LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Budget Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Mods

What mods can I do with little to no cost? Does a muffler delete really make a difference? And if so how far back do you reccomend to cut it?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Search airbox mod...port your throttle body...port your intake manifold...buy a turbo. Ok only 3 of those are budget mods. Are you tuned yet? What do u have done now?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i felt a difference with the muffler delete. but i didnt like the sound at all... i thought it sounded too much like a truck with glasspacks on it. so i ended up just cutting it off at the y-pipe and using a single in to dual out 1 chamber muffler and then made new tail pipes.

might take your air box and open up the intake to it. if i remember its like a 2 inch opening for air to get in.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

I'm bone stock now she's getting a built tranny and a shift kit next week plan for hp tuner tune and k&n cai
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got vince to do a trifecta tune....best money I've ever spent. He gets no respect on this forum but he's a gm master. Data logs and retunes for future mods are free. Ill give you my mods and tell you how they were... Tune $375....night and day difference.
Catlless Downpipe and u bend delete. $200 almost as much difference as tune. Cold air intake 200 and exhaust ???? Almost no difference. I don't have an aftermarket intake manifold but it supposedly will make a large difference for around 600-800 depending on how you piece it together. If your if you don't plan on spending thousands on a cam swap I would go to 1.8 roller rockers for around 400 bucks your looking at around 15-25hp depending on supporting mods. And if your ballin shotcalling go straight for the turbo. Cartuning with intercooler and meth injection. Your already going the right route with the trans upgrades. Also you can port and polish the stick heads with better valves and springs. They can also be decked to raise the compression. Davidgxp knows more about that. He has around a million dollars into his car lol. Sorry for rambling, not a lot of free mods but these are the ones that make a difference. I would skip the muffler delete. It's way to loud in a bad way. The biggest bottleneck in the exhaust is the Downpipe mouth which necks to under 2 inches. So unless you replace the Downpipe and u bend your not gonna get any bigger power gains. So hopefully that will get you started. And if you need vinces info its trifecta tuning they work with wot tuning.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man what's that tune u were talking about like how do I get it on my car ( I know I sound dumb but I grew up building dirt bikes not cars) how much better would it be then this shop here tuning it with hp tuners they were telling me around 40+ hp gains and 5-6 mpg's for $250 I know quite a few guys with 5.3 trucks that run awesome with this tune and all our sheriffs trucks are tuned by them also.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You call vince tell him your mods and plans. He tailors a tune and sends you a cable and an emailed tune. You will need a pc. You load the tune into car via the cable he mails you. You select data log and drive around for a few minutes with some hard pulls. Email him the log. He tweaks it...and you do that til the tune is perfect. That 40 hp and 5-6 mpgs is total bs. The stock tune isn't that bad in these cars. It's the shift points that will make the bigger difference. It's around $300 but, if you ever change manifolds or change anything the retune is free. That shop will keep charging you. His customer service is phenomenal.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Sell and buy a LT1.

Hahaha, all joking aside. I did a custom cat-back with Magnaflow mufflers and I put down 254HP to the wheels. That was my only mod. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Start searching thru the classifieds for use part's,or save up for what you want
I was once told "its not cheep to go fast,but fast to go broke"
Old 08-09-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I once read....you can get a good look at a tbone by sticking your head up a butchers ***, but wouldn't you rather take the cows word for it? Wait....nevermind yeah thats it.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got done emailing the wot tuning guys just a word of advice though they lock the pcms out unless u wana go back to stock. So be wanred before u buy
Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vince through trifecta performance does not lock the pcm. But if you broker through wot tuning they do. Go to trifecta web site and email vince directly. He responds quickly to email. And that's not always a bad thing anyway. You just have to go back to them to make changes. And I don't want multiple tuners adjusting setups, ill stick to one at time.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jay z28
sell and buy a lt1.

hahaha, all joking aside. I did a custom cat-back with magnaflow mufflers and i put down 254hp to the wheels. That was my only mod. Good luck.
lt1<ls1
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
I once read....you can get a good look at a tbone by sticking your head up a butchers ***, but wouldn't you rather take the cows word for it? Wait....nevermind yeah thats it.

Quick Reply: Budget Mods