Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP, rearend issue

Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default HELP, rearend issue

The real problem is that there is a "popping" noise in the rear end. I can't really tell where the noise is coming from but at times, when I turn a slow turn there will be a sharp pop or snap come from the rear end. It doesn't repeat, generally its just a single pop noise. When it happens you can feel the car shift slightly but I can't tell whats doing this.

It ONLY happens when turning or just after while accelerating.

Its almost like the rear end gets shifted to one side and then when the car shifts its weight something slips.

universal joint?
could it be a broken C Clip?
or a busted carrier bearing mount/cap?
should i pull the housing cover?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have seen the stock torque arm bend approx six inches ahead of the rear, and then it causes noises such as you are describing. I'd look to see if the front of the rear is starting to angle upward, it's worth a shot. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you'll have to do some detective work. Remove the housing cover. Fish around and see what you can find
Old 08-10-2012, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks fellas.....i'm going to get it up on jack stands this weekend and see what i can find
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a ford lightning do this and it was the spider gears. The teeth were jumping over each other in tight turns instead of pushing outwards and engaging clutch packs, the gears were worn down and had sharp points on the ends. Took less than $100 to get it running again without removing gears, GL...
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Default rear end

I just bought a camaro ss and two days later i had the same problem , I was driven the car around banged it into second gear hard , i then hard a "pop" drove it home no problems and when i turned into the drive way it felt like something was getting caught up and then BANG it snapped back into place , I didnt know what the problem was just figured it was the drive shaft , u joints , control arm , hoping it was anything but the rear end . I drove the car up and down the road to see if i can hear where the sound was coming from but it only did it when i turned at slow speeds , I jacked the car up went under there and check everything out then decided to take the rear end cover off and it was clear as day that was the problem the diff is cracked in every place possible
Attached Thumbnails HELP, rearend issue-rear-end.jpg   HELP, rearend issue-rear-end-4.jpg   HELP, rearend issue-rear-end-6.jpg   HELP, rearend issue-rear-end-2.jpg   HELP, rearend issue-rear-end-5.jpg  

Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I suspect a posi replacement is in your future.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wavebyby
I just bought a camaro ss and two days later i had the same problem , I was driven the car around banged it into second gear hard , i then hard a "pop" drove it home no problems and when i turned into the drive way it felt like something was getting caught up and then BANG it snapped back into place , I didnt know what the problem was just figured it was the drive shaft , u joints , control arm , hoping it was anything but the rear end . I drove the car up and down the road to see if i can hear where the sound was coming from but it only did it when i turned at slow speeds , I jacked the car up went under there and check everything out then decided to take the rear end cover off and it was clear as day that was the problem the diff is cracked in every place possible
thanks for the pics man......i didn't get to pull the cover this weekend, but i will soon.....i'm thinking mine's going to look exactly the same as yours on the inside......it does perfect when i'm driving in a straight line, soon as i turn it goes to ****.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i think you're right.....at least i can still drive it for now.....i'll have to baby it until i can find something used.......damn i wish i had the money for a 9"
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

yea mine did the same thing , I can go straight all day long as soon as i turn it was a piece of **** , once i made it half way though the turn it would pop then go back to normal , I just jacked it up and pulled that cover off took like 10 mins with a socket and a ratchet nothing fancy , jacked it up put it on jack stands and drained the rear and took the cover off to find out its going to cost me more money , I found a stock rear end on craigslist for $200 or best offer and the shop wants $150 to put it in so im looking at $350 or less depending how much i can talk the guy down on the rear end
Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Posi, plus new ring and pinion. That means a complete set up

Al 95 Z28

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP, rearend issue