General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS light on after replacing shocks & struts?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on after replacing shocks & struts?!?

Okay so I had my struts and shocks replaced yesterday and ever since I got the car back the abs light is on and was on the whole ride home. Also the tracton control stays off and I have no idea why...anyone know what's going on here and know if it's a real fault with the abs or just a code that was thrown caused by uneven wheel spin? Last time this happened I was getting my smog check done but it went away after a half block...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 AM
...with cheese.

Sounds like a wheel sensor or it's wire was damaged during the installation. There's a magnetic pickup sensor on each hub that sends readings back to the ABS controller. If any of the 4 sensors cease to function correctly for whatever reason you'll get an ABS code and your ABS will be disabled until the system is complete again. Take the car back to the shop that did the work and explain your situation. They shouldn't have the first bit of trouble locating the problem with a scanner and if it was something they damaged, kindly ask them to remedy it.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Do you think that's the only thing that might cause that to happen after changing shocks & struts? Im just trying to relay all this info to the one who installed everything...& should that computer tell exactly what's wrong?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. It is pretty easy to pinch wires or something else when doing shocks.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:03 PM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by RIP_SVT
Do you think that's the only thing that might cause that to happen after changing shocks & struts? Im just trying to relay all this info to the one who installed everything...& should that computer tell exactly what's wrong?
I'm almost certain that's what happened. The ABS code should indicate which sensor is faulty.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Launching!

It could be that something got pinched or damaged, OR the mechanic may have removed the sensor to make more room to get the strut out and not hit the sensor, and simply forgot to reinstall it.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Default Struts suck

I know one thing, I'd like to find Mr. ******* McPherson and beat the **** out of him with his sorry assed McPherson piece of **** struts!!! Most damn stupid unnecessary ridiculous design I have EVER seen in my entire life. Shocks worked fine (and still do) for years before this jackass decided to cram a shock inside a spring, under pressure, and stick under a vehicle. I wonder if McPherson bought his stock in the spring compressor tool Co. before or after he invented his stupid McPherson strut.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Low fluid causes this also...
Old 04-03-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Blown bulb in the center brake light - the one in the spoiler - causes abs light. F body electrics. :slap:

Quick Reply: ABS light on after replacing shocks & struts?!?