Sponsored by:

Help with 243 Head install on c5

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 243 Head install on c5

Hello Everyone,

My name is Wes. I am new to LS1's I have a 500whp turbo Stang. But I have been very lucky to have been given a 2001 corvette by my boss as a bonus. Its only has 21k on it.

I love this car and I love the low end snappiness of the LS1. So I recently received a nice set of 243 heads with dual PRC valve springs for some computer and website work I did. I read a lot on here and ready your Sticky’s. So my question is to you. What do I need to install these heads? I know head gaskets is a given. I don’t know if I need rockers and push rods, if I should do normal head bolts or ARP head studs? I also was wondering what Cam I should buy? I have an auto and I don’t want to change out the convertor. This is 98% street car but I would love to make some more power. I love the snappy low end torque it has now so I don’t want to lose that while making as much top end as possible, if I could even gain more low end that would be cool if that makes sense? I have great tuners by me, I will get it tuned afterwards. I wanted your advice on what else I need to do the install, and what Cam to buy. If you sell any of these items, let me know I would buy from you. Just quote me on a whole package with Cam.

Thanks in advance on any help or in-sight.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VetteVert
Hello Everyone,

My name is Wes. I am new to LS1's I have a 500whp turbo Stang. But I have been very lucky to have been given a 2001 corvette by my boss as a bonus. Its only has 21k on it.

I love this car and I love the low end snappiness of the LS1. So I recently received a nice set of 243 heads with dual PRC valve springs for some computer and website work I did. I read a lot on here and ready your Sticky’s. So my question is to you. What do I need to install these heads? I know head gaskets is a given. I don’t know if I need rockers and push rods, if I should do normal head bolts or ARP head studs? I also was wondering what Cam I should buy? I have an auto and I don’t want to change out the convertor. This is 98% street car but I would love to make some more power. I love the snappy low end torque it has now so I don’t want to lose that while making as much top end as possible, if I could even gain more low end that would be cool if that makes sense? I have great tuners by me, I will get it tuned afterwards. I wanted your advice on what else I need to do the install, and what Cam to buy. If you sell any of these items, let me know I would buy from you. Just quote me on a whole package with Cam.

Thanks in advance on any help or in-sight.
I would like to talk to you more about your Corvette and what your future intentions are to put you with the best cam for YOU! Sending PM now!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I would like to talk to your boss to see if he has any more openings.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

wish i could get a vette as a bonus lol congratz on the bonus, treat it well, its definitly better then any money bonus you could get... other then more then the value of that vette lol
I think the army should do somthing like that. instead of a monetary reenlistment bonus, id take a vette lol
definitly talk to our sponsors on here. they wont steer you wrong. most importantly, have fun with that car.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I don't think it's worth your time to put those heads on unless u put in a cam in there as well. Why go through all that labor, gaskets, bolts, fluids cost to gain 10-12 hp at best. Save up and get a cam in there LG G5x1 and a LS6 manifold + those 243 will be worth it.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboyq
I don't think it's worth your time to put those heads on unless u put in a cam in there as well. Why go through all that labor, gaskets, bolts, fluids cost to gain 10-12 hp at best. Save up and get a cam in there LG G5x1 and a LS6 manifold + those 243 will be worth it.
well the only fluids he is really gonna waste are antifreeze and oil both of which should always be replaced on a used car when first bought imo... also the heads will be worth more than that a set of ls6 heads on a stock motor are good for 15-20 hp whereas these are stage 2 ported ls6 heads... especially if he got them for nothing then why not. if the op wants to do a cam later on then id replace the lifters that way later on he can just swap the cam he wouldnt even need to touch the heads
Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get some harden pushrods
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I will take great car of her. Its a great car.

Please read my whole post, but I can also see I am not clear. I am going to do a cam. I ask above what's the best cam to buy with the requirements I have above.

Thanks again everyone. This is a great site.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would recommend you look into the 224R cam on a 114 LSA. This cam will work well with the stock converter and deliver a very broad powerband. It should have no problem keeping the low end power, if not creating more then you had before. You will at least need new head bolts and gaskets for the head swap. Stock stuff would work just fine for this kind of swap. We offer a full heads/cam bolt and gasket kit for $160 all GM replacement parts.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
I would recommend you look into the 224R cam on a 114 LSA. This cam will work well with the stock converter and deliver a very broad powerband. It should have no problem keeping the low end power, if not creating more then you had before. You will at least need new head bolts and gaskets for the head swap. Stock stuff would work just fine for this kind of swap. We offer a full heads/cam bolt and gasket kit for $160 all GM replacement parts.
gaining some low end and still having a broad power band, would be great!! Do you sell or make a cam a could buy? If so PM maybe we can put together a package. Would I benafit from doing anything to the heads ahead of time? Like shaving them, or porting them? I am not against putting like 2-300 into the heads if it would have a large enough benefit.

Thanks again. Man I can't wait to get these on my vette. One guy at works thinks I could run a low 12, high 11 with these heads and mild cam. He said it wakes the vettes/ls1 up alot. My vette rolls pretty good the way it sits.

Last edited by 01VetteVert; 08-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Teching In

gaining some low end and still having a broad power band, would be great!! Do you sell or make a cam a could buy? If so PM maybe we can put together a package. Would I benafit from doing anything to the heads ahead of time? Like shaving them, or porting them? I am not against putting like 2-300 into the heads if it would have a large enough benefit.

Thanks again. Man I can't wait to get these on my vette. One guy at works thinks I could run a low 12, high 11 with these heads and mild cam. He said it wakes the vettes/ls1 up alot. That would be a fun street car. I am probably going to do a pulley if anyone has one thy want to sell.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider the cam kit from TSP mentioned above or look at a thunder racing tr224 cam pkg at 114lsa.look at the TSP cam/head install kit.the stock GM head bolts are toque to yield (TTY).you will need a torque angle gauge from snap on to do the stock head bolts ,unless you get ARP head bolts which can be installed with a torque wrench.use the stock rockers .get a mail order tune from Frost.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
consider the cam kit from TSP mentioned above or look at a thunder racing tr224 cam pkg at 114lsa.look at the TSP cam/head install kit.the stock GM head bolts are toque to yield (TTY).you will need a torque angle gauge from snap on to do the stock head bolts ,unless you get ARP head bolts which can be installed with a torque wrench.use the stock rockers .get a mail order tune from Frost.
Thanks for the info. Who is Frost? I have an ecs mail tune now. I only live about hour from them. I might have them tune it, but their real tunes are expensive. Maybe I will look at frost if he can mail order tune cam car well? I was always told anything past a intake and like cat back get a dyno or street tune?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what you heard is true a mail order tune will make the car drive.... will it make it drive well or get the max effort out of it? Hell no lol. Not that Frost is a bad tuner its just that every car is different when its modded like that sorry to say but your best bet is coughing up the 400 for a dyno tune.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

A converter and gear change to 3.42 would wake the car up a bunch. especially if it has the 2.73 in it now.
For cam, stay below 224 intake duration with a stock converter, and keep lobe sep at 114/115. Lift below .600. You have the LS6 intake already. Add headers. With a converter, you can go a little bigger on the cam.
Heads with a small cam only won't get you into the high 11's. That is a big jump from what is probably a mid 13 second car now.

Are you doing the work yourself?

I know because I have an A4 C5.

Ron
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Since you already have springs all you need is the cam and some pushrods. We sell the cams for 389.99 and the pushrods for 110 a set. If you can you might look to try and have the head milled a little. These motors can run up to 11.5:1 on pump gas, a little extra compression will help with more low end power and throttle response.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
A converter and gear change to 3.42 would wake the car up a bunch. especially if it has the 2.73 in it now.
For cam, stay below 224 intake duration with a stock converter, and keep lobe sep at 114/115. Lift below .600. You have the LS6 intake already. Add headers. With a converter, you can go a little bigger on the cam.
Heads with a small cam only won't get you into the high 11's. That is a big jump from what is probably a mid 13 second car now.

Are you doing the work yourself?

I know because I have an A4 C5.

Ron
My car has the upgraded 3:15 from the factory. So I won’t change convertor or the gears any times soon. I am only modding this cars past what I have now because I basically got these heads free, I would be a fool not to add these to my car. I just don’t have the Money to do anything "extra" Just what is needed to get these heads and CAM in. I mean I will do things that make sense for safety and reliability, this is a great car with only 21K and I want to do it right, I am just not going to spend money to go all out and pull every last hp out of it if that makes sense? Plus after I drive my 512whp turbo Mustang, this car feels a little slow. I dont like saying my vette feels slow, that just shouldnt be said.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Since you already have springs all you need is the cam and some pushrods. We sell the cams for 389.99 and the pushrods for 110 a set. If you can you might look to try and have the head milled a little. These motors can run up to 11.5:1 on pump gas, a little extra compression will help with more low end power and throttle response.
I have had a couple people suggest Milling these heads. So I will. How much you suggest I mill them? I have 93 octane here, and I have lots of Torco race gas additive. I use in my turbo car. So I will drop a little of that in there if need be. With whatever milling you suggest what size push rods should I get? I will pick them up and the cam you sell to I think.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01VetteVert
I have had a couple people suggest Milling these heads. So I will. How much you suggest I mill them? I have 93 octane here, and I have lots of Torco race gas additive. I use in my turbo car. So I will drop a little of that in there if need be. With whatever milling you suggest what size push rods should I get? I will pick them up and the cam you sell to I think.
With that said. What do you guy’s suggest? I know guys who know good machine guys in the area, or do you guys know a kick A#@ person I can ship the heads to? I get UPS shipping for free . So if you know someone good and cheap, let me know. I will ship. Oh I live in PA
Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

You can safely mill the heads up to .030 for that cam. You could probably go farther but that is the farthest I would go just to be safe on piston to valve clearance. I don't know of anyone up in that area that does porting but if you get shipping for free we do port 243/799 castings all day. We charge $750 for a cnc port, 5-angle cnc valve job, and milling. As far as pushrod length goes it would really be best to measure once we bring the variable of the milling in there. Most likely it needs to go a tad shorter, but measuring is always best.

Quick Reply: Help with 243 Head install on c5