LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1996 Impala SS - sitting for 8 years-we have fuel & spark but won't start; thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1996 Impala SS - sitting for 8 years-we have fuel & spark but won't start; thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

I am picking up a 1996 Impala SS next weekend from one of my best friends. It was basically bought new by him, in 1996 (it had a few thousand on it; now it has a bit over 100k). In his ownership time frame he did all the boltons plus the 845 cam. The thing ran MINT, put down solid numbers, and ran solid track times. Every winter he stored it in a climate controlled garage. After one winter, probably 6+ years ago, he went to start it and it wouldn't start. He thinks it is either the battery or opti, and keeps saying 'it had no spark' as the reason. And there it has sat for 6+ years with no attention paid to it.

So I will be doing the obvious things - replace all fluids, replace the battery, probably replace the tires (close to the end of their lives anyways), etc.

What I am hoping for are some ideas as to what could have caused it to die in storage over that first winter, and any other ideas on what I should consider checking/replacing/etc. I am hoping that it is simply the battery.

Thanks!
Brian

Last edited by sleeperZ96BT; 09-15-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a new battery in and take it from there as far as troubleshooting. Beware, my old LT1 blew a head gasket within 100 miles of driving it after it sat for 2 1/2 years; gaskets and seals do dry up and deteriorate over time especially in a motor that isn't run.....I would get a AAA membership if you don' t have one already to be safe lol...100 miles free towing has come in handy before.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

LOL - I will be getting it from storage to my buddies with AAA Plus.

If the head gaskets do pop - I have a set of LPE heads ready to go in!

Hopefully nothing happens though; didn't price replacing seals or gaskets into this, BUT, at least in the Impala you can take a nap in the engine bay there's so much room.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Clean and update ENTIRE fuel system from injectors to tank.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Clean and update ENTIRE fuel system from injectors to tank.
Can you give me some more details on what this takes? I was planning on getting the gas out of the tank for sure.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Any other thoughts or ideas?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Come on folks, one week away and I want to have as much as I can to work on when I get her, specifically would be interested in what I can do to the fuel system as I had not considered that.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a Camaro that sat in storage for 6-7 years. I ultimately replaced all fluids, fuel filter, fuel pump(twice), fuel pump sending unit, fuel tank, fuel injectors, opti, plugs, wires, MAF, water pump, opti seal, water pump seal, oil pressure sending unit, intake manifold gaskets, intake & elbow, O2 sensors, starter, and a host of other stuff I probably can't remember. I also did headers and catback.

My fuel tank was in really bad shape, which may have been a contributing factor in the first pump replacment failure. When I got it out of storage, the original fuel pump was seized up. I replaced it with an aftermarket pump from Autozone or Advance, which was probably a mistake, and I should have taken a closer look at the tank during the process of replacing the original pump.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperZ96BT
Come on folks, one week away and I want to have as much as I can to work on when I get her, specifically would be interested in what I can do to the fuel system as I had not considered that.
Pull a plug and see if it fires. If it does continue on to the fuel system.
Depending on how much fuel is in the the tank, it may need drained. The most likely problem from sitting is frozen,gummed injectors. With some fresh gas and the oil changed I would try and start it. You can then check the fuel pressure and the injectors with a noid light. If you have fuel pressure and power to the injector try spraying alittle starting fluid in the throttle body. If it fires the injectors are stuck and will need cleaned or replaced. My car, engine and trans sat for 5 years when I bought it and I went through the same proceedure, resulting in cleaning the injectors.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

****, I'm in the same boat right now. My hoe has been sitting off and on for the last 5-6 years now, so it looks like I'm in for a total redo of the fuel system too
Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

drop tank, empty & clean. disconnect fuel lines at rail on one end and use air hose at tank end to push the old fuel out into a container

you may get lucky on the injectors themselves or you could just send them to a place like cruzinperformance.com for cleaning

fuell pump may be ok if the old fuel did not clog it, replace fuel filter

spark???, the opti could have died 6+ years ago or rotor screws came out causing rotor to spin. you will have to trouble shoot after you clean the fuel system

we assume something like stabil was not put in the fuel system before 6+ years of storage...but even so 6+ years is a long time for fuel to just sit in tank, lines & injectors
Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

My fuel tank was full of rust after 6+ years in storage, and my fuel pump and sending unit were dead. We didn't drop the tank completely to replace the pump, but if the pump needs to be replaced, I would highly recommend dropping the tank completely and checking it out.

My fuel pump relay was also dead.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Might want to prime the oil pump before you try to fire it up. My car sat for 3 or 4 years with a bad trans before I got it but at least the guy started it up occasionally (so he said). After I fixed the trans, new opti, water pump, all hoses and vac lines, belt, and fixed the a/c (seals in compressor were leaking) I haven't had any problems for a few thousand miles.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone - appreciate the responses, especially on the fueling. The optimist says it's just a new battery, the realist knows that there's no way to know what I am going to uncover!

Brian
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Post some pictures of it!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if it takes a ton of work, it's worth it. Those cars are sharp rides and getting harder to find.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

I will post some pics hopefully this weekend......maybe I will do one of those threads that gets slowed down by an excessive amount of pictures of every little detail

Quick question - I am trying to figure out what quantities and type of fluids to get. I want to do 2, maybe 3 oil changes within the first 500-1000 miles, change the trans fluid, change the diff fluid, change the coolant, etc. and am trying to figure out in the next day or two what quantities I need. Anyone know or know a source to get the specs?

Last edited by sleeperZ96BT; 08-13-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added in a question about fluid capacities
Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

you guys were a lot more picky than me.

Id be the guy that throws some fresh fuel/oil in it and trys to start it. Get the oil nice and hot and then drain it all out and put some new oil in. Then drive it.

Id love to see pics, love a Impala SS.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

I'm hopeful it's nothing major......if it is, so be it; the car is worth it.

Any help on fluid specs? Most I find are basically the actual motor and trans specs, not the quantities of each.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

You can probably search Ebay for some factory service manuals. I bought some for my Camaro, and I think they are well worth the money if you intend on keeping the car.

Actually, I did the work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-96-IMPA...ab1890&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: 1996 Impala SS - sitting for 8 years-we have fuel & spark but won't start; thoughts?