Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i buy this camaro? could this be a blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy this camaro? could this be a blown headgasket?

Hey guys,

I've been in the market for an LS1 cCamaro for a while. I came acorss a 2002 one with 80k miles with bolt ons. I went for a test drive and at the end of the first one coolant started leaking everywhere. After he hosed the radiator down and put some water in the coolant ta k we went on another drive. This time it didn't overheat. The power steering had a leak in it so he put some ps fluid in and it worked fine. However, after driving it the third time white smoke came in through the vents. He claimed it was the leaking pump getting the fluid on the header, which sounds probable. The last part of the drive is when he left, white smoke came out of the back.

The exterior is very clean and I really liked the car l. Should I just stay away from this thing?

Mods that I know of:
slp full exhaust
cams
arp heads (looks like there was a bit of leaking around them)
Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mlaw92
Hey guys,

I've been in the market for an LS1 cCamaro for a while. I came acorss a 2002 one with 80k miles with bolt ons. I went for a test drive and at the end of the first one coolant started leaking everywhere. After he hosed the radiator down and put some water in the coolant ta k we went on another drive. This time it didn't overheat. The power steering had a leak in it so he put some ps fluid in and it worked fine. However, after driving it the third time white smoke came in through the vents. He claimed it was the leaking pump getting the fluid on the header, which sounds probable. The last part of the drive is when he left, white smoke came out of the back.

The exterior is very clean and I really liked the car l. Should I just stay away from this thing?

Mods that I know of:
slp full exhaust
cams
I hope it only has ONE cam.

ARP Doesn't make heads.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I'd be a little hesitant depending on price. Before I bought it I would have it taken to a local shop and checked out completely, then depending on what they find negotiate from there. There are plenty of these cars out there so take your time and find the right one for you.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mlaw92
Hey guys,

Mods that I know of:
slp full exhaust
cams
If the smoke is coming from on the exhaust, it very well could be a blown head... but it could also be run off from what sounds like either a bad water pump/seal, broken hose, or thermostat. If the white smoke is from inside the exhaust, then start checking the the oil for suds/foam looking stuff in the oil. That's a tell tale sign. Secondly, power steering leaks can also cause said white smoke if it's hitting the headers/exhaust. Not a horrible fix, but a fix none the less. Personally, find some where you can put it on a jack, and inspect while it's running to see exactly where the leaks are.... keep in mind watch for hot water spatter, or wait until cool to start up before you burn yourself.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

is the car priced accordingly for a major engine issue? and he filled up the car with water from the hose? you prob should just stay away from it
Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All this wrong in one test drive? It sounds like you don't know nearly enuf to be buying a car to fix in the first place. Unless it's damn cheap stay away from it.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
All this wrong in one test drive? It sounds like you don't know nearly enuf to be buying a car to fix in the first place. Unless it's damn cheap stay away from it.

I wouldn't buy it even if it was cheap though. Sounds like you are buying a huge headache. Keep looking around. You will be able to find one without all these issues for a good price.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

arp heads? im confused
Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay far away! There are plenty of camaros out there that haven't been beat up...unless the asking price is under 3k I wouldn't consider it
Old 08-06-2012, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Try nd see if u can get it for a good price ,power steering could be te rack and pinion ,a line, coolant well if radiator is not damaged might. Just be the cap...lowball him and point out the faults if u get it for a good price go for it
Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing these problems arose on the test drive, not AFTER you bought it. Take the car to a trusted mechanic PRIOR to purchase. The $$ spent on a detailed report could save thousands. Or, look elsewhere and compare, as was already suggested
Heck, it could be stupid, small stuff on a 10 year old car, but unless you know what is wrong with the car, don't chance it.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinR

I wouldn't buy it even if it was cheap though. Sounds like you are buying a huge headache. Keep looking around. You will be able to find one without all these issues for a good price.
seems like what I said worded slightly different....
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

1) you seem very new at even how engines work

2) this car seems like it has a lot of troubles

Putting those two points together, I would not be buying this vehicle. It will lead to more headaches and money spent than just buying a well running car.

This seems like a good project for someone mechanically inclined and with skills to be able to perform the job easily. Not everyone is a good mechanic, so I say leave this project car to someone else and look for one that is more suited to your mechanical skills. Eventually you will learn all this stuff yourself as many of us have, but now is not really the time for a project (unless you want to learn on a busted car).
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Don't walk away from it .... run away from it!

Quick Reply: should i buy this camaro? could this be a blown headgasket?