View Full Version : Any one waiting to see Chevy's SS Sedan?

omgitsmikeyc
08-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I have been mulling this over for quite a while. I recently hinted at possibly waiting this out, especially given the G8 I would've sold my soul for (Blue GXP AT) just sold before I could even get serious about lining up assets to obtain, I think I may just wait for this car to arrive. I am not thrilled it won't be a pontiac, but somehow waiting for it might pay off (I'm hoping for slightly higher tune, lighter body and some more features). Is anyone else here anticipating this car? It's said to be placed on sale come end of 2013, as a 2014, so they must have a "concept" debuting about november-february. It'll basically be the Holden Commodore VF. What do you hope they will change/leave alone? What do you predict will be improved? :cheers:

Tainted
08-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Itll be a lot better. Newer chassis, new car, new body etc etc whats not to love?

Compg
08-03-2012, 01:43 AM
They have said it will debut at Daytona Nascar race in Feb. 2013, not before. They even stopped Holden from showing the New Commodore VF until that day so no-one will know what it'll look like.
Tate

LPTXZ28
08-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I am anticipating it very much now that some stupid bit#h rearended ours and did 9k worth of damage. Hoping we can get out of it an into the SS and maybe have navigation and the ls3.

pic18
08-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm waiting for it too, but I think the price is going to be $45k+. Nice GXP's can still be had for around $35k

canada4g63
08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
There already out in police packages.

omgitsmikeyc
08-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I sure hope it's not 45k but I'd gladly pay 35-40....

SLOW SEDAN
08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I could use a new bumper... haha

Compg
08-04-2012, 02:43 AM
There already out in police packages.

No they are not. The police caprice you are referring to is a streched version of the Commodore VE platform (think current G8). The new VF platform is a new animal and not out anywhere.
Tate

02LS1z
08-04-2012, 09:47 AM
i just have a feeling chevy will ruin it but time will tell

SLOW SEDAN
08-04-2012, 09:55 AM
No they are not. The police caprice you are referring to is a streched version of the Commodore VE platform (think current G8). The new VF platform is a new animal and not out anywhere.
Tate

Whats so different about it... looks like Chevy changed the front bumper. Otherwise it looks just like a G8.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/chevrolet-lumina-ss-based-on-the-holden-commodore_100390618_m.jpg

omgitsmikeyc
08-04-2012, 11:00 AM
He means it'll be a new chassis, smaller wheel base, 300 lbs (est.) lighter with more advanced trans, suspension and engine. I'm guessing 450hp range. They can't bring a 7 year old body as competitive now, it doesn't matter for police cars( how many gens of Victorias have been identical?)

SLOW SEDAN
08-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I doubt it'll be on a new chassis, GM already said it would be on the Zeta chassis (IE G8 & Camaro). I doubt it will be much if any lighter then a G8, its still going to be a full size car.

Plus its hard to get a much better trans then the 6L80 or TR-6060 offered in the G8's. GM said it will basically have the engine and trans offerings from the GXP G8. If they were smart they would just through the CTS-V's 6L90 in it and call it a day.

omgitsmikeyc
08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I doubt it'll be on a new chassis, GM already said it would be on the Zeta chassis (IE G8 & Camaro). I doubt it will be much if any lighter then a G8, its still going to be a full size car.

Plus its hard to get a much better trans then the 6L80 or TR-6060 offered in the G8's. GM said it will basically have the engine and trans offerings from the GXP G8. If they were smart they would just through the CTS-V's 6L90 in it and call it a day.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/05/vf-holden-commodore-refresh-to-bring-lighter-weight-improved-production-efficiency/

When the Chevrolet SS starts shipping to dealers in late 2013, the limited-production model will be closely related to the upcoming VF version of the Holden Commodore. That much we already knew. But after speaking to a trusted source familiar with GM’s plans for Zeta-based vehicles, we were able to garner a few important details about the upcoming update.
To start, the VF will be “noticeably lighter” than the current VE series thanks to a refresh that will be “significant in nature”. Sources tell us that the engineering team was able to shave off weight “where it counts” without having to make sacrifices or serious changes to the architecture itself. The decrease in poundage is said to result in a more rewarding driving experience and noticeably better fuel economy — which is expected to improve by at least seven percent. If there’s anything the Zeta platform has been criticized for, its the weight, so this news is very positive for those who appreciate handling.
In addition, a source familiar with Holden’s manufacturing plans told GM Authority that the production process itself will receive a few upgrades, the most significant of which will be the ability to create a left-hand-drive model more efficiently compared to the current process. Whether the improved efficiency will be at the production line at the Elizabeth plant itself or at the supplier level was not revealed. Regardless, these updates to the production process make sense given the Chevy SS Performance sedans bound for North America. It’s also easy to imagine GM’s LFX V6 engine being the base engine, with a powerful, bellowing small block V8 as an option.
Lastly, according to Australia’s GoAuto, a new collision warning system (probably what we see in the GMC Terrain and Chevy Equinox), blind-spot alert, remote engine start, and push-button start are among the features that will be found in the VF Commodore and Chevy SuperSport, along with electric power steering and an electric parking brake — though we kindly wish for an optional lever parking brake, for the sake of shenanigans. A flat-bottom steering wheel will also be present (yay!), and so will LED daytime running lights.

http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-2014-chevrolet-ss-sedan-212071.html

we don’t yet know which V-8 will power the new sedan. The SS could share the same supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 as found in the Cadillac CTS-V, but there’s also a chance that GM’s new 5.5-liter small block direct-injected V-8 could make its way into the SS. If the SS ever gets the 5.5-liter V-8, though, expect the next-generation Corvette to use the engine first. The other likely candidate is GM’s 6.2-liter LS3 V-8, which is currently found under the hood of the Corvette and Camaro.
(END QUOTE)
__________________________________________________ ________________________

I do not see them down tuning the motor from Camaro spec at least, which is about 20 horses over the previous GXP form stock. Gm themselves has mentioned the weight, composite and production efficiency benefits in the new model. It will indeed be on a zeta chassis (zeta II) reworked and fine tuned. They are looking to improve on this car, given as it will also be a brand new Australian variant. Why re-badge and bring back an identical 7 year old model, as it has stayed in production in Australia this whole time. They must improve or people won't be inclined to buy the new one. Don't get me wrong, I love the G8 and G8 GXP, I came a hair trigger away from buying one last week, but it sounds like the next version will not be a direct carry over either.

SLOW SEDAN
08-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Yeah I've seen that optimist article along with plenty others that arent so inspiring.. its GM dont get your hopes up. Its still going to be a 3,800+lb sedan.

They need to do something drastic to impress me enough to buy another one of these turd buckets. It would be awesome if they make something better then the G8, they need too. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
08-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Itll be a lot better. Newer chassis, new car, new body etc etc whats not to love?

Also thinking G8 demand/price will drop off a lot except to the hardcore fanatics who have a boner for how the Pontiac version looks.

Compg
08-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah I've seen that optimist article along with plenty others that arent so inspiring.. its GM dont get your hopes up. Its still going to be a 3,800+lb sedan.

They need to do something drastic to impress me enough to buy another one of these turd buckets. It would be awesome if they make something better then the G8, they need too. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Even if they got it in at 3800 lbs that would be a hell of an improvement. My G8 GT stock weighed in at 4100 full fuel without me in it. 300 lbs less would be a great thing. And that pic posted is of the Commodore VE platform not the new VF platform. That's why it looks like a G8 with a differnet bumper, it is.
Tate

SLOW SEDAN
08-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Even if they got it in at 3800 lbs that would be a hell of an improvement. My G8 GT stock weighed in at 4100 full fuel without me in it. 300 lbs less would be a great thing. And that pic posted is of the Commodore VE platform not the new VF platform. That's why it looks like a G8 with a differnet bumper, it is.
Tate

Yeah it would, but we'll see if it actually happens. It took GM years longer then the competition to design a car that finally competed with the cars in its class on weight (Cadillac ATS). If it is indeed on the Zeta chassis I'll be intrigued where they take the weight off. At the end of the day I doubt they will get the sedan lighter then the Camaro.

I got my G8 down in weight by changing simple things, lighter wheels, losing the cast iron manifolds and heavy mufflers, removing 10kilos of weight bolted to subframe, swapping out 50lb battery, etc. Little things that anyone can do. As I changed things I saw the G8 weight drop from 4100 to 3900, to 3800, etc.

wooddaniel
08-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Im eagerly awaiting this car. Rear drive Sport sedan with a V8? Sign me up! I regret selling my G8

SLP4CamaroSS
08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
cant wait to see how it looks depends if i get one or not

brewersprts
08-12-2012, 09:36 AM
I like the G8 a lot. But a lack of power and no manual kept me from buying a new one instead of my used z06 at the time. I also hate all the fake scoops and vents, that drives me insane. It's a v8, why not have functional hood scoops etc... Why can't they take a page from the Aussies and give us something like the Bathurst edition? It would be the first brand new car I ever bought. Hell, I might even have a couple kids so I have a reason to need a back seat.

Throw a LS7 in a special edition one, or a ls9. I'd be ok with a lsa in it. I didn't feel that the gxp was that much better than the regular g8 gt other than it offered a manual.

BMW and Mercedes especially will let you choose from a whole bunch of motors. Something reasonable up to more power than you could possibly need in big saloon

Bluebird5.0
08-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Well I just got my G8 so I'm planning on enjoying this for years to come but if the day comes to move on I am sure I will be looking into one of these. I can't wait to see final pictures of the way it will look.

omgitsmikeyc
08-16-2012, 09:17 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-chevrolet-ss-spy-photos-and-renderings-news
A new rendering by C&D- not in love with it but it could be worse...http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q2/458734/2014-chevrolet-ss-artists-rendering-photo-469221-s-520x318.jpghttp://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q2/458734/2014-chevrolet-ss-artists-rendering-photo-469220-s-520x318.jpg

wooddaniel
08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
As long as it has a V8 and RWD I dont care what it looks like to a point

wooddaniel
08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
And hopefully the option of a M6

omgitsmikeyc
08-29-2012, 10:00 PM
There was a test mule spotted wearing some G8 body cladding, with some noticeable differences. Mismatched wheels (with HUGE rears), v6 lights, an intake near the brakes (cooling effect, hoping funtionally) and an exhaust much too big for a V6. And, its RHD. Hopefully more will leak out soon...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/28/chevy-ss-prototype-spotted-wearing-pontiac-g8-clothes/
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/08/00-chevy-ss-mule-628.jpg

wooddaniel
08-30-2012, 05:59 AM
I hope they leave the front grille as is, that was a menacing looking car from the front

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
08-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't get why they can't bring over the Aussie styling and just make it US compliant. So much better looking IMO.

omgitsmikeyc
08-31-2012, 01:13 AM
I'll second that. I think chevy's new design mantra is boring and not nearly edgy enough. Take a page from their own success, vette, Camaro, or even caddi's v cars. Stop with generic shapes! I'm pointing directly at the impalas and malibus of late.

omgitsmikeyc
11-29-2012, 02:38 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186tlhvf8z0fgjpg/original.jpg
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186tmgegsgbt6jpg/original.jpg
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186tmggfs3m8bjpg/original.jpg
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186tmgiepyei9jpg/original.jpg
Here is the Nascar Version just released, what do ya'll think? It's looking a hell of a lot like the Car and Driver illustration.

TonyGXP
11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
nascar 2 door??? they should just make it like the factory car and show the four doors like they do with touring cars in europe.

doesn't detract from the appeal (imo) ford's taurus, GM's cars, Dodge's Toyota, etc. so stupid.. who are they fooling?

omgitsmikeyc
11-30-2012, 05:52 AM
I'll second that opinion, if they are going to make a two door, why not just make it the Camaro, but in this case it might be just because they want to create hype on an upcoming model. Either way, after the first year of production, I am picking one up. I am hoping the new LT1 will motivate this to run mid 12's stock. Wishful thinking, but a realisitic idea given the new Buicks coming out. http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/grand-national-gnx-and-t-type-are-returning-to-buick.html They are claiming the new LT1 will be the motor for the GNX... If for one, why not the other right?

topher3134
12-26-2012, 09:04 AM

Wow don't hold back tell us how you really feel. Also I don't think it will be anything like my gxp. I am guessing it will have the lt1 and I bet it will have the ctsv trans. now price is what price is. I know it won't be cheap. But will it be pretty? I won't buy one if it looks like a malibu!

topher3134
12-26-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-chevrolet-ss-spy-photos-and-renderings-news
A new rendering by C&D- not in love with it but it could be worse...http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q2/458734/2014-chevrolet-ss-artists-rendering-photo-469221-s-520x318.jpghttp://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q2/458734/2014-chevrolet-ss-artists-rendering-photo-469220-s-520x318.jpg

This doesn't look bad. You notice they always put those boat anchor ss wheels on everything! I know they look great but they weigh a ton!

mtocrs1
12-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I think I will wait for the new Buicks. The problem with the new SS is that they will mainstream them to the point it will look like every other sedan on the road. They will also sell more stripped down rentals then anything. Just my opinion.

69Project
12-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Whats so different about it... looks like Chevy changed the front bumper. Otherwise it looks just like a G8.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/chevrolet-lumina-ss-based-on-the-holden-commodore_100390618_m.jpg

This is not the new SS. It's the last body style, VE. They sell that car in the Middle East as a Chevy. If you want to see parts/pieces of the new SS go to InsideGM News.com. They run articles on it so a search and you can see bits and pieces. I do not think it will set the world on fire with styling. Chevy isn't like that. If you want something edgy go get a Charger.

hawk584
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
" Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday! "

Blackpanther99
12-31-2012, 03:16 PM
As long as it has a V8 and RWD I dont care what it looks like to a point

Agreed

marc97taws6
12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
I just hope they price it decently for quality pieces.

That being said, for the price of a G8 GT, the cost savings would overcome the few G8 shortcomings

LSnights09
12-31-2012, 06:48 PM
I've seen several versions of the Chevy SS online. Some look even more badass than the current G8 body style, and others look like crap. I hope GM picks the more aggressive looking body. Getting rid of the AFM engines and strictly running with an LS3 would be nice too :)

omgitsmikeyc
02-09-2013, 02:14 PM
We are officially one week from the release of the 2014 SS Sedan at the Daytona 500 on February 16th, 2013 (and the Commodore for our Aussie friends). I'll post what I can find when it is released, I am very excited to learn more on this car. I think if it doesn't have the LT1, I may just buy a gently used GXP. Let the nail biting begin until release.

TriShield
02-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I sold my GXP a few months ago while the miles were still low and while the resale was still sky high, partially because of the Chevy version coming and what it's shaping up to be.

The Super Sport is taking a great thing and making it even better. I don't know if it will hurt G8 resale overall but if they do keep production low or if we only get them for one or two years anyone that buys one can be assured they will be worth some money.

omgitsmikeyc
02-11-2013, 07:24 PM
That was one of my reasons for waiting instead of just getting a GXP, is that the GXP's have kept so much value. I love them but the Chevy could pose an investment and can get it exactly how I want it built. I'd be crazy not to try the Chevy, as the GXP still is sky high in value considering Chargers, 300's and BMW sedans.

marc97taws6
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
That was one of my reasons for waiting instead of just getting a GXP, is that the GXP's have kept so much value. I love them but the Chevy could pose an investment and can get it exactly how I want it built. I'd be crazy not to try the Chevy, as the GXP still is sky high in value considering Chargers, 300's and BMW sedans.

This. I'd love a GXP, but one could easily have $10k for mods by buying a G8 GT. Call me crazy, but the differences between the GT and GXP don't warrant $10k to me

SpeedGrid
02-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Yes I cannot wait for it to be on sale after seeing it. If its going to basically look like the new Holden with a Chevy grill and emblem I am excited.

However,I really hope this car does not cost more than 30k at least in base form
offer a regular V8 version like the G8 GT and a GXP like version as the SS.
If its going to cost over 35k although a great car, it wont be to good because it will be to much.
In order to keep up with the charger which you can get an RT V8 for under 30k Chevy needs to be very competitive with the pricing.

marc97taws6
02-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Yes I cannot wait for it to be on sale after seeing it. If its going to basically look like the new Holden with a Chevy grill and emblem I am excited.

However,I really hope this car does not cost more than 30k at least in base form
offer a regular V8 version like the G8 GT and a GXP like version as the SS.
If its going to cost over 35k although a great car, it wont be to good because it will be to much.
In order to keep up with the charger which you can get an RT V8 for under 30k Chevy needs to be very competitive with the pricing.
It will likely cost $36-$37k being that it will come with an LS3 and be priced close to a new more options Charger R/T

TriShield
02-18-2013, 01:54 AM

The Super Sport is a continuation of the G8 GXP, there won't be a lower level or "base" car. The GXP (and Super Sport) are SRT8 level cars, not down with the R/T like the G8 GT was.

My 2009.5 GXP I purchased new had a 43k MSRP. I expect the Super Sport to be the same if not a little more given that four years of inflation as well as the massively improved interior and way more tech/features that the GXP should have had.

TriShield
02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Although official pricing will remain a secret until the Chevrolet SS goes on sale in the final quarter of 2013, Chevrolet chief engineer David Leone has suggested it will start as low as the mid-$40,000 range.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/americans-to-pay-10000-less-for-vf-commodore-20130216-2ejoa.html

So the MSRP will be higher than the G8 GXP, which should be expected given almost four years of inflation.

TriShield
02-18-2013, 12:49 PM
The 2013 Charger SRT8 starts at $45,990.

marc97taws6
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Damn, that is expensive

Z28 Autobot
02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
I thought I would ask here.

Is there a link or anything that could point me in the direction of whats new on the SS and whats a carryover from the GXP?

I know Zeta and engine are carried over but wondering what else was not touched on this new car. Just curious.

TriShield
02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
I know Zeta and engine are carried over but wondering what else was not touched on this new car. Just curious.

I'll try to keep it short.

The body between the A pillar and C pillar was not changed. The platform, suspension and all the hard points are exactly the same. The powertrain is entirely carried over.

For the refresh they restyled the front and rear of the car. The hood and trunk lids are now entirely aluminum instead of steel. The electrical system is entirely new and GM's latest global system instead replacing Holden's unique system. The entire interior is new and uses global GM black tie pieces we're familiar with here replacing Holden's own gear that was used before. The tire width is the same as the HSV cars from 2007-2012 but a slightly smaller diameter of 19" instead of 20", which is better for ride quality as well as grip.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
02-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Great info, TriShield. I love the inside scoop that you always bring to the table.

stereojnky
02-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Has anyone seen this yet? http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/ss-performance-sedan-debut.html?seo=goo_|_GM+Chevy+Awareness_|_GG-AWR-Chevy-Chevy+SS-BP-SN-Exact_|_Super+Sport+Chevy+Sedan_|_chevy%20ss

Z28 Autobot
02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
I'll try to keep it short.

The body between the A pillar and C pillar was not changed. The platform, suspension and all the hard points are exactly the same. The powertrain is entirely carried over.

For the refresh they restyled the front and rear of the car. The hood and trunk lids are now entirely aluminum instead of steel. The electrical system is entirely new and GM's latest global system instead replacing Holden's unique system. The entire interior is new and uses global GM black tie pieces we're familiar with here replacing Holden's own gear that was used before. The tire width is the same as the HSV cars from 2007-2012 but a slightly smaller diameter of 19" instead of 20", which is better for ride quality as well as grip.

Thanks TriShield. So the outside doors are the same.

Blackpanther99
02-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Anyhow we should be proud that GM is gonna continue these beast 4 door cars :D specially when it will be powered by a LS3 powerplant.

omgitsmikeyc
02-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Anyhow we should be proud that GM is gonna continue these beast 4 door cars :D specially when it will be powered by a LS3 powerplant.

I am moderately dissapointed, as going with the LS3 again IMHO is a mistake in this car. Secondly, the G8 looked better. Granted options wise it is loaded to the hilt and has a very nicely updated interior, I just don't see the screaming appeal like the G8 had with a subtle aggresiveness. The SS also does not offer a manual, and while this doesn't bother me as I like Stalled cars for daily driving, enthusiasts will not like this. This was supposed to be a specialty vehicle for performance. Not a well performing family sedan. I suppose the 2014/2015 Camaro update might fetch better appeal.

TriShield
02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
http://ls1tech.com/forums/automotive-news-media-press/1625528-chevrolet-el-camino-nomad-wagon-join-ss-sedan.html

Hmmm.

omgitsmikeyc
02-22-2013, 04:21 PM
That makes it all better, thank you! :cheers:

marc97taws6
02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
After looking at the SS and G8 pictures side by side, I am still much more attracted to the aggressive G8 looks.

If you can walk away from it in a parking lot without looking back at it, you bought the wrong car IMO

02LS1z
02-26-2013, 08:36 PM
its nice but to plain for me, ill keep the g8!