Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing tint == easy

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removing tint == easy

So my father bought a used 03 Z06 that had HEAVY HEAVY tint on the side, back, and a lot of the front. My 98 SS that I've had for a while has tint on the back from when I bought it, just never got around to removing it.

I got this sucker: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46098

I had a 5$ off and free shipping for HF so I picked it up for $25 shipped. I figured, what the heck, it's better than nothing.

It's not the best, but it got that stuff off like nothing. 30 seconds on a corner and you can peel it off by hand, no razors required. I had all 4 windows done in 30 mins. The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the adhesive off. 3m adhesive remover and some steel wool and it's almost all gone. Lots of elbow grease required. I tried a few different things, didn't seem to matter much (3m, bug + tar remover, turpentine, all worked about the same).

I've seen some writeups regarding ammonia and razor blades and stuff. Just not necessary at ALL. I did this on a 40 degree day too, so the sun wasn't helping at all.

Dope
Old 04-06-2004, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a razor on the very corner of the window just to get it started then all the tint peeled right off. I used a Shark portable steam cleaner to get the glue off. The Shark (sell em at Sears I believe) got all the glue loose, no steel wool or anything else. Do not ever try to use a razor to get the glue off the window. Everyone on the net was saying, " use a razor and this, use a razor and that". I tried that 1st and ruined the passenger side window. It will scratch! The steam cleaners are awesome.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are removing the tint b/c....?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

I read a article one time about mixing up some soapy water the applying is GENEROUSLY then placing black garbage bags over the window and let it sit in the sunlight. Supposedly the film comes right off.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99MONGOOSE
I read a article one time about mixing up some soapy water the applying is GENEROUSLY then placing black garbage bags over the window and let it sit in the sunlight. Supposedly the film comes right off.
Getting the film off easy, the glue on the other hand is a PITA.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Launching!

I've heard this also. Does anyone know if these REALLY works?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no need, the film comes off really easy with a little steaming on a corner to get it started.

I'll have to try the steamer on the glue. It's been crappy weather and I haven't finished getting it off the back. My rear tint was really old so it's pretty hard.

To whoever asked 'Why?' - because tint sucks. I bought both cars with tint on it last year, just put off taking the tint off because of winter.

Dope
Old 04-09-2004, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

I had a tint shop tell me the same thing, only difference was they used amonia. He also said cut the garbage bag down the sides so its only one layer thick and not two.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Launching!

I did some more research on the Internet and found that instead of using ammonia use simple green. I slightly diluted some simple green, then sprayed my tinted window and stuck a cut up black plastic bag on it. I waited about 30 minutes so the sun could heat it up and peeled the tint right off. I didn't put the bag on the entire window and noticed that the tint was still glued much stronger on the part that didn't get covered. It really works. Just let it sit in the sun long enough with the bag.

Quick Reply: Removing tint == easy