Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Little run in with a 1965 Cutlass 442 (no vids)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Little run in with a 1965 Cutlass 442 (no vids)

Sorry guys, it was a random run in and we weren't able to get video so you'll have to make due with my riveting tale.

My friend and I were cruising around today, poking around in a couple tool stores, and we ran into this on the highway on the way back:

I've seen this car before and talked to the owner and he's a real nice guy and has talked about racing before, so we figured he would be down. We got his attention and he was definitely up for a race. We each had a passenger and after a short drive the highway opened up with no traffic.

We slowed down to about 40 and I dropped it to 2nd gear. I looked over and he asked if I was ready and I said yes. He said "ready, go" and we hit it. I started walking pretty good right off the hit and got out pretty good on him.

I slowed to let him catch up and there was still no traffic, with room ahead, so we lined up a second run. We slowed to 30 mph, and I tried to drop it to 1st gear, but we were going a little too fast for it to downshift again (I can do 30 mph runs starting in 1st, I just have to slow down to get into 1st and then speed back up). I ended up staying in 2nd gear and once we were ready he said "ready, go" and we hit it. This time we stayed even for a couple seconds and then I started walking again, getting out pretty good up to 120 or so.

We both got off the highway and pulled into a parking to chat. His car was very clean, sounded very good, and to be honest I was expecting to get dragged down the highway.

We shook hands and he asked about my car. He has a mildly built 455 with a TH400 transmission and was on MT drag radials. He also has a nitrous kit jetted to 150, but we both ran on motor. I'm hoping that we can get some nitrous runs down the road at some point. Made for a fun time

Shot of the two cars:

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 08-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Nice race man both cars look awesome! i always wanted to race a classic muscle car i'm jealous! nice kill man
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks! I always enjoy racing older muscle because you never know what you're gonna get and they almost always sound good.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kill and both cars look great.

I would be interested in hearing how this race would have went from a dig.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM

Thanks!

A dig would have been fun, but wasn't possible on the highway in the middle of the day.