Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noisy Torsen guys in here! :)

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Torsen guys in here! :)

Just thought I'd share my experience dealing with the Torsen rusty screw noise.

I wanted to upgrade the rear brakes and do a gear swap on my LT1 Camaro (with Auburn posi), I was offered a cheap LS1 rear end (Torsen) which I purchased. I stuck some Motive 4.10's in and bolted it all up and did a 1000 mile break in using Comma 75w90 part synthetic oil.
I soon became familiar with the rusty screw sound
I had it bad, it would pop, bang and moan while reversing into spaces in parking lots and just moan in general in tight turns. People would turn around and look at me with pity lol!

I knew it was just the worm gear teeth gripping and releasing harmlessly but there was no way I'd be able to sell the car in the future with that going on - I can't see anyway of explaining that noise to a noob as being harmless and that you just have to put up with it, surely they'd just walk away.

Anyway, after reading up around the forums I decided to change the oil to some Comma 85w140 full mineral and brought myself a little 50g tube of Molybdenum Disulphide from a company called Liqui Moly and squirted most of that in.
The noise is completely gone!
So yeah I thought I'd report back to you guys if you're having the same problem I did. The Moly tube states not to be used with self-locking diffs but I had to do something and all seems well with it so far.

Has anyone else used Liqui Moly before and have anything to say about it?

Last edited by CamaroUK; 08-06-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: I thought of more stuff to write :P
Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the warning was for a clutch type LSD like an auburn. Never heard of using it in a diff, but there's plenty I don't know. I can't imagine it posing any problem to a torsen though.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue! I just ordered it! I will report back after I try it.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The no use in locking diff is referring to the clutch style as our torsen does not lock. :-) If used in a clutch style, it would mess with the coefficient of friction which is bad m'kay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noisy Torsen guys in here! :)