Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best way to remove paint from intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best way to remove paint from intake manifold?

Like the title states, whats the best way to remove paint from an LS6 intake manifold?

When it bought my car, it was already painted (not well) and now it looks TERRIBLE! Im guessing sanding is probably my best bet, or is there something else that can safely strip the paint off?

Im not afraid to put in the work, Ive also worked in a body shop, so I know how to make it look good, but my problem is that its my daily driver so it cant be down too long.

-Dave
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solvent? Something safe for plastics to get the majority off and out of the nooks and crannies.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smooth it and paint it, looks way better imo than a stock textured intake. My LS6 intake was painted a dull silver and was not smooth, I smoothed it and painted it before I put it on, it was well worth the effort.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dupli color sells a paint stripper. You just spray it on. Never used it or heard of anyone who had. Might be worth looking into??
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Brake fluid will eat paint & not plastic, so will Dad's easy spray paint remover from ace hardware, which washes off with water.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive used aircraft remover on my wheels before, and it rinsed off with water but my biggest concern is that it wont disolve my intake with the paint lol.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aircraft paint remover comes in a metal can. Brake fluid comes in a plastic bottle. Dad's easy spray has a plastic spray bottle to apply with.
Hmmmmmmmmmm?? Get the hint? (Which is based on experience). I used Dad's easy spray to remove interior spray paint from my abs plastic parts. If it did't hurt abs plastic, it definitely shouldn't bother nylon 66. I,d remove the intake to not drip paint remover on anything else. May want to do a proper paint job on it after you remove the other.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
Brake fluid will eat paint & not plastic, so will Dad's easy spray paint remover from ace hardware, which washes off with water.
Brake fluid FTW, spray some on and and and , just wait and the fluid will take it off. I did it on an LS6 intake on my previous T/A.

Quick Reply: Best way to remove paint from intake manifold?