Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first mod!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first mod!

Well, i ordered my lid on Wednesday and got it on Friday. Today it was installed. I'm not to good with cars yet, so i had a little help. CM02WS6, pretty much did all the work with me doing little things here and there. Took us like 20 minutes, had no problems at all. I guess you could say the bug has hit me. Next on my list are Kooks LT's and ORY. I say i am waiting until the summer to do it, but i keep getting the idea to order them sooner. Heading to the track Tuesday to see what i can do. Probably won't be too good, but i have to learn sooner or later. Thanks again Chris. Your WS6
Old 04-04-2004, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats man. Let the modding begin.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WTB-a-Hawk
Well, i ordered my lid on Wednesday and got it on Friday. Today it was installed. I'm not to good with cars yet, so i had a little help. CM02WS6, pretty much did all the work with me doing little things here and there. Took us like 20 minutes, had no problems at all. I guess you could say the bug has hit me. Next on my list are Kooks LT's and ORY. I say i am waiting until the summer to do it, but i keep getting the idea to order them sooner. Heading to the track Tuesday to see what i can do. Probably won't be too good, but i have to learn sooner or later. Thanks again Chris. Your WS6
Congratulations on your first mod you just could'nt resist the urge to add something, right? Don't worry; it happens to all of us. I too just recently had a tickle in my butt for some new headers and just ordered some last week.. should get them soon.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Once the bug and disease hits, it is an addiction to getting the next mod, then the next, then the next, etc. Good luck at the track. Cheers..........
Old 04-04-2004, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

it never ends once the modding starts...
Old 04-04-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate the mod bug , but my car seems to love it.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WTB-a-Hawk
Congradulations! "I'm not to good with cars yet, so i had a little help. CM02WS6, pretty much did all the work with me doing little things here and there." Don't worry about this; although you will catch some flack from certain guys about not doing your own work....I look at it this way, hey if I am not absolutely confident in my ability to install something I sure am not going to risk it by myself, especially if the investment is expensive, like H/C, motor, or blower/turbo. I had Rapid Motorsports do my H/C, clutch, and 12 bolt...sure I have the tools but what if I forgot something then I take the risk of damaging my EXPENSIVE parts. If the knowledgable/experienced labor is affordable then it's a no brainer for me. I got A LOT of crap for having all the work done for me....people saying that I am not a hot rodder because I didn't do the work myself and I paid for it to be installed! Well, I spent A LOT of hard earned money and if anything went wrong it was on Rapid's hands not mine. Funny....one of the guys who ripped on me rebuilt his own 3rd gen IROC 5.7TPI motor and about 2 months later it crapped out on him, HA HA, now who's laughing!
Good luck...hang out with your buddy while he is helping with the installs and you will become more and more confident in your own abilities!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

I had'nt messed with cars too much until I got the Z. Pretty much all I did was the scheduled maintenance. I was turned on to this post and it really helps me out; these people know there stuff! I bought the car and was content with just making it sound better, but not anymore. This **** is a blast! Have fun!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Hahaha, I was such a newb I even made a post double checking where the oil drain plug was

I caught some **** from some of the guys, but hey you gotta start somewhere and someone was nice enough to tell me I was unscrewing the correct bolt.

Anyhow the day I changed my oil was the same day I installed headers, spark plugs, and a few months before I installed a catback.

I've come to learn its all pretty damn easy to swap stuff in and out, you just need a good write up and sometimes a friend and your set. Don't feel stupid posting on this board if you don't understand something, these guys are pretty hardcore and could lay the smack down on some pretty stupid questions, but you usually get an answer, and its always the right one

LS1Tech
Old 04-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Told ya so! If you keep hanging around here, you'll want to get even more stuff for your car! Hell, when I got mine a year and a half ago, I was just looking for a little info. Then I got the lid and some small suspension stuff. Then I said I wanted to have my car paid off before I went taking off parts that I don't even own yet. Now I've got a small pile of parts, a big pile of wheels, and bigger plans in the works!

Thanks for the compliment Your car will definately be getting up there soon! See ya tomorrow,
Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99MONGOOSE
Don't worry about this; although you will catch some flack from certain guys about not doing your own work....
damn straight you're gonna get flack.
and here's some right now=
you had a friend install a lid?
did you even look at the instructions first?
that must be the easiest mod to do under the "mobil1 oil cap mod"
i hope you watched what he was doing,
and can now swap your lid blindfolded.

next time ask around here when planning to do a mod.
plenty of people here can link you instructions w/ pics
and give pointers on common problems.
best to get the confidence and familiarity now,
so you wont have to pay big $$$ later with things like headers
Old 04-07-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stone0fFire
I don't know, !cags is pretty easy too I think those are the easiest mods.....Anything else? Maybe remove baffles on WS6 hood
Old 04-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Launching!

No, I HELPED him install the lid. He knew everything that we did, including reading all of the instructions, pics, etc. He knew where the trouble was, and I showed him how to deal with it. Asking on the internet is great, but I doubt you'll get many people 10 mintues away to let you use their tools because you haven't had time to buy them since coming home from being deployed in the Air Force.

Here's two things I like about this website: people don't comment on things they don't know about, and people don't rag on newbies who aren't totally confident in what they are doing. Go to the other site for that.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Thanks Chris, and no i didn't just take my car to his house and say, "here install my lid". I've read over the installuniversity webpage, but i'm not too familiar with cars yet and i just met CM02WS6 right before i bought my lid, and when we did install the lid, it was more like "if you want, you can come over and i could help you install your lid" Ofcourse i won't decline his offer, he is someone who knows a hell of lot more about these cars then i do and is one hell of a nice guy. Also the chance to meet someone who owns an LS1 and shares the same enthusiasm about them as i do is cool. I planned on doing it myself, and i'm sure i could have. It may have taken me a hell of alot longer, but it would have been completed. You are right though about getting the confidence and such though for the future, but you got the wrong idea on how this install really went down.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Durien
it never ends once the modding starts...
This is so ture I love it Congrats man
Old 04-08-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cm02WS6
Asking on the internet is great, but I doubt you'll get many people 10 mintues away to let you use their tools because you haven't had time to buy them since coming home from being deployed in the Air Force.

Here's two things I like about this website: people don't comment on things they don't know about, and people don't rag on newbies who aren't totally confident in what they are doing. Go to the other site for that.
hey hey, buddy..
i didnt know he didnt have tools!
but really.. what tools do you need for a lid?
isnt a screwdriver the only thing needed?
in any case,
dont take my criticism too serious.
its mostly truth spiked with humor.
think of it as "encouragement"
i got the same flack when i let my ricer friend put a sock over the throttle body and stuck the iat plug in the sock.
granted, its a totally different scenario,
but the learning process is a fun thing altogether.
its not like i wouldnt help if he asked me.

congrats on the beginning of a long process,
its a good thing you seem to have friends that are more knowledgable than my ricer friends =)
Old 04-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Chop-Foo Director

How true. You know, in the end, modding is just turning a wrench!
I helped a buddy with his rear end swap a couple weeks ago. Never
in my life would I have thought something like that would be so easy!

It's all just turning wrenches!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Welcome to hell. We've been expecting you.

Seriously, it's always good to get familiar with your car. I'm in the process of learning now, since I got tired of paying mechanics to do stuff I knew I could learn to do myself. After shelling out $700+ for a new water pump at the dealer last year, I knew the time had come to fix stuff myself.

-Mike
Old 04-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Talking We all learn

You know we all started at some point. But the point is that he wants and is going to do on his car Great job just keep it up.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey man, at least you give credit when someone helps you with something! I've got a friend who will sit and watch the entire process (almost) and then tell everyone that he did it himself, and how it was so easy and that anyone could do it just don't turn into one of those guys and you'll be fine. By the way good luck modding your car and you definetly picked the best site for help in doing so