see about 1" of it hanging out of the neck on my lid/maf housing. When I look better with a light, this 14" long strip of foam has completely blocked my intake and is all wadded up on the screen inside the maf. Without this screen it could gave been catastrophic. As soon as I put everything back together and start the car the idle is even smoother. Took it for a test run 1st-4th and back to it's original smooth torquey self. Just thought I'd put this out there to help anyone having similar issues. The car would run ok from time to time, but would bog bad when it was choked by the foam sealing strip. At least it was a free fix this time, and thank god I kept that screen in there.

Last edited by Cjm1991; 08-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not a lid malfunction. The LID in no way failed. It was the glue on a strip of foam. If you had any sense about you, this would be replaced on a yearly basis at the most. That is not a permanent piece. Your example is the perfect reason why no one should remove the screen on their MAF.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Well either way it shouldn't come undone, lid has only been on for a few months. Although it has been 90+* on a daily basis. Thought it might save someone the headache I had.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cjm1991
Well either way it shouldn't come undone, lid has only been on for a few months. Although it has been 90+* on a daily basis. Thought it might save someone the headache I had.
You just answered your own question. Daily temps of 90+ with engine temps on top of it. You can't expect the world of a $2 piece of sticky foam. Buy another piece and get over it already.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Decadence75
You just answered your own question. Daily temps of 90+ with engine temps on top of it. You can't expect the world of a $2 piece of sticky foam. Buy another piece and get over it already.
I was over it the moment I pulled it off the screen and my car ran great again It's such a common mod I figured it was worth posting, especially with how hot it's been this summer. /thread
Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Wow dude, decadence must have been having a rough day! Kinda comin off like a dick in here.

This was a very worthwhile post, and shows another good reason for the honeycomb. Not really there for that reason it is to smooth out the air passing through the maf, but it can act like a second line of defense for large objects. If it was a new lid, I would be a little pissed to be honest though, it gets very hot under out hoods and should withstand those temps.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrob56
Wow dude, decadence must have been having a rough day! Kinda comin off like a dick in here.

This was a very worthwhile post, and shows another good reason for the honeycomb. Not really there for that reason it is to smooth out the air passing through the maf, but it can act like a second line of defense for large objects. If it was a new lid, I would be a little pissed to be honest though, it gets very hot under out hoods and should withstand those temps.
It's all good, we all have bad days.

It was a Bnib Slp lid so it really shouldn't have happened, maybe I got a lemon. I was getting worried though when everything came up fine and the car was bogging terribly after 3k, luckily I decided to check one last time and really look in there.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Yeah, what is your problem, dude? Do you really replace the foam every year (at most)? Does that mean the foam on the bottom of my stock '02 lid is about to disintegrate and plug off my MAF screen and I'm dumb for not thinking of this?

OP, auto parts stores have a wide variety of foam strips. I like the wider ones because there is more surface area for adhesive. Get some and replace that SLP strip, or you'll find it doesn't seal completely on the back of the filter. Also, keeping a screen is a good idea. But look into the SaxonPC screens, they are an inexpensive and effective upgrade.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Yeah, what is your problem, dude? Do you really replace the foam every year (at most)? Does that mean the foam on the bottom of my stock '02 lid is about to disintegrate and plug off my MAF screen and I'm dumb for not thinking of this?

OP, auto parts stores have a wide variety of foam strips. I like the wider ones because there is more surface area for adhesive. Get some and replace that SLP strip, or you'll find it doesn't seal completely on the back of the filter. Also, keeping a screen is a good idea. But look into the SaxonPC screens, they are an inexpensive and effective upgrade.
That's a good plan, I'll definitely look into the saxonPC screen. I have nothing there at the moment, and this is my daily.. Should I not drive it till I replace the foam strip? It does feel lose in the back. I have a ws6 to drive if need be but it's a pain with the mods.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have any type of foam strip on my SLP lid, where's it supposed to be?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Conrad
I don't have any type of foam strip on my SLP lid, where's it supposed to be?
Right along the back side of the air box itself under the lid. It comes with the package, I'll post a pic of it.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...rods-lid-2.jpg. You can see where the glue failed on this one, or the guy removed it.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah ok. I see no reason to have that unless you're going through a major sandstorm.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrad
Ah ok. I see no reason to have that unless you're going through a major sandstorm.
That's just it! I live down on the Gulf Coast and regularly drive along the beach. When I had my crappy clear MTI lid, it had a HUGE gap between the back of the lid and the back of the filter. Because the lid was clear, I could actually see sand sitting on the engine side of my air filter

You just never know what your driving conditions will be out on the road... and I'd bet if you went and looked at the back of your SLP lid, you'd see there's a fair sized gap! Stock lids sit perfect on most filters, aftermarket ones, not so much. The foam is DEFINITELY worth the peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Slp lid malfunction