Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best DD Suspension Set-Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best DD Suspension Set-Up

Hey everybody. I have a V6 Firebird with 19"x10" C6 wheels and AGX shocks and Eibach lowering springs. I also have Founder's adj panhard bar, lower rel brackets and control arms. I know there is alot of unsprung weight with wheels that big, but the car rides like crap. Just a very harsh ride over any bump in the road. I just want to get everybody's opinion for the most comfortable ride with a lowered car.

Like I said its just a DD, no track use just looking for something that gives the smoothest ride possible.

I am planning on Bilstein HD or SLP Bilsteins and hopefully this will make a big enough difference, but I just wanted to get some of your opinions before i spend the money. I was hopeing to get Sam Strano on here and see what he recommends.

Also I'm not completely sold on getting new spring if that would really help with a different spring rate. Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want smooth i would recommend putting the stock springs back in. I have read the eibach ride terrible and sag over time. How many miles are on the shocks?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd ditch the eibachs. I had the pro kit and it was rough. Switched to stranos and they're better. Still is rougher than stock but they ride nice for lowering springs.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

My opinion. Stock everything, Stock springs, Bilstien shocks, 32mm front swaybar, 17 inch diameter wheels and good treadwear rated summer tires like a Nitto 555 street tire
Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by z28bryan
My opinion. Stock everything, Stock springs, Bilstien shocks, 32mm front swaybar, 17 inch diameter wheels and good treadwear rated summer tires like a Nitto 555 street tire
This...you want smooth? Don't modify your car. Otherwise, live with the consequences.

You might be able to make it somewhat tolerable, but you'll be looking at Konis to do it. You can only do so much with a lowered car to make it ride nice due to the limited shock travel.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also have a V6 and I run 19` wheels too.. You can see my suspension mods in my sig and I dont think my car rides bad , its not the most comfortable car in bad roads but the ride is nice , handling is pretty good etc.

Bilsteins were my second choice and I was told they`d actually ride better then the Koni`s but I wanted more handling over ride comfort which is why I went with the Koni`s.

Get a set of Bilstein shocks and stock springs if you want a good ride..
If youre dead set on lowering the car , grab a set of Koni`s and hotchkis springs , or just use the lower perch mod/hose mod to lower the car slightly..
Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think the 19's are hurting you in every way imaginable - comfort, tire cost, performance, mpg... everything.

For a DD street car I would be wondering about the SLP spec shocks and springs. Wonder how much they lower the car and ride vs how much Strano springs lower and ride, for example.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Launching!

My DD is a 98 Camaro 3.8. Here's what I did. Used SS sway bars with urathane bushings and end links. Koni yellows and Eibach pro kit. SFC's and STB. Firehawk wheels, slotted rotors, Goodrich SS brake lines. Did this almost 3 years ago. No spring sag. The stance of the car is still perfect. It handles so good I wish it had more power!!! BTW I cant complain about the ride either. You can adjust the Konis.

Stock is still going to be your smoothest ride. A wider tire will give you a better ride. My goal was the best ride and handling all in one.

Last edited by 38DD2436; 08-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

If your ride is harsh get new shocks and springs. Eibach springs suck! Get some strano or bmr springs and bilstein shocks.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I agree with this. Another option is the SLP bilstein lowering kit which is lke q 3/4" drop. If you have the money you can invest in some koni's.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
If your ride is harsh get new shocks and springs. Eibach springs suck! Get some strano or bmr springs and bilstein shocks.
Just curious. Do you have any hard data to confirm your statement that "Eibachs suck"? Sorry off topic.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Launching!

BTW now that I have Eibachs in my car, how call I tell that they suck??
Old 08-12-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
BTW now that I have Eibachs in my car, how call I tell that they suck??
drive it and get back to us...
Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Launching!

What should I expect ? I dont ralley or autoX. Just street DD.

Last edited by 38DD2436; 08-12-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Your 19" wheels tire combo is hurting your ride. Eibachs have a reputation for being too low for the modest spring rate. Inspect your bumpstops, if they're smashed to crap this (springs bottoming out too much) could be the source of the harsh ride, or at least some of it!
Worn out shocks could be a source too. Some tire brands ride harder than others as well.
Look at your suspension as a complete system that works together. There could be one thing that will improve the ride or the particular combo is not working well together. I think this may be your issue.
Look for broken, worn out stuff first and go from there.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
What should I expect ? I dont ralley or autoX. Just street DD.
My eibachs rode rough, and my rear bump stops definitely showed it.

I can't comment on the ride too much other than that, because I did konis/stranos at the same time, but afterwards the car didn't drive like a damn boat anymore. Definitely more stable at higher speeds, bumps wouldn't have the car still bouncing 100 yards down the road..etc.

My car on the stranos still rides rough at times, but as stated thats just a sacrifice with a lowered car.

My buddy's Cobalt SS on eibachs rides rough sometimes too, not sure if its just the eibachs, balt, who knows what. I
ll just say I don't miss mine a bit
Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know strano sells the kit, but you colud get the factory slp package springs and bilsteins
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 67goatman455
i know strano sells the kit, but you colud get the factory slp package springs and bilsteins
I just looked that up, and like the sound of that, my stock junk is worn out, and need a replacement. Not sure I will like the lowered car sacrifices for sure. Anyone running this setup have feedback and pics?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

In my opinion, you are going to be faced with making some sacrifices here. As mentioned above, the 19-inch wheels are certainly going to have an impact on overall ride quality. No only with the extra weight of the wheel, but the absence of the sidewall, which can greatly impact comfort.

That being said, the Bilstein shocks are a fine choice and they are probably the best option available for the money. When I asked Bilstein directly about the SLP version of their shock, I was told the part number for the "SLP Bilstein" and the HD are identical when ordered directly from Bilstein. There is no longer any difference from the HD shock. Several years ago it used to be a softer alternative, but Bilstein doesn't acknowledge them as a separate part, nor do they offer it. So I don't know if everyone is selling some special shocks they've torn into but, according to Bilstein, they didn't make them any differently. This is a good way to save a few coins.

As for springs, Eibachs are known for not being the best when it comes to ride quality...or maintaining their claimed drop distance... They certainly look really good because they deliver one of the more aggressive drops offered for the F-body. But, the claims of them being "crap" usually stems from their notorious spring sag and overly aggressive rates that provide poor ride quality.

You're currently running the AGX shocks, I see. These are also notorious for a less-than-stellar ride. I agree with everyone that you'll need to switch your shocks out. And, to be honest, you should probably look into different lowering springs if you want to achieve improved comfort. Many of our customers consider our springs to be very easy-riding and definitely work well at the track and on the street. They're proven and come with a lifetime warranty.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

KYB anything is junk. Eibach springs are not junk they just weren't designed well on these cars. For a good ride while being lowered Bilstein or Koni shocks ARE the ONLY way to go. For springs BMR, Strano, Hotchkis are much better choices than Eibach.

Quick Reply: Best DD Suspension Set-Up