Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Switching from 853's to 317s, worth it?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Switching from 853's to 317s, worth it?

So im putting 317s on and was wondering how much ill pick up, if any? I say if any because im obviously going to drop my compression from stock to 9.5:1 and wasnt sure if that would offset the gain in airflow.

Im not turning up the boost (9-10psi) or adding more timing, its already at 18-19* . The car currently makes 600. the only tuning i plan on doing after the swap is if the AFR is off
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
So im putting 317s on and was wondering how much ill pick up, if any? I say if any because im obviously going to drop my compression from stock to 9.5:1 and wasnt sure if that would offset the gain in airflow.

Im not turning up the boost (9-10psi) or adding more timing, its already at 18-19* . The car currently makes 600. the only tuning i plan on doing after the swap is if the AFR is off

should gain. should make less boost. will be interesting to see. id do it. would not trust the stock head bolts. good luck. keep this thread updated.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
should gain. should make less boost. will be interesting to see. id do it. would not trust the stock head bolts. good luck. keep this thread updated.
yeah im really curious what the gain will be and how the car will feel with less compression.

there wont be less boost, ive got a controller on it so it will still make 9-10lbs. will do though, ill be back home in a week. ill post the results in my build thread and in here

i still want to hear some opinions though!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
yeah im really curious what the gain will be and how the car will feel with less compression.

there wont be less boost, ive got a controller on it so it will still make 9-10lbs. will do though, ill be back home in a week. ill post the results in my build thread and in here

i still want to hear some opinions though!
ok ok. seems like i remember you being blower. didnt read the sig. should make more power. if there is less restriction, i would think that the boost on the current controller setting would give a lower number.....so if you adjust it to go back up.....it should make more power. the slight loss in compression is not going to be that noticeable since that 78mm prob spools in no time. the rollers, and the track will tell!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
ok ok. seems like i remember you being blower. didnt read the sig. should make more power. if there is less restriction, i would think that the boost on the current controller setting would give a lower number.....so if you adjust it to go back up.....it should make more power. the slight loss in compression is not going to be that noticeable since that 78mm prob spools in no time. the rollers, and the track will tell!
no worries dude. even if i take the controller off and run it off the spring, it will make 9lbs regardless of what i do to the motor. I may take the controller off if it makes too much power. im hoping to close in on 650whp and hopefully not go over.

its fully spooled by 3600-3700rpm so hopefully it doesnt take any longer.

i wish i wouldve had a chance to take it to the track before putting these on but pushing water kinda stopped that..
Old 08-04-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

at the same boost level and timing i would bet the lower compression and better flow would be a wash.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
at the same boost level and timing i would bet the lower compression and better flow would be a wash.
thats what im worried about. think ill lose power?

Search this Thread