Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

double din install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default double din install question

I have a friend who can get really good deals on double din radios I asked him if he can get one for my 2001 camaro. When he got back to me he told me that I needed an "installation kit" which is $400 to keep the "two bcms" from killing each other because the radio communicates to them. Anyways I dont know how much of that is true the guy may not know what he is talking about I know I only have 1 Bcm in the car.

But I guess my question is What do I need to do a Double din install on my car?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Your friend is completely wrong. As you know, there is only one BCM in a 4th generation f-body. In addition, the BCM has absolutely nothing to do with the radio other than providing the retained accessory power (keeps the radio on after turning off the ignition until a door is opened).

Newer GM models that come with double DIN as standard equipment have various other system functions embedded in the head unit such as the alarm, warning chimes, and sometimes even the heating and A/C control. But our cars have none of that.

Do a search in this forum for "double DIN" and you will get plenty of information. The only thing you need that's different from a normal aftermarket HU installation is a modified trim bezel to go around the larger display.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

WhiteBird00 is right.

Here is how I installed a Double-Din in my 2001 Formula:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...installed.html
Old 08-08-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only thing you really need is a double din receiver and a bezel that is modified or cut to fit. You can buy one, or make one...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a double din in my 2002 Ss and all I used was a $10 wire harness, $2 dollor antenna adaptor,and I made my own double din bezel. (optional) I also got a steering wheel interface module that allows me to use the stock buttons on the steering wheel to control my pioneer double din. Works great. But u can buy a double din bezel on here for $100 I've seen them before. So maybe 150 on parts max for everything or just $50 if u make your own bezel.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything you will need we have for you
http://shop.doubledmods.com/Camaro-D...97-02_c603.htm
Including install tech support

Just call me if you have questions
Dennis

Quick Reply: double din install question