Thinking about moving to TX to attend SAM

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about moving to TX to attend SAM

I'm thinking about possibly moving to Houston to attend SAM for their CNC program. Anybody got any feedback on SAM and Houston that could help me out?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:10 AM
Launching!

I have not attended but plan to soon as my girlfriend finishes college may 2013 . Already went and passed test (easy). It is the best school for hands on / gear heads that want to be in the performance world hands down IMO.

Last edited by 2nasty; 08-03-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 AM
11 Second Club

It's humid as ***** I know that lol
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2nasty
I have not attended but plan to soon as my girlfriend finishes college may 2013 . Already went and passed test (easy). It is the best school for hands on / gear heads that want to be in the performance world hands down IMO.
As far as that test goes do you have to go there to take it or can you do it over the internet?

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
It's humid as ***** I know that lol
Ugh, I was wondering about that since I've taken the A/C off my Camaro. My Grand Cherokee still has A/C though so I guess I'll be good.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Launching!

IMHO the school is way over packed with students, However it was a good experience, Houston sucked, but i also enjoyed quite a few things about it. You will learn alot regardless.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

I am currently at the school and seriously, theres two other people in the room with me that also go there. It's a tight group and seriously a good program. I have not taken the cnc course yet, but everyone that takes it loves it. I work with a guy that's finishing it up. lmk if you have any questions.

by the way, you do not have to come to houston to take the test. You can go to any public library and have them proctor the test. And we dont have ac either. quit being a bitch. lol
Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
I am currently at the school and seriously, theres two other people in the room with me that also go there. It's a tight group and seriously a good program. I have not taken the cnc course yet, but everyone that takes it loves it. I work with a guy that's finishing it up. lmk if you have any questions.

by the way, you do not have to come to houston to take the test. You can go to any public library and have them proctor the test. And we dont have ac either. quit being a bitch. lol
Hey, hey, easy now, I just got my Grand Cherokee with A/C this year. I've had my Camaro and '89 Toyota pickup with no A/C since '08. Guess the GC has spoiled me. lol
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live a couple miles from SAM just down Westview. I have run into several people over the years who were going to SAM and spoke highly of it. Several of them have worked at the O'Reillys down Long Point. You could alwas work at the Advanced Auto Parts nearby too. They need some people who actually know something about cars.

Days like today will make you want A/C. People can hassle me all they want. It's just hot this time of year. The rest of the year is pretty decent though.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
I live a couple miles from SAM just down Westview. I have run into several people over the years who were going to SAM and spoke highly of it. Several of them have worked at the O'Reillys down Long Point. You could alwas work at the Advanced Auto Parts nearby too. They need some people who actually know something about cars.

Days like today will make you want A/C. People can hassle me all they want. It's just hot this time of year. The rest of the year is pretty decent though.
I'm a department manager at Lowe's now, I'd love to be able to transfer down there as one to keep my pay but I'm sure that's high hopes. I used to work at AutoZone when I was still part time at Lowe's. I can tell you its hard to find an employee at most of those auto parts store that has any idea what they're talking about.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked 94TA
I'm a department manager at Lowe's now, I'd love to be able to transfer down there as one to keep my pay but I'm sure that's high hopes. I used to work at AutoZone when I was still part time at Lowe's. I can tell you its hard to find an employee at most of those auto parts store that has any idea what they're talking about.

There are 2 Lowes nearby. The one on I10 just a bit west of SAM is nice. The one on 610 at Ella isn't bad either. I would prefer the I10 store if you had a choice.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

SAM is an excellent school and a great group of people. Even the students I've met from there are highly motivated and tend to be fun to hang with. There is no better school for performance engine building, especially if you are addicted to LSX stuff.

As for A/C cars, I grew up in Houston and didn't have a car with working A/C until my Sr year - in COLLEGE. Quit being pussies.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Do they have any good F-Body events in the area?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

the houston lsx scene is huge. you won't be disappointed
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

he'll just be reminded how slow his car is to all these *houston stock* automobiles.

I hope you take the risk and attend the school. I've seen it do wonders for people, it is what you make it!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

I talked to PJ from SAM today, looks like I'm going to aim for a late March start date. I'd like to get down there sooner but I've gotta fix my car and save some money up before I make that move.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Was curious on whats all involved in the cnc course