Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Camaros rear thinking

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Camaros rear thinking

I recently had time to discuss with the reps from Strange Eng. about replacing the independent rear in the Camaro with there S60. Won't fit! The gas tank is designed for the independent rear only. The 9" for the COPO has the gas tank removed. So spend $3000. to beef up the independent. Or, buy a Mustang with the 8.8 rear. Note to Chevrolet. If I want a Corvette I'll buy one. Put the S60 in the next Camaro. Morons.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

.............. k.

The IRS wasn't to make the Camaro like a corvette. And you do realize Ford is planning to put IRS in the next mustang too right?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked on a car with one of these the other day. Quite impressive but I would NEVER use one.

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/rear_...suspension.php

Al 95 Z28
Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Wait. Let me see if I got this right...

You want to put a solid axle rear in an independent rear suspension car, and you're pissed that the solid axle won't fit?

Welcome to the world of 'custom.'

You might want to buy a helmet, too. Life sucks when you're ignorant.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

It was very very short sided of GM to think EVERYONE in the trailerpark wants a Indy rear at the dragstrip. They (indys) are great for old guys, road course, cruisers and chicks that dont race. Its just another overly complex thing to cause problems down the road.
I'll keep my PONTIAC F-bodys with a solid rear.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

It's very *short sighted* of you to believe that the car was designed with heavy (Yes, swapping rear suspension types is a *heavy* mod) chassis modifications in mind.

It's not like the rear suspension is hidden before you buy the car, if you don't want IRS then don't buy it. I don't get what the problem with it is, anyway; you can't beat IRS for handling and from when I've seen, it's not bad at straight line, either.

The car was designed to be driven on the street, and handle corners. It was never designed to be a quarter mile wonder as 99% of the buying public drives their cars on the street, not at the drag strip.

Oh, enjoy your solid rear axle. You did replace it with a $2500-$3000 unit, right? Otherwise they tend to blow up.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSX user
I recently had time to discuss with the reps from Strange Eng. about replacing the independent rear in the Camaro with there S60. Won't fit! The gas tank is designed for the independent rear only. The 9" for the COPO has the gas tank removed. So spend $3000. to beef up the independent. Or, buy a Mustang with the 8.8 rear. Note to Chevrolet. If I want a Corvette I'll buy one. Put the S60 in the next Camaro. Morons.
so are you putting down big big numbers? or whats the reason of going to a solid axle? 95% of corvette guys use irs and they tend to hold their own.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

irs ftw id switch in a heartbeat. https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...up-school.html
Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What they should have done is design it like the 03-04 Cobras. You could pull the IRS out, and install a straight axle with no mods at all. Straight bolt in. That way you could go straight axle for drag racers, IRS for those who like to turn corners.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, because that giant pile of compromise garbage worked so well they use it in the newer cars... Oh, wait...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

OK, lets walk through the staging lanes and see how many cars have an IRS. Given a choice, NO ONE. I'm just pissed that the design of the fuel tank/rear compartment pan prohibits swapping to a better, stronger rear. This makes a 07-08 Mustang with an 8.8 look really cost effective for my new build. Rather painful after working at Chevrolet 30+ years. Knowing GM, and I do, I bet they couldn't get a supplier for the solid differential. Quantity was to low and price was way to high. No one at powertrain would be this stupid. This is right out of purchasing/accounting. Morons 2.0
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't seen any 5th gens blow their IRS up at the track but I'm sure it happens, I also haven't seen one run faster than 12s. I think the manufactures listen to the magazine pundits too much and give us stuff that nobody wants but automotive elitists. Look at the new Boss 302, it does just fine with a live axle.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, now count all the cars in the staging lanes, then count all the cars in the street. Which one has more?

Once again, GM didn't build the car for the .01% that wants a drag strip vehicle. They built it for the other 99.99% that drive their cars on the street, every day, who want better handling and ride quality.

Want a solid axle in a 5th gen? Bust out your plasma cutter and welder, and quit crying about it.

I've driven both cars, a solid axle mustang and a 5th gen. The 5th gen blows the solid axle mustang out of the water when it comes to ride quality and handling.

These threads are making me loose faith in humanity and LS1Tech.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The new ZL1 has a beefy rear, would that work?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The_Bishop

I've driven both cars, a solid axle mustang and a 5th gen. The 5th gen blows the solid axle mustang out of the water when it comes to ride quality and handling.
As have I and I find your conclusion to be a lot different than mine. After driving the new Camaro at Bondurant for a full day, I can honestly say it's a very nice handling car. But not one bit better than a live axle Mustang. After driving a new Camaro on the street for two days, I felt the same way...very nice handling car...albeit, really heavy feeling car...but again, no better than the Mustang.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Something else to consider - the Camaro is based on the Zeta platform. That platform isn't designed for a solid axle in the first place. Instead of totally redesigning the entire rear chassis, suspension, and drivetrain it probably made more sense to stick with what the chassis already was meant for.

Next gen will be IRS for BOTH cars.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put the gas tank in the trunk and fab in a solid axle.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

That's exactally what you have to do. Move the gas tank to the trunk. It's still a bitch. Figure, the Camaro is the most popular drag car of all time and it gets an IRS. Really? I'd like a name on who made this happen. Even a short list would do. The guys from STRANGE told me don't even think about it. (S60). Funny, the COPO cars have, a NINE INCH !!!! No ****. Ya think. Wait till one of these cars sends a tire/wheel/axel shaft into the crowd. This is what happens with borrowed platform builds. You get a bastard car.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Again, whether we like it or not GM didn't build the car for the 1% that drag race their cars, but rather the 99% that drive them day to day. To them it really doesn't matter, or in marketing they can say they have the "better" IRS setup (which all else being equal IRS will technically be better on the street).
Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Teching In

The 03-04 Cobra's IRS swaps out so easily because Ford adapted the IRS to an existing platform. GM isn't going to base the suspension of a brand new car on a design that debuted in 1982 and was discontinued for 8 years before resurrecting the nameplate.